Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Coconut Oil Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 13 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm looking for coconut oil that is very tasteless -- most of the smell and flavor of coconut removed, but still pure and healthy coconut oil?

Is there such a thing? A local friend mentioned she had some, but I never have been able to get the brand from her.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Do you not like the taste? I've never found one totally tasteless, but I do like Tropical Traditions coconut oil. It is not completely tasteless, however, so probably not what you're looking for.

Have you tried combining the coconut oil half and half with olive oil? That can help reduce the coconutty flavor some.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We like a coconut flavor, so I've never experimented with alternatives myself, but this product by tropical traditions is supposed to be more bland than less processed varieties and yet still healthful.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yes, I don't particularly like the flavor of coconut in different things that aren't traditionally that flavor. I have Nutiva and I just can't stomach it at all. That jar is not being used!

I'm trying to experiment with substituting butter, particularly in baking.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

A bit off topic (maybe), but have you tried this recipe?

Mary's Oil Blend from Eat Fat, Loose Fat

This is what the recipe description says:
This wonderful blend of three oils can be used in salad dressings or as a cooking oil. When used for cooking, flavors come through beautifully, and the blend does not burn as easily as pure coconut oil. In salads, it provides all the benefits of coconut oil and does not have the strong taste of olive oil. In mayonnaise, it provides firmness when chilled. Be sure that the sesame oil you purchase is truly expeller expressed or cold pressed, since the very high temperatures used during processing destroy the unique protective antioxidants in sesame oils.

1 cup coconut oil, gently melted
1 cup expeller-expressed or cold pressed sesame oil
1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Mix all ingredients together in a glass jar, cover tightly and store at room temperature.

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

I recently read an article (that was posted on FB) that dispelled the idea that unrefined coconut oil is superior (nutritionally) to refined coconut oil. If that's the case, then problem solved. Refined coconut oil is virtually tasteless/odorless. But I can't remember either who authored the article, or who posted it. Keeper of the Home? Food Renegade? Healthy Home Economist?    I would really like to dig up this article and discuss the merits; the author made very valid arguments for this being the case. Lindsay, did you come across any such article on FB by chance too?

Will Google around for it ....

Also, just a personal preference thing, but I really *really* didn't like the flavor of Tropical Traditions. I bought a jar and ended up getting rid of it. Right now I really like Spectrum Organics.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Chris V wrote:
Right now I really like Spectrum Organics.

Is what I have now also - first time really using a coconut oil (as I don't like taste or smell either) and this one doesn't taste or smell coconutty.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Psshh03
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 13 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Psshh03

I get expeller pressed from wilderness family naturals and it has no taste. The process they use is supposed to be better than the refining of oil. A group of us go in on a co op every so often and it's about 35 for a gallon! The tubs they come in are nice too once you are done with your oil.

Hope this helps!
Back to Top View Psshh03's Profile Search for other posts by Psshh03

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

MaryM wrote:
Chris V wrote:

Is what I have now also - first time really using a coconut oil (as I don't like taste or smell either) and this one doesn't taste or smell coconutty.

This is what I use as well. I find it very mild,hardly flavored at all.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2012 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Psshh03 wrote:
I get expeller pressed from wilderness family naturals and it has no taste. The process they use is supposed to be better than the refining of oil. A group of us go in on a co op every so often and it's about 35 for a gallon! The tubs they come in are nice too once you are done with your oil.

Hope this helps!

I have a good friend who does this. She gets her Wilderness Family coconut oil through Azure Stndard. I've never tried this brand so buying a gallon is too much of a commitment. ... But it's a very good price!

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2012 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

MaryM wrote:
Chris V wrote:

A favorite here, too. Love the Spectrum oils!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:
Do you not like the taste? I've never found one totally tasteless, but I do like Tropical Traditions coconut oil. It is not completely tasteless, however, so probably not what you're looking for.

Have you tried combining the coconut oil half and half with olive oil? That can help reduce the coconutty flavor some.

Are you using the expeller pressed Tropical Traditions?

I haven't done the combining...as this is for baking, and olive oil has a dominant flavor, too.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

JennGM wrote:
stellamaris wrote:

Are you using the expeller pressed Tropical Traditions?

I haven't done the combining...as this is for baking, and olive oil has a dominant flavor, too.

I use the "Gold Label", but it does taste coconutty. I think I must have gotten used to the taste, as I do remember that I had a problem with the flavor when I first started using coconut oil a couple of years ago. The taste doesn't bother me at all now, in fact, I like it! However, you might be better off with one of the suggestions from the other ladies...sounds as if they are more bland.

For baking, I use melted coconut oil and sometimes butter, but if you're going dairy-free, butter isn't an option. Olive oil is way too flavorful for baking, although some recipes are designed with it as the fat. I think I have a cake recipe somewhere that uses olive oil. Probably tastes pretty different.

How about mixing the coconut oil with applesauce or pumpkin puree half and half for baking? That would work for cake/muffin types of baking, I think. It might cut the flavor of the coconut. I've substituted pumpkin puree for all of the fat in a cake recipe before and had success. I'm not sure whether it would work with gluten-free baking, but I don't know why it wouldn't. Maybe someone else has tried this with a gluten-free flour?

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Does anyone know if there is a difference in taste between the refined and unrefined spectrum coconut oils? We have always used the refined, but I've found the unrefined at amazon for a much better price than at our local grocery store.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

The unrefined should taste like coconut; the refined should NOT.

We are now on our 3rd gallon or so of the Tropical Traditions refined - and I LOVE it. I still hate the taste of coconut and I have never had an issue with this oil at all.

And I think they are a Catholic-owned company - their Facebook posts of late have been more and more blatantly Catholic - always God-centered for sure.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 22 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

The Spectrum Organic Coconut oil is the first kind of coconut oil I ever used. I was sort of disappointed when I opened it and it didn't smell or taste like coconut, so that might be one that you'd like. I was confused when I heard someone tell me how much they loved the coconutty flavor that coconut oil put into their food, because the coconut oil that I'd tried didn't really have any flavor at all! lol
Back to Top View millermom1110's Profile Search for other posts by millermom1110

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2013 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

millermom1110 wrote:
The Spectrum Organic Coconut oil is the first kind of coconut oil I ever used. I was sort of disappointed when I opened it and it didn't smell or taste like coconut, so that might be one that you'd like. I was confused when I heard someone tell me how much they loved the coconutty flavor that coconut oil put into their food, because the coconut oil that I'd tried didn't really have any flavor at all! lol

I am curious - was that kind refined or unrefined/virgin?

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

I'm not positive, but I think it may have been. It's been a couple of years since I had it.
Back to Top View millermom1110's Profile Search for other posts by millermom1110

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version