Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: Life of Fred and Math Mammoth Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 21 2012 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Does anyone use these 2 programs together? If so, how do you do that? How much work is it?

I'm trying to find a better math program for my 7 yo dd. We used MUS this year and last year for Kindergarten and she just doesn't understand Math. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Lisa

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 21 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I do Life of Fred with Math Mammoth. It is a good fit for us.

I have a notebook I move the Math Mammoth pages to that I want him to work on. So, I've just skimmed the Table of Contents of Life of Fred and pulled out the MM sheets that seem to coordinate somewhat and maybe a few ahead of those that we haven't done so we are doing the individual sections of Math Mammoth somewhat sequentially.

I do think your child is expected to know the basic addition and subtraction facts through 10 before beginning Apples, and we'd done most of those sections of Math Mammoth before we began using Life of Fred.

Right now we are doing three days of LoF a week with two days of Math Mammoth. I consider LoF our principle math book right now with MM as a supplement (I bought the Blue series, not the stand alone program). So, the work load is pretty light--I'm not trying to do both on the same day.

And coordinating the two doesn't take a lot of time for me, either. I'm pretty vague about what I pull out of MM to use since most of those lessons can stand alone as well.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

I do Life of Fred and Math Mammoth together, too.

I don't coordinate them, we just started with Apples for LOF and started with the appropriate grade level of MM and my son does 2 LOF lessons and 2 MM lessons a week, and then on Fridays we do 'free math' which could be a lesson from Teaching Textbooks, a game, reading a living math book from our shelves, etc.

It seems to work really well and doesn't seem to matter that what we are covering in LOF doesn't exactly correspond with what is being covered in MM.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Okay, so for LOF, how many books have you been through? Are your 7 and ups bored at all starting with Apples? How many should I expect to use with my almost 8 year old in the next 4 months? I was thinking of buying A-D Elementary books to start and try out. Or should I go slower? And I'm going to get the light blue series of MM grades 1-3 to have on hand too and use 3-4 days a week, depending on how much we use LOF. I have to set aside MEP as a main program for now...sadly, as I totally believe in it. Someday I'll have to write the student self teaching version!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Amanda,

Nope, not bored with Apples, the story is entertaining enough. Expect to move fairly quickly through them, though. If you are sure you are going to use them I would order all the available elementary texts right away.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2012 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Krista,
Thanks! I'd love to buy all 10 at once but that sure is a big investment! I'm thinking I'll start with A-D to make sure we like them and they work for our family. I did bite the bullet and get MM light blue 1-3 this weekend. I'm hoping I can add MEP math back in in the Fall at some point but for now this will work. Do you think I need to start with 2A for the references or can my son (good with numbers, can add well in his head up to 3 digits ) jump right into 2B? He's not the fastest with face yet, but understands multiplication and can do basic multi and a little division. Lots of algebra type practice with MEP. I was starting with 2A but I don't want to bore him or be too behind. We are schooling through the summer so I could definitely finish 2B by late July if we start with that.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Amanda,

I am sorry for being so slow! My newborn is so cute and distracting.

2A covers addition up to three digits, introduces subtraction with regrouping, and covers a few other subjects- money, time, etc.

I bet you can jump in with 2b.

Hope I am not too late getting back to you.

hsinfljmj
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 17 2012 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote hsinfljmj

We recently made the switch to Life of Fred for all my dc. I am going with the approach of saving LoF for when they can read independently very well. My 5 yo is working through Math Mammoth Blue series "place value" right now. He will go on to addition, subtraction, etc. until he is ready to read the LoF books.

My 8yo just started with LoF and since she was already able to do the four operations, she has been flying through, doing one book in 3 weeks. I will use Math Mammoth Blue Series as needed to work on specific skills.

Blessings,

Jessica
Back to Top View hsinfljmj's Profile Search for other posts by hsinfljmj

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

We're using Life of Fred as part of our Morning Basket reading, doing the "Your Turn to Play" sections orally as mental math, then using MCP for our sit-down, written, grade-level math for my 3rd and 4th graders.

This is working very well. I bought LOF A-D experimentally, but will buy the rest of the series as soon as I can. We finished Apples in about 4 weeks and are flying through Butterflies right now. We're reviewing and solidifying basics, plus thinking mathematically, which provides an excellent gloss to the more straightforward, skills-based MCP C and D which the kids do during our "table work" time.

Sally

PS: Amanda, my 10yo 4th grader was not AT ALL bored with Apples. Fred is his favorite part of the day, and he always begs to do two chapters. He's kind of a zany kid, and the zaniness of the story appeals to him.

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

So if I were going to invest in the whole elementary set, where can I get the best deal? Does the Homeschool Buyers Co-op every offer these? Thanks!

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

I never came back to thank you ladies for your responses. I ended up deciding not to invest in LOF at the time, after reading a few mixed reviews (that it jumps around, and some of the story lines?). At the same time, we were liking Math Mammoth okay, at first, but after the newness wore off I realized I really wanted to go back to MEP and do it right this time- as in, use the lesson plans! (Sometime during 1B I had stopped using them as much) Its going well. At some point we may use MM again for supplementing, especially since I own grades 1-3 now.. And I'd love to supplement with LOF at some point down the line, so I look forward to hearing more about how you all like it as time goes on.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version