Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: my home bodies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JamieCarin
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 08 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote JamieCarin

Anyone have any recommendations for encouraging my kids to GET OUTSIDE??!!

Just a little background: 1. they are young 4 and 3, but they are allowed in my fenced yard without a parent having to be outside (I can hear and see them from the kitchen) 2. our yard is tiny tiny tiny leaving little room to REALLY run around, and perhaps little scope for imagination? 3. they are not complaining of being bored. My 4yr old especially will play with his trains ALLLLL day independently and the 3yr old will do whatever the 4yr old tells her to LOL

But they need to get out, get their vitamin D, get the fresh air, use imagination, discover. So any ideas to encourage them to get out?? We do gardening as a family and we have a small kiddie slide (and a blow up pool when it is warm enough). I am sitting out in the yard about to do some knitting hoping they would follow me out...no luck LOL

Ad Silvam Ibimus
Back to Top View JamieCarin's Profile Search for other posts by JamieCarin Visit JamieCarin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 08 2012 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JamieCarin wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations for encouraging my kids to GET OUTSIDE??!!

My 4yr old especially will play with his trains ALLLLL day independently and the 3yr old will do whatever the 4yr old tells her to LOL

Can the trains go outside for a little countryside adventure? If it is Brio or other wooden take apart sets, I would totally do this. It would bring his object of play focus to a new area for different perspective, while getting him out. It could be a start to transitions to other outdoor adventures. And it sounds like little sister would follow along. Have them make nature accessories for the trains - like stick or rock fences, stacked rock or leaning stick "depots", etc. Lots of great materials outdoors to "haul" on the trains.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JamieCarin
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 08 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote JamieCarin

Yes it is just the Brio...we also have the plastic Take and Play sets (he is SERIOUS about hsi Thomas!). This is a great idea and I will try it. I often tell him to bring out some construction trucks and dig and haul rocks etc, but he doesn't want to do this...so let me try the trains...and perhaps construction will folllow...and like you said building and hauling what is around in the yard.

Thanks

Ad Silvam Ibimus
Back to Top View JamieCarin's Profile Search for other posts by JamieCarin Visit JamieCarin's Homepage

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

What fun ages :) And challenging.

I agree they need to go out, as come winter there is minimal time to go out, at least here it's like that. When it's -20, it's a no go..lol.

Ideas for outside, it can take some of your time to accomplish. A simple scavenger hunt in the yard, create with pictures.

Marble Racing

Outdoor play kitchen

If you have a sand box, you can hide items in it for a 'treasure' hunt.

This pinterest board had cool ideas

Spread out some newsprint off a roll, and paper plates with paint, and let them paint with their feet.

Go for walks(walk the dog if you have one). Nature walks in the park. Geocaching can be neat if the kids are good hikers. Going to the parks, splash parks(or create your own), bird watching, star gazing, back yard campfire(I know night, but outdoors regardless). Puddle jumping in the rain, bug collecting, butterfly catch and release.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

How about little picnics that they set themselves? My kids love doing this. I keep a crib quilt or small blanket that is easy for them to lay out and provide a tea set with some water and a small snack (goldfish, pretzels, etc.).

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

You can get a small fountain pump kit (Lowes), some tubing, and a couple of random different-sized vessels and make a fountain. It can get a little messy, and there is an electrical cord, but at their ages, they could probably be trusted to not do anything dangerous (under supervision though, still). It might be time for us to pull ours out. It was a big project for me to figure out, but a lot of fun. IIRC, we used the pump two different ways. The first was just to set it in their water table, w/ the plastic attachments making the fountain. The second was to attach the hose to the pump, then run the water down a wooden ramp and back into the table. We experimented w/ putting things at different heights and using random materials to elevate them.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2012 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

ShannonJ wrote:
How about little picnics that they set themselves? My kids love doing this. I keep a crib quilt or small blanket that is easy for them to lay out and provide a tea set with some water and a small snack (goldfish, pretzels, etc.).

Food is a siren song, imo

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

rftravis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 11 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote rftravis

good ideas already... just seconding the sandbox mentioned, even if its really small, even if its really a sand table. its good for trains, too!
Back to Top View rftravis's Profile Search for other posts by rftravis

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what about other toys? plastic dinosaurs for instance are a natural for outside play. Have the kids ever seen "Dinosaur Train" cartoons? a train outside and some plastic dinos and...

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Something I've done with my kids is to move read-alouds outside (mainly because *I* wanted outside after a long winter).   
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Lots of great ideas! The one that works for me is to tell the kids they have to go out for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes they are welcome to come back in. Usually, by that time, they are engaged in some game or activity that they have come up with and they don't want to come in! You could do this when you go out to do your knitting. Just require them to come with you and set the timer for 15 minutes. Then, when the timer goes off, give them the option of staying to play longer or going inside.   

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version