Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Looking for a Marian Image... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Oh! I found one image of Mary reading to Jesus. This isn't the one I'm thinking of. The one I'm thinking of is BOTH Mary and Joseph, but it's a start!

Mary reading to Jesus

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Christine wrote:
Here's a history of Our Lady of Olives.

Now I was searching last night for an image to use in my blog of "Madonna of the Springtime" by Barabino (which is referenced in a book) and came across Nicolo Barabino's Madonnas. From this page the name is actually "Madonna of the Lemons." Hmmmm.

Now one of his images is "Madonna of the Olives". I'm confused a little as the text seems to contradict which one is actually the Olives picture.

I have one I have searched for off and on. There is a gorgeous painting in the entrance of the Gift Shop at the Franciscan Monastery in DC which I think is called "Our Lady of Palestine" or "Our Lady of the Holy Land." It's been a while since I saw it...but the Madonna of Olives is reminiscent to me of the picture. Hmmmm....I think I took a picture years ago of that image.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Mother of Our Savior sells individual holy cards some of Mary. Our Lady of Grace, Our Lady of Fatima and Our Lady of Guadalupe, as well as some others are shown on their site.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Thanks for the link, Christine. I saw lots of packs of ten of the same image but no packages of a variety of Marian images. Did I miss something?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Sorry, Elizabeth. I didn't notice the packages. You might try calling their 800 number, as I am pretty sure that in their mailed catalog they provide the option to purchase individual paper cards (non-laminated). I don't currently have a paper catalog, so I can't check.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Elizabeth, Catholic Store has some and they are definitely individual cards.    The holy cards of Mary are grouped together, so it's easier to navigate and choose what you want.

Pretty Lilla Rose

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Elizabeth, what about finding a color catalog that has pictures of regular holy cards that you could cut out and decoupage? Would that solve the waterproof ink problem?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

From th website:
"By virtue of the medal of Our Lady of Olives -- so goes the tradition -- the persons who carry it are preserved from lightning wherever they be during a storm. But there is a second privilege related to the medal of Our Lady of Olives. It protects women who are about to become mothers and assists them in the hour of birth."

How appropriate for my grandfather to have had this, living in Tampa, the Lightning Capitol of the US!

Interesting about the childbirth protection as well.
Thanks ladies, for the insight into this family treasure.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Christine wrote:
Catholic Store has some and they are definitely individual cards.

Problem is these are all laminated too - wouldn't work for decoupage. This very Catholic Store is here in Denver a few miles from me - I know they also carry paper holy cards which they sell individually (15 cents) though they aren't listed on their website. Do you need me to make a trip???

This site - Totally Catholic has a pack of 100 paper holy cards for $11.95. You would get a lot of other saints as well but probably end up with a good variety of Marian images.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

TracyQ wrote:
Oh! I found one image of Mary reading to Jesus. This isn't the one I'm thinking of. The one I'm thinking of is BOTH Mary and Joseph, but it's a start!

Mary reading to Jesus

What about this one - they aren't exactly reading but it's the whole Holy Family in front of an open book.

Holy Family "reading"

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Dawn wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a series of Dutch prints (or maybe it's a book?) called "Jesu Christi dei Domini Salvatoris nostri Infantia" (The Infancy of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ).

Well Dawn, no luck. I found the book Legends of the Madonna (Anna Jamison) at that seminary library. It is the one that is posted on the internet and that quote is directly from it. The problem is there isn't a lot of art work actually in the book. She describes different pieces of art throughout and these Dutch prints are one that is decribed. There is no additonal info that could be used to track them down. The only footnote in that section refers to the poet, Samuel Coleridge. Apparently he saw one of the prints in an inn in Germany. Each of the prints had a latin verse under it. He took the verse from under this particular print and wrote
"The Virgin's Cradle Hymn."

This is a mystery that has me intrigued, but not sure where else to go with it

Our Domestic Church

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MaryM wrote:
   This very Catholic Store is here in Denver a few miles from me - I know they also carry paper holy cards which they sell individually (15 cents) though they aren't listed on their website. Do you need me to make a trip???

Thanks Mary, that's very kind. I may send dh there to stock up when he's in Denver. I found thumbnails of twelve Marian paintings on the back of the calendar we got from the Basilica. So, I just completely destroyed December and cut up the calendar. It's not exactly what I wanted. I wanted one name of Mary for each day in May. But that might become a longterm project. For now, we have the eleven images of Polish Madonnas and twelve from the Basilica art. I need a tree and then we're good to go...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Mary,
    Thank you! That's not the one, but it is a nice one for sure, and if I can't find the other one anywhere, we could use this. I'd like to buy or print a size of about 5 by 7ish to put up with a sign I'd like to make for our home, stating the name of our school, with the picture, and a Scripture verse, and a quote from Blessed Mother Teresa. Guess I don't want too much, do I?

Now I remember where I saw the print! It was at the Fatima Shrine in Lewiston's bookstore. This past Christmas, I didn't see it there anymore. Maybe I'll try to ask them if they remember carrying it.

Anyway, this is great! Thanks!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Elizabeth wrote:
Thanks Mary, that's very kind. I may send dh there to stock up when he's in Denver.
I really can go - it's not a problem. Anyone else interested in a Marian set of Holy Cards?

Our Domestic Church

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Christine

MaryM wrote:
Christine wrote:
Catholic Store has some and they are definitely individual cards.

Problem is these are all laminated too - wouldn't work for decoupage.

I need more sleep.

Pretty Lilla Rose

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Tracy, is this the one? If it is, I have a larger version that I can e-mail you (just pm me).

Pretty Lilla Rose

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Christine wrote:
Tracy, is this the one? If it is, I have a larger version that I can e-mail you (just pm me).
Wow, Christine that one is great - I'll bet that is going to be the one Tracy meant.

Our Domestic Church

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

YES! THAT's THE ONE!!!! THAT's THE ONE!!!!! Oh, THANK YOU CHRISTINE!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!             

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

TracyQ wrote:
I may have found the one of Mary teaching Jesus to WALK!!!! Is this it????

Mary teaching Jesus to walk image

YES!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2006 at 4:44am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MaryM wrote:
Well Dawn, no luck. I found the book Legends of the Madonna (Anna Jamison) at that seminary library. It is the one that is posted on the internet and that quote is directly from it. The problem is there isn't a lot of art work actually in the book ...

This is a mystery that has me intrigued, but not sure where else to go with it

Mary, thank you very much for taking the time to research these prints. I guess we'll never know!

What a wonderful group of women we are! I just love the way everyone tries to help and track down things for each other.

I also love how we are all so drawn to these images of Mary in her role as mother and homemaker. Caring for our families is such joy and yet such hard work too. I find myself praying so often to our Mother (and St. Joseph) specifically for support and direction in this. Seeing these images, or even just hearing about them, give me such inspiration and strength.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version