Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Routines/Traditions for Holy Week - long Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2006 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

eschuetter wrote:
We may just have to bake a birthday cake and top it with tongues of fire (on candles!) this year.

I majorly splurged and bought this cookie mold in preparation for the special day. It shipped yesterday. Now, I am not much of a baker, but I'm hoping that the beautiful mold will inspire greatness in the cookie dough and that all will turn out right.    I'm thinking that it might even work as a cake topper.

Add to this the "Receive the Holy Spirit" recipe at Alice's blog (on April 22) and I think that we have a great beginning to a party menu! And there are some great ideas from last year here.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

cathhomeschool wrote:

I majorly splurged and bought this cookie mold in preparation for the special day. It shipped yesterday. Now, I am not much of a baker, but I'm hoping that the beautiful mold will inspire greatness in the cookie dough and that all will turn out right.    I'm thinking that it might even work as a cake topper.

What an incredibly beautiful mold, Janette! Please post pictures of the cookies after you have made them.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 26 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

mary wrote:
janette, thank you for your understanding and i'm sorry to have somehow been the cause of personal angst on the board.   abcmommy has been like a sister to me for many years and i love her dearly. i regret that in any way she appears inappropriate in this thread, because that is clearly my fault. i know that erica is honestly searching for answers and i think this is a wonderful topic and look forward to reading the many ways in which you all celebrate holy week/easter, without any more mention of my easter brunch.

Mary, blessed are the peacekeepers! And blessed are those who invite others into their homes and onto their 4Real board .

Abc, you are a good friend to Mary. If at anytime (and this goes for all "live and in person" friends) you have background information about a situation that the moderators don't have, feel free to come to us privately with your information if we can help to smooth things out...we have a bit of practice at this .

eschuetter wrote:
Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful replies.

I will continue to pray about what is best for my family.

I regret mentioning my friend's gathering and the hurt feelings which resulted. I meant no ill-will toward anyone. It was a mistake for which I've sought forgiveness privately. At the same time, I'll take my "public" lumps - they are not unwarranted.

My deepest aplogies to all I've offended.

Erica, thanks for clearing things up privately and publicly. You are among friends here...you know...those who make wee mistakes online . I didn't have your experience as a child but definitely identify with encountering different traditions (I've moved WAY too much!)and feeling a bit disoriented - nothing against others for sure. It really is fun reading about different experiences and gleaning good stuff to bring to our own family.

Love,   

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 26 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

alicegunther wrote:
What an incredibly beautiful mold, Janette! Please post pictures of the cookies after you have made them.

Better yet, Janette, will you just mail me a cookie ? (Doesn't hurt to ask!)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Oh, I so hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings by my post! Yes, we do have to do what is best for our families, and I truly did not mean to put anyone down for anything that they have done in their sharing and caring of family and friend's, especially when rejoicing in Our Lord's Resurrection- no matter the day of the week.
I am incredibly humbled and feel the knowledge of all the ladies on this board is such a gift. I feel so bad that I may have made anyone feel hurt.
Please forgive me for anything I may have written that would be hurtful.
God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 27 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Angie Mc wrote:
Better yet, Janette, will you just mail me a cookie ? (Doesn't hurt to ask!)

Oh, Angie! You and Alice seem to have missed that line in my post about the baker I'm NOT! Still, I have high hopes and will post a picture if it turns out alright... And if it's really really great, I could mail you one...

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Janette, when you are done with the cookies, I discovered a while back that those House on the Hill molds work well with Model Magic, at least with the smaller molds. It might be worth a try if you are looking for additional uses for your investment!

Do not worry if a bit of the clay gets stuck in the details of the mold. You can take it out using a larger piece of Model Magic.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Alice,

Were you able to get a good impression with a cookie recipe? Mine came out blobs... It did come up great with this homemade clay recipe though

1 c cornstarch
2 c basking soda
1 1/4 c water

Heat 4 minute until it looks like mashed potatoes. Remove from heat and knead. Use as needed. It took a few days to dry though.

