Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Year of Faith - Activities/Resources Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 20 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

thanks guys for being patient with me. ive been gazing into the eyes of little boy (#6) who arrived on the 14th!

(see his photo on my blog)

I think we are doing the Mitch Pacwa book, but I'm for once just tagging along. LOL So the other two ladies may turn up something deeper. I did the Pacwa book during the Pauline year and it was fine. But lighter.

I'm working on my faith letters!!

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2012 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

My daughter just showed me this site developed by John Paul the Great Catholic University in San Diego specifically as catechesis for the Year of Faith. Their degree focus at the university is on media and they have done an excellent job on the online media presentation and resources. My tech & online media savvy daughter and husband are quite impressed.

Pillars of Catholicism

It is a "crash course in the fundamentals of the Catholic Faith." They indicate that since Pope Benedict has called upon Catholics to spend the year studying the Catechism of the Catholic Church, this is their response to the Holy Father's challenge. There are thirteen sessions - half hour each. A new episode is being unlocked each week and will be permanently accessible. It has the lectures and downloadable study guides and additional readings. They have five episodes unlocked so far. It is excellent.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Amy Welborn and Ignatius Press have a children's book coming out in a few weeks, just in time for the Year of Faith. It presents Pope Benedict's message to children to become saints.

Be Saints! An Invitation from Pope Benedict XVI

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Amy Welborn and Ignatius Press have a children's book coming out in a few weeks, just in time for the Year of Faith. It presents Pope Benedict's message to children to become saints.

Be Saints! An Invitation from Pope Benedict XVI

Oh, I love Friendship with Jesus. It took forever to be sold in the US! So this new one will be a must for us. It looks to be in a similar format.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2012 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marcia wrote:
thanks guys for being patient with me. ive been gazing into the eyes of little boy (#6) who arrived on the 14th!

(see his photo on my blog)

Congratulations, Marcia! I'm sorry for the delay in congratulating! Hug that sweet baby!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Have some reading from the Catechism sent to you every day during the Year of Faith.

Read the Catechism in a Year

Our Domestic Church

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2012 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Great resources, Mary. Thanks!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2012 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Less than a week away from starting...so looking forward.

Has anyone seen the Year of Faith Companion from Magnificat yet?

Catholic Year of Faith.com has some great prayer cards.

Ignatius has just published this Faith and Life Family Guide as a companion to the Faith and Life Series during the Year of Faith. They indicate it is "to promote parental involvement in their children's faith formation." I figure their target audience is more likely the parent with students in RE or traditional school. We as faithful Catholic homescholing families are already more intimately involved in that process, but figure it might still be a helpful resource. I was already thinking specifically about Faith & Life 5 which is the Creed.
Quote:
Theme: A thorough study of the articles of the Creed as the basic belief of our Catholic faith, with a special emphasis on careful understanding of definitions through the words of the Gospels, and the prophets, and the prayers of the Church
I don't have a 5th grader right now, but am going to go back to that book as a family and focus on the fundamentals of the faith/creed each week. Goal also to memorize the new translation of the creed - still trip over a couple sections.

I'm going to be doing a "Make-it-and-take-it" Mom's Night Out for our group, where we will make a "Faith" letter sign to take home. I'll post pics when I have the model done.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2012 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

It starts today!! Are you ready??

Our Domestic Church

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2012 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Nope but I'll pull something off

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Faith Folders for Catholics are supposed to have a lapbook for the Year of Faith coming out today.

I keep checking the site

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Our Parish added this into the bulletin this week and I thought I'd share

Bishop Ricken Offers ‘10 Ways Catholics Can Live The Year Of Faith’

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

TxTrish wrote:
Faith Folders for Catholics are supposed to have a lapbook for the Year of Faith coming out today.

I keep checking the site

Looks like it's delayed until this week.

Thanks for the Bishop Ricken link, Jodie.

Our Domestic Church

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2012 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Here is a resource that will e-mail you excerpts from the catechism each day so that by the end of the year of faith, you will have read the entire catechism. I imagine starting now wouldn't put us too far behind.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2012 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

So many great resources, so little time!

The USCCB has a site dedicated to the Year of Faith with some helpful links.

Loved that daily Catechism link, Lindsay! Thanks!

Plus, the Pillars of Catholicism link that MaryM recommended above is really fantastic. I highly recommend it!!!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

So I finally got the "faith plate" for my shelf and I thought I'd share.. this is the high shelf in my living room that's over the buffet that holds the tv and a lamp..

And this is a close up of the "faith plate" and candles.. those white candles are all new.. picked up at yard sales this summer.

-Sir Walter Scott

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2012 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

It's lovely, Jodie. I'm still pondering what focus we're taking. I finally had time to sit and read through all the documents. I think at home we're going to be simple, and focus on the Bible, particularly the NT, and the Catechism and the Vatican II documents.

I was reading this quote from the Catechism, and thought this is the approach we should be taking:

Quote:
2688 The catechesis of children, young people, and adults aims at teaching them to meditate on The Word of God in personal prayer, practicing it in liturgical prayer, and internalizing it at all times in order to bear fruit in a new life. Catechesis is also a time for the discernment and education of popular piety. The memorization of basic prayers offers an essential support to the life of prayer, but it is important to help learners savor their meaning.

Word of God, Liturgy, popular piety (rosary during the month of October, for example).

I can't get the site http://www.annusfidei.va/ to work this morning, but the Indulgences to earn I wondered if I have to return to the actual Baptistery I was baptized.

Quote:
d. a day freely chosen during the Year of Faith on which to make a devout visit to the baptistery or other place in which they received the sacrament of Baptism, if they renew their baptismal promises in any legitimate form.

Seeing that it's in Houston, it would be a great difficulty. Seems like it reads that way. Fortunately my husband and my sons can do this!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2012 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

I can't get the site http://www.annusfidei.va/ to work this morning, but the Indulgences to earn I wondered if I have to return to the actual Baptistery I was baptized.

Quote:
d. a day freely chosen during the Year of Faith on which to make a devout visit to the baptistery or other place in which they received the sacrament of Baptism, if they renew their baptismal promises in any legitimate form.

Seeing that it's in Houston, it would be a great difficulty. Seems like it reads that way. Fortunately my husband and my sons can do this!

Hmmm....it would be hard for some if it is not where they currently live, but it is a really neat thing to do. Would not have thought of it but it is so cool. I probably could do it as I assume we will be visiting my mom sometime this year and it's about an hour from there for me.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just saw this really cute adaptation of the "Year of Faith" poster. Perfect for the month of Saints and Souls here in November. It is offered as a free downloadable poster from the Happy Saints website.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

Quote:

Did you all see the Fr. Z blog post where he addressed this baptistery visit indulgence if you were a convert? The Apostolic Penitentiary answered this question indicating you can go to the church where you were received into the embrace of our Holy Mother Church.

Our Domestic Church

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version