Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Hot Cross Buns Alternative Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2012 at 2:48am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Why not try a german recipe for Good Friday?

Münsterländer Strüwen

It is a yeast dough fried in a skillet and served with apple sauce or just plain sugar. There are those die-hards who serve Beer soup with it, but that is not to my family's taste .

My dear friend, Margret, gave me this recipe after spending Good Friday with her family 2 years ago.
Münsterländer Strüwen

This is how they spend the day.
After a light breakfast Margret prepares the dough. They leave to pray the Stations of the Cross, weather permitting, at an outdoor Stations. They return and fry the dough and eat lunch. This is the main meal of the day. They rest and then attend the 3pm Liturgy. At home once again they keep a peaceful, solemn atmosphere and eat only lightly before retiring early.

I have a gluten free flour mix I can use substituting 1-1. I am hopeful.

Also, my dear friend Margret is in need of prayers. If you would offer up an Ave for her intentions I would be very grateful.

ETA: I just noticed my link didn't work, because I tried to link to the already translated page. Here is the original page.German recipe Now, just click on the translate into English button!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, delightful, Stephanie! You should write a post on Catholic Cuisine and translate the measurements (I'm not good about grams).

When you say "fry" do you mean pan griddle these? Another site shows pictures of the Münsterländer Strüwen and it looks like they are like yeast / raised pancakes?

What about the Hefepfannkuchen that is mentioned as another Good Friday food?

I found this mention in English and German.

And I'm curious what gluten free flour mix you like the best? Which flour combo?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2012 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

JennGM wrote:
Oh, delightful, Stephanie! You should write a post on Catholic Cuisine and translate the measurements (I'm not good about grams).

When you say "fry" do you mean pan griddle these? Another site shows pictures of the Münsterländer Strüwen and it looks like they are like yeast / raised pancakes?

What about the Hefepfannkuchen that is mentioned as another Good Friday food?

I found this mention in English and German.

And I'm curious what gluten free flour mix you like the best? Which flour combo?

Yes, I do mean pan griddle like pancakes.
My friend's actual recipe varies a bit from the link I gave, but you get the general impression.
I would love to translate the measurements for Catholic Cuisine. But I can really only do it after Good Friday, because I need to try it out with my cups and measuring spoons. You are probably right about the similarity to Hefepfannekuchen, but my recipe and name thereof is very regional and only for Good Friday. Just think, maybe Cardinal von Galen and Anna Katherina Emmerich ate these same Struwen every Good Friday!!!! Well, later in life, Anna Katherina Emmerich really didn't eat much anyway, but I am certain Cardinal von Galen had a very healthy appetite!

The GF flour combo is something I found from a regional baker. He mixes a gf wheat starch with sweet lupine? flour, powdered milk and Guarkern? flour(acts as gluten).
I haven't had the greatest of success with mixing my own. The recipes that appeal to me are difficult for me to mix here. I can't get sorghum flour here. That seems to be readily available in the US and is mentioned in many american flour recipes. Even buying rice flour here is sooooo expensive. I am contemplating buying a gf grain mill to mill my own rice, millet, buckwheat...
It would be less than half the price to mill my own rice. I am just hesitant right now, until I find my gf baking groove and am sure what flours work the best for our family. For the flour mix I mentioned above I paid 75Euros for 25kg = 3Euro/kg =$4. for 2 lbs. This is a great price for gf flour here. I don't know what you pay in the States.
In general, we eat lots of potatoes!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 30 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I think it's comparable. In fact, I think your price is less than what I just paid for King Arthur's gluten free flour mix. It seems gluten free friendly would be more prevalent in Germany since it's more commonly diagnoses.

I went on a buying spree at the store yesterday and bought potato pancake mix (for Passover), King Arthur's mix, and then Bisquick mix.

I saw these charts about different gluten free flours.

Bisquick Gluten Flour instructions. I'm always hesitant to do a straight exchange because the gluten is so important.

But I was tempted to try Hot Cross buns, Tasha Tudor's recipe.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 30 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:

But I was tempted to try Hot Cross buns, Tasha Tudor's recipe.

But on second thought, I think I need a recipe with eggs, so I can do a substitution for gluten free flours.

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 25 2016 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

For all the gluten free mamas out there - We made these this year and they were VERY tasty. They remind me more of a carrot cake with a cream cheese icing. They are wheat and sugar free and no one in my family noticed. I think the sweetness of the carrots really did the trick. I did not have enough almond flour on hand, so I tossed a little oat fiber and coconut flour in there to make up for what was missing and it turned out great. Seems like a flexible recipe, which is right up my alley, as I am always out of something and never want to run up to the store.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version