Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Year of Faith - Activities/Resources Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 30 2012 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

The year of faith is only about five months away. Are you planning anything special to do this coming fall in your homeschool?

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 30 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

To be honest I haven't gotten that far - though I definitely plan to do that and make it a focus of the year. Good that you started this brainstorming thread.

Here is another thread with some background for those not aware of the upcoming year - Pope declares Year of Faith

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 30 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

I'll respond to my own question. :)

I want to personally study Vatican II more. I really don't know much. Perhaps I will read the books we have with the notes from it.

My husband and I have been talking about how we might share our faith more within our community/parish. We are thinking about hosting the Six dates for Catholic couples in our parish.

My 12 year old is wanting to do a purity/modesty day for the girls in our parish. I don't think this has ever been done. I'm not sure how I might help her pull this off....it's really in the thought process right now.

I know we need to work better on memorizing the new words for the Creed. (personally I struggle with the beginning being I believe rather than We believe...) Also the Gloria is still a little shakey...need to help the kids memorize this...

That's my starting list.

I wonder why

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I'm excited for this! I have 2 new Catholics in the family, and a potential candidate in another child. So we're growing, we're taking over in this house

We belong to a large and active parish, I'm contemplating starting a group for the younger kids as there is 2 groups for the older elementary. Potentially as a homeschool group... since our evenings are SO busy. I do need to speak with Fr. about it to see if we could book space, but during the day the meetings rooms and hall are available.

Plus there should be things going one for this by the parish for the parishioners! I can't wait to get involved!

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Marcia wrote:
My husband and I have been talking about how we might share our faith more within our community/parish. We are thinking about hosting the Six dates for Catholic couples in our parish.

My husband and I are just finishing up leading A Marriage Made for Heaven. It's a 12-month commitment, but it is an excellent program.       Two thumbs up from us!

Has anyone else done the Six Dates program? We're looking for something else to do together as a group now that our program is ending. Looking for suggestions.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Marcia
Really glad you asked this question. Our Parish is really keen to get involved in doing something, actually I'm on a committee and have been racking my brain for ideas. For some reason in Australia we are calling it the Year of Grace, anyhow we are blasting off with one Parish Mass for Pentecost, hanging various images of Christ on the Church walls.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2012 at 2:16am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I LOVE the logo!

Quote:
The logo is composed of a square, bordered field on which a boat, symbolizing the Church, is represented as sailing on a graphically minimal representation of waves. The main mast of the boat is a cross from which sails are displayed in the form of dynamic signs which compose the trigram of Christ (IHS). The background to the sails is a sun which, associated with the trigram, refers also to the Eucharist.

Here is the official Vatican website for the Year of Faith.

For the musical among us- the official hymn.

Catholic Truth Society, publishers to the Holy See, have published a range of resources for the Year of Faith.

As the time is getting closer, I am seeing more and hoping to have this continue to be a place to list resources and ideas you have. What have you all seen?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Time to get my resources in order, too.

I plan to order The Year of Faith by Fr. Pacwa.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2012 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Mary and Michaela. I was just starting to dig into what direction I want to take at home with this.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

OH I like the logo too! I was working on another post for tomorrow...the one month before kickoff plans.

I have two other ladies that we will be doing a study together...can't wait.

Thanks Mary M!

I wonder why

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

For another week all I could think about was.. I really need to get my "faith sign" for my living room shelf SOON. We've talked before about a word we display or use for a focus.. and I have a spot on my central shelf in the living room where I have had a word either in blocks or cut out.. self standing.. and I want to get one that says "faith" but I haven't really seen quite what I'm looking for.. and I need to step up my looking for it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2012 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JodieLyn wrote:
For another week all I could think about was.. I really need to get my "faith sign" for my living room shelf SOON. We've talked before about a word we display or use for a focus.. and I have a spot on my central shelf in the living room where I have had a word either in blocks or cut out.. self standing.. and I want to get one that says "faith" but I haven't really seen quite what I'm looking for.. and I need to step up my looking for it.

This is a great idea, Jodie. I think we'll do the same. Off to look for some ideas. What style are you looking for??

Our Domestic Church

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I like fairly simple letters, nothing fancy.. painted wood. I really liked the single word cut from a slightly wide board so it was just the letters and could stand on it's own.. it was narrow though so I added double stick tape to help it stand and the other I have is blocks sized somewhat to the letters and the letters are in relief and painted on.

So I'm looking for that somewhat casual painted wood look. The main way I've seen it has been painted on a plaque.. painted wood, but not self standing and I really need it to be self standing. And of course affordable the whole word cut from a board was "believe" and I got it at Rite Aid on clearance so only a few $

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I think it would be neat if those of us here who do make a "FAITH" visual, post pictures.

Here is a blog I found that is listing different posts of 50 activities for the Year of Faith. It's up to #15 at this point.
50 Year of Faith Activities

Our Domestic Church

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2012 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Marcia wrote:
I have two other ladies that we will be doing a study together...can't wait.

Thanks Mary M!

Marcia, do you and your friends have anything specific that you are going to be working through? I'd love to do the same with my girlfriends, here in MI!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I need to take some time to delve into this a little more (and I don't have time). I know personally it would be good to reread the Documents of Vatican II, prayerfully, and go over the Catechism -- both anniversaries are the reason for this year.

But what I'm trying to think of are ways to incorporate this theme during our usual liturgical year plans. For example, what aspects during Advent? What can I add weekly or daily to our learning to bring this theme.

I want minimal and simple, and my boys are only 9 and 4 1/2. So I'm thinking.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Jenn, I've been thinking for the younger kids that just point back to this being the year of faith whenever I can in our other work may be enough to highlight it. But of course I'll need to do some reading myself especially about "The Year of Faith" to have a good idea what to say about it.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

So I was looking for something like this

But then I found this.. smaller but so pretty.. and then dh really liked it too.. so I guess my "word" displays will all be different

-Sir Walter Scott

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Didn't read all the entries yet, but Magnificat has a Year of Faith Companion.

A friend in our homeschooling group did a bulk order for it and the copies were super cheap - like $2 each or something because so many of us ordered.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

jawgee wrote:
Marcia wrote:

My husband and I are just finishing up leading A Marriage Made for Heaven. It's a 12-month commitment, but it is an excellent program.       Two thumbs up from us!

Has anyone else done the Six Dates program? We're looking for something else to do together as a group now that our program is ending. Looking for suggestions.

We are involved in a program called Covenant of Love at our parish, created by Greg and Julie Alexander of the Alexander House. It uses their DVD series from EWTN, Marriage Works in Christ, and both group and individual couple time, during a monthly meeting. We provide babysitting and this year began adding a potluck as it is a Friday night right after work. I'll add links later. We usually have several speakers each year as well as a social night. It is the same Friday every month so that couples know to count on coming.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version