Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: How long is your formal school day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 23 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I'm trying to see how long most people's have school for. Yes, I realize that many things are opportunity's. I don't have a real homeschool philosophy, I am eclectic and do what works for us, just like parenting styles, what I did for one, didn't work for any of the others.

But in a day, how much dedicated school work do you do?

DD8 - grade 3, does about 1 1/2 hours in the morning, then I send her outside to play when the weather is nice, or with her toys. Then we do lunch, have a 1/2 hour to tidy up and then another hour to 1 1/2 depending on her focus.

DD13 - grade 7 I have no idea, she works mostly independent, and often at night, she is a night owl. I stopped fighting it, she is typically in bed at 9, but can't sleep until about 10:30, so I tell her something quiet. She gets her assignments weekly. So she might finish all of her grammar at night, or spelling, or write notes for social studies, at night. Then has less during daytime hours. It actually works well as she is available to entertain littles during the day. I answer her questions, go over anything she isn't' grasping. I do not do lectures, she can hear those through the school board through e-live as she is doing more of a 'virtual' school, homeschool style. I imagine she does about 4 hours a day, but it's broken up. I want her a little more focussed next year.

Now, I'm planning next year, and it'll be grade 4 and grade 8... I want to anticipate how long would be reasonable for them to work, especially as there will be more project based things, so it isn't just a page and done, it's research, notes, then putting it together. It's not as clear.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

For my 2nd- and 3rd-graders, a typical day runs from 10-ish to 12-ish.

My 8th grader does approximately 5 hours' work a day, though like you, I have a hard time pinning that down, because he works on his own. He's taking a college class this semester, which has meant more reading and writing -- he stayed up till midnight both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend working on a research paper for that class. He's in class on campus two days a week; the other days, he generally begins his schoolwork later because he runs and works out in the mornings.

In general, I have found that as my kids get older and into middle and high school, their school day does increasingly approximate a "traditional" school day in terms of time, though unless they have outside classes, they don't typically also spend nights and weekends on homework.

I just wrote about both my younger kids' day and my 8th-grader's MO on my blog, so I won't go into lots of detail here. Like you, we're pretty eclectic, heavily influenced by Charlotte Mason, but also by elements of both the classical approach and unschooling. Welcome to schizophrenia -- but it seems to work for us.

Sally

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

K (doing first grade work) - 1 to 1 1/2 hours
4th grader - around 3 hours

That's the formal stuff. We try to get it done in the morning before lunch so that afternoons are completely free.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 23 2012 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Its funny that you should ask this now, as I was wondering about daily routines as well, as I start to hammer out the new school year. For some reason I start to get curious about how others are doing things.

We have settled into a very relaxed routine here. Mornings are dedicated to outside time, exploration, and household chores. After lunch (when I do a read a loud) it is toddler nap time and that's when our school day begins.

3rd grader is edging towards independence and completes nearly everything in about two hours. This includes seat work and her reading basket and narrations. However, we don't do math everyday right now. She does literature reading during free time in the afternoon or evening. And while things like nature walks and journals are on her schedule, she does those during her free time as well.

K'er - about 45 minutes to an hour. MAYBE. VERY relaxed right now.

We gather for family read alouds during an opportune moment after Kindergarten work is done. After the toddler wakes we do picture books or magazines linked to our schedule. Another book or two before bed that has been chosen by the children.

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

We usually have morning basket time from about 830 to 930 and then individual work for my 8 y/o and 6 y/o for about another hour. The 8 year old might have another half an hour of work after that.

So I guess 2-2 1/2 hours of formal school time, then they play outside, do chores, read, or build things for most of the rest of the day.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 23 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SallyT wrote:
we're pretty eclectic, heavily influenced by Charlotte Mason, but also by elements of both the classical approach and unschooling. Welcome to schizophrenia -- but it seems to work for us.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 23 2012 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

These are guesses:

2nd grader - 1 - 1.5 hours - more if you count all the read aloud time, which I didn't in this guess

6th grader - 4.5 hours - but it could be much longer...we are diligently working on building the habit of industry. Hands-on learners are notorious dawdlers!!!

10th grader - 5 - 6 hours - this varies a lot...some days are more project driven, some days may have more formal work. Some days this number could be as much as 7 hours, but those days are probably pretty heavy on independent reading, writing for pleasure, art projects, etc., and it's hard to separate those out of the day.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I have no idea anymore. I've given up on formal schooling and gone back to unschooling where I feel most at home. We read a lot, do some math once in a while, watch Mythbusters or a travel video, chat a lot, get on the internet, paint or draw, work on photography... whatever. Some days dd will get inspired to add something to one of her notebooks --history, geography, nature-- based on something we've read or seen, so we do that.
Today is a rainy day so it's 11am and both kids are still in bed curled up with a book. Works for me. I have a couple of DVD's we might watch after lunch: Beethoven Lives Upstairs, and Les Miserables.
So, the answer would be...none of the above?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

We start with Morning basket as a family from 8:30-9:30. Then each of my kids does their "independent work". That is not that they are necessarily by themselves but really just the work that is divided by grade. I rotate between the two middle children and my oldest (who is in 6th grade) is on her own. My 6 year old usually works about an hour or so during this time and then goes to play with his little brother. We break around 12:30 for Lunch and quiet time and regroup together at 2:00 for "family school". Here we do our read alouds for Science and History as well as any Labs and history projects. We wrap up around 3:30.

I miss the days that we finished completely by noon but as you can see I really have a very laid back school "schedule". It more of a pin it around our day thing.

Oh and my oldest and I meet at least 3 times a week during that quiet time just to reevaluate how the week is going.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

My oldest is 2nd grade. We finish before lunch and spend between 1-3 hours on our lessons. The K student usually only has about 30-40 minutes of work.

Afternoons are generally free and we visit library programs, play outside, play games, etc. This is still part of our school because they are learning, getting physical education, developing social skills, and much more. I just don't count it as our core or seated subjects.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Our formal period currently begins about 8am and we work through till about 12.30- 1pm. My teens would focus (well mostly) for this entire period but the younger children drift in and out, dependent on when I'm available for them.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

My Kindergartener (really doing first grade work) is about 15 minutes per day (math or reading lesson). For first grade she'll move up to about 45-60 minutes.

My 3rd grader is set to do an hour and half; sometimes it's more like two hours depending on the whining, discipline issues, and life interruptions. My goal for 4th grade is about an hour and 45 minutes (adding fifteen minutes each school year).

Then the rest of the day is "free" more or less. That's the "unschooling" part of our eclectic homeschooling.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

This question has gotten me thinking - we are rather unschooly, but it's actually elementary Montessori.

My 8 year old has his work plan ("list") for the week and a general daily routine. School-wise, there are some things that must be done every single day:
piano practice
speech practice
tae-kwon-do practice
These things could take 30-45 minutes on a good day; stretched into infinity on a bad day.

But we don't really differentiate those things from the non-school things like daily chores and prayer.
And then there are the flexible school things: something with mathematics/geometry, something written, something read-aloud, something with logic/reasoning/strategy.

The other items on his work plan can be done anytime, but must be done before Friday. While he is still in the stage of needing me to work with him to choose a good balance for each day, he is taking this over more and more and I find him doing 8+ hours of school one day; and only the bare minimum of work-plan-school on another day (on those days, he has entirely followed a rabbit trail and is still "doing" school; it just doesn't get a checkmark on his work plan).

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I can't tell you how long my two youngest school as they drift in and out throughout the day, depending on when I can work with them. My oldest-Gr.7-does formal school for about 5--6 hours.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version