Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Looking for a Marian Image... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

...of the Blessed Virgin hanging laundry. The baby Jesus is sitting on the ground next to her. Is anyone able to locate this picture or tell me its name?
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Polish Madonna from Leaflet Missal is one source. I have seen it in other places. It's one of my favorites.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rebecca, I found the site I was originally looking for: Nelson Woodcraft. Here's the specific link to Polish Madonna.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

If I can jump in here too...

We are looking for an image of Mary, Star of the Sea. We've found churches (a really cool one nearby, another in NY) but no images. Any ideas?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

marihalojen wrote:
We are looking for an image of Mary, Star of the Sea.

If you search the Latin "Stella Maris" I think you get more hits. Here are some:
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Icon
I'm guessing you are going to use this for your blog or homeschool patroness - how fitting!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Thanks so much, Jenn! I love this picture and wanted to add it to a blog post I am writing. (Hoping it is not under copyright!)

I also would like to get a copy of it for our home. It is just so pretty. I love pictures of Our Lady doing everyday things!

I knew I saw it in someone's avatar and here it was Donna Marie's.    
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Oh thank you, Mary!!!

We've tried to find this image before several times. We keep running into her, during Florida State reports and even in Key West! (Site of my new favorite church - Saint Mary Star of the Sea - of course)

For May we decided to try one of the amazing ideas from this Forum a day and what better to start with than what we've been running into/searching for, for so long? Since we hadn't an image to begin with dd made our own in mosaic and it is fabulous!
(And properly loaded on my blog now for viewing.)

Two very happy people here,
Jennifer and Marianna

Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I also wanted to say that I really like this thread and think that it is very appropriate for all the fun things everyone appears to be doing this month. Perhaps I am one of the cases that have such a time trying to find things on-line or maybe because this forum is such a blessed area but the answers I find here are timely and spot-on.

I guess I actually just wanted to say thank you to all the participants here at 4 Real Learning and let you know that you are in my prayers.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2006 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Rebecca wrote:
I love pictures of Our Lady doing everyday things!

I do too! Has anyone ever seen a series of Dutch prints (or maybe it's a book?) called "Jesu Christi dei Domini Salvatoris nostri Infantia" (The Infancy of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ). I came across a description of them in Mary's Flowers.

Apparently the prints show a sort of history of the chilhood of Jesus and Mary's many homemaking skills. From the book:

"Mary is shown engaged in various needle-craft and weaving activities ... She does needlework while Jesus sleeps in his cradle, measures linen whie Saint Anne looks on and Jesus blows soap-bubbles, knits a stocking while Jesus helps Joseph build a boat. She is shown seated at her spinning-wheel, carding wool or flax, winding thread, reeling off a skein of thread, and spinning with a distaff. Joseph is shown erecting a fence around a garden in the last scene. Jesus, assisted by angels, fastens the palings together and Mary weaves a garland of roses."

Doesn't that just sound so beautiful? I would just love to see the images themselves but so far can't find them online ...   

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 03 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

OK Dawn, I've spent an inordinate amount of time also trying to find these for you as they sound lovely. I did find a few Madonnas engaged in domestic activites but they weren't part of this series of prints. I did find this description though of all the prints - "Jesu Christi dei Domini Salvatoris nostri Infantia" -have you seen this? Legends of the Madonna
It makes me want to find them even more. I found that they have a couple books by this title (Legends of the Madonna) from the late 1800s in our seminary library. I'm going to be going there tomorrow and will check if they are the same source and if there are any pictures.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2006 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MaryM wrote:
I did find this description though of all the prints - "Jesu Christi dei Domini Salvatoris nostri Infantia" -have you seen this? Legends of the Madonna
It makes me want to find them even more.

Mary, thank you so much for looking around for these images!! I checked your link and it is the same place (but different page) where I found some information too: Legends of the Madonna - The Carpenter's Shop.

I will be very eager to hear if you (or anyone) finds these images in some form! They sound so inspiring and beautiful. Thanks again for your help!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 03 2006 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Dawn wrote:
I checked your link and it is the same place (but different page) where I found some information too: Legends of the Madonna - The Carpenter's Shop.

Well, Dawn, your link is the one I MEANT to post - just cut and pasted the wrong one as I had been all over the site. I corrected my link. Anyway, I'll let you know if I have any luck at the seminary library.

Our Domestic Church

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2006 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I have also been looking for a certain image -- I used to have it on my computer - but I can't find it (we had to wipe the hard drive and although I know I saved all my images on a disc....somewhere.....

The image is of Mary, (she looks young) and she is helping a toddler Jesus to stand / walk. I believe there is a wall in the picture (He may be standing on it?), where a book is laying face down. I have googled every combination I can think of, and still can't find it (and I am usually good at this kind of thing...)

If someone could find it, I would be so appreciative!!!!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

There's one I saw too, that I've always wanted to find since, and wish I'd kept the site or bought the picture.

It was Mary and Jesus and little Jesus, and they were reading to Him.

We're The Holy Family Homeschool, and I wanted this to be our image, and was so mad I couldn't find it again.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, I've got one. I have a medal,old and worn, that was found in my grandfather's pocket when he died. He was the only Catholic in my family, and was an immigrant from Sicily. Anyway, the medal has an unusual picture of Mary I've never seen before, and around it says "Our Lady of Olives, Save us from Storms and floods." Very fitting since he lived in Tampa, FL!
Anyone heard of this before?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Here's a history of Our Lady of Olives.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

lapazfarm wrote:
Anyway, the medal has an unusual picture of Mary I've never seen before, and around it says "Our Lady of Olives, Save us from Storms and floods."
Anyone heard of this before?

Well, Christine and I must have been searching at the same time. In addition to the link she posted here is one from the same web site specifically dealing with the "Our Lady of Olives" medal - it further explains the devotion - common to France, Spain, and Italy and as a protection against storms and lightning. Very interesting.

My principal in grade school was named Sr. Mary Olive - we thought the name unusual and didn't know the origin, but would obviously come from this.

Our Domestic Church

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 05 2006 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I can't believe how frustrating my search for images has been! I thought it would be a simple thing to go to the local Catholic shop and buy some very inexpensive holy cards (not laminated, very thin paper) to decoupage onto Sculpey ornaments for a Mary tree. They had one card like I've described.
I came home and Jenn had those links to Polish Madonnas. Utterly lovely and at least I'd have eleven images (I wanted 31 for each day of May). I printed them and decoupaged. My ink isn't waterproof . They look OK but I'm not doing twenty more images this way.
We cut up Christmas cards for the altar shelf, but I want a variety of names of Mary for the tree and I've not saved all those things that come in the mail, nor all the religious catalogs (must remember to speak to the Flylady about that).

So...
is there an online source for holy cards like I've described?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

In searching this morning some more, I came across this image on a site. It says it's the oldest known image of Mary, and it's Mary nursing Jesus???? Has anyone ever seen it before???

Mary nursing Jesus image

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I may have found the one of Mary teaching Jesus to WALK!!!! Is this it????

Mary teaching Jesus to walk image

And here it is again:

image of Mary teaching Jesus to walk

It's from THIS site, which is fantastic! And it's got St. Anne teaching Mary (The Education of the Virgin). So far, I haven't seen the Holy Family reading to Jesus yet.

Great image site!

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version