Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Preparing for Holy Week Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MamaFence
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2012 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote MamaFence

What kinds of things around the house do you prepare for Holy Week? I could use a list. What to clean, what to put away, what liturgical decoration do you do?

DD 7yr (11.04)
DD 5yr (6.06)
DS 3yr (6.08)
DS 2yr (11.09)
Back to Top View MamaFence's Profile Search for other posts by MamaFence

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 30 2012 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm not ignoring your post, but *I* could use a list. I'm trying to make plans, meanwhile ten million and one deadlines are looming.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MamaFence
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 30 2012 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote MamaFence

I think that once I get through Stations tonight, I might be able to think clearly enough to make a list. Planning our meal this year is tricky with the diet we've been on...no grains!

Let's see...
declutter our family room
Clean up prayer space
clean fridge (to make room for Easter meals!)

DD 7yr (11.04)
DD 5yr (6.06)
DS 3yr (6.08)
DS 2yr (11.09)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2012 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Hmmm...

Those that follow the Extraordinary Form would be veiling religious images last Sunday, or you could start this Sunday. We don't always do that.

I clean our dining room table and prepare for Holy Week displays. We start our Jonah on Palm Sunday, and then have displays of the Passion scene, Last Supper, and The Tomb. I don't leave these out the rest of Lent...I want them to be new and more contemplative.

I plan a grocery list and meal plan. I need to make the cheese mold (Kulich?) probably last week, so I'm behind on that. After I decide what I'm baking, I have to carve out parts of the days that I'll be home to do the baking. There are breads and lamb cakes to make and then some foods for Easter dinner.

Do the grocery shopping.

Holy Thursday we have a really nice meal in remembrance of the Last Supper and foot washing.

Iron all the tablecloths and napkins. Polish silver.

Get all the Holy Week clothes ready (we attend all the Triduum services, so there are a lot of dress clothes we need).

Finalize the Easter baskets.

Organize the Holy Week book basket, have books to take to the liturgies.

Plan the Easter egg dyeing, boil eggs, time with family to do the eggs. Maybe one more pysanky time with dh.

Decorate for Easter morning on Holy Saturday.

I'm sure I'm missing something super obvious. Overriding is to not let these outside activities distract from the deeper. Take time to pray, have extra times to talk to Jesus and contemplate the Paschal Mysteries. Enjoy this time with my family -- don't just be a doer, but be WITH the boys.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well one big thing is to make sure everyone has all needed clothing for the various serices clean and found (or is that found and clean ) especially socks and shoes I mean really the last thing I need is someone to wear their black dress socks on Friday night when they need them to wear on Sunday morning

Oh I see Jenn needs to get all the clothes ready too.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MamaFence
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote MamaFence

ooh I veiled our crucifix in our "celebration corner", which serves as our liturgical focal point. I want to get some red cloth out for tomorrow, but I am not sure I have any! (must plan ahead for next year! )

What is your dinner like on Holy Thursday? I did something special years ago, but haven't since.

DD 7yr (11.04)
DD 5yr (6.06)
DS 3yr (6.08)
DS 2yr (11.09)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2012 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MamaFence wrote:
What is your dinner like on Holy Thursday? I did something special years ago, but haven't since.

Over the past years it's been roast beef, mashed potatoes, spinach, and apple sauce. (We don't like lamb.) I'm remembering some elements of the Last Supper, so we have a white cloth and decorate with flowers and at each place is a roll or type of bread and a cluster of grapes. I was extremely inspired by the passage in There is grape juice and/or wine. We read from Exodus about the Passover and the Gospel the Last Supper. I have some summaries of what we do from year to year in these posts. Most everything looks the same, but every year is different, too.

Before or after the meal we wash each other's feet, reading the Gospel account in John.

It was discussed in my Catechesis of the Good Shepherd training that in respect for the Jews and their own religious traditions and liturgy, Catholics should not celebrate seders. I think we have some of those discussions on 4Real in our Holy Week stickie on this forum.

MamaFence
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote MamaFence

Thanks. Interesting thoughts about not celebrating seders. I have never considered it that way, but it warrants more thought on my part.

DD 7yr (11.04)
DD 5yr (6.06)
DS 3yr (6.08)
DS 2yr (11.09)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this, because I did come up with a sort of timeline in my article at Catholic Culture..

Holy Week Preparation

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version