I might try this the next time round
1 c salt
1/2 c water
2 T vege oil
2 c flour
Shape and bake 25oF for a few hours.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 27 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Genevieve,

We tried one of the St. Nicholas molds for his feast day. We made both gingerbread and speculaas cookies using House on the Hill's recipes. The results were mixed, but seemed to have the most detail when I chilled small batches of dough first and pushed really hard into the mold. I'm going to try the springerle recipe this time.

Alice (and Genevieve),

I love the idea of using clay, especially since I bought a Paschal Lamb and an Easter egg mold too! These are much smaller than "Pentecost," so the clay should work well. And any help justifying the expense is much appreciated! (My wish list at House on the Hill is pretty long!)   

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Refrigerating! But of course!

I noticed they also had a cream cheese recipe We LOVE cream cheese cookies here!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Hey guys: This is late somewhat, but we have traditions that have evolved over time. I never really had any for the Easter season growing up, mostly a secular Easter. But we wanted differently with our dc.

We enjoy the Palm Sunday procession and place our Palms around the house amongst our Holy Pictures. This year I didn't get around to it (and didn't have enough purple cloth) but we normally cover our statues and holy pictures with purple so they cannot be seen - use up all the Holy water by Holy Thursday). We did at least remove all flowers and candles.

We tried to attend Mass more regularly throughout Lent, including Holy Week. We did our own cedar meal. We initially tried on Holy Thursday but it was too rushed to be finished eating by Mass time so we moved the celebration to Wednessday of Holy Week. The cedar we have goes through the Jewish passover while connecting it to the last supper. We have lamb and substitute sparkling grape juice for the wine so even the littlest get the special drink.

On Holy Thursday, we all attend the evening Mass. We spend a short time in adoration right after Mass with the littles but then older dc and parent return for adoration in turns later after littles are tucked in. It is the most beautiful time for me. We do try to leave the church in some silence. One year the church actually turned off the lights so folks would leave in silence. Between the lights off and signs on the door it actually worked - and was so wonderful to have the awesome silence that is so rare nowadays.

We like to keep Good Friday somewhat more silent and solemn but with young dc, I did have to accept the reality that it wouldn't be a deep silence. Instead of fretting, we started the tradition of making tombs on good Friday, and a cross, and coloring Jesus. We read about the passion and try to time things so that we can tape our Jesus to the cross before stations at 3PM. The first year it was somewhat of a production to make all those tombs - so we saved the actual tombs and just recolor the front piece and the Jesus each year and only make new tombs if the stored ones are too damaged.

After stations, the dc take the Jesus off the cross, fold his hands, wrap him in a shroud and place him in the tomb and seal the door. Patterns for all of these are in Seton's first grade art program. I also have things to plant. My grandmother always said that we should plant on Good Friday and somehow this seems like an appropriately symbolic activity. If we don't have time or I'm not up to the additional mud that inevitably ends up inside, we read or do other such activities. If the dc are up to it, we go again to church for Veneration of the Cross. Going by the church on Good Friday is so visual - as the dc see the empty tabernacle with open doors, the sanctuary lamp unlit and the Holy Water fonts empty.

Holy Saturday is the day we die Easter eggs, make our Easter story cookies, clean house and begin to ready the house for Easter. I don't have much in the way of decorations. I normally have Jumbo shells planned for Easter dinner because I have them frozen earlier in the year for special occassions or easy meals when someone is in need. (Unfortunately it did ruin my white tablecloth). The children begin coloring the risen Jesus and place it somewhere where I can identify whose is whose. We always go to Holy Saturday Mass - at the request of all the children. We begin outside with the Easter fire - what child is not fascinated by a raging fire. Each child gets a candle (as well as mom and dad). The 3 yo is so proud to hold his candle in the dark. Our dc have generally fallen asleep during the multiple readings in the dark when they were too young to last the whole time - and then make it when they no longer fall asleep. I do try to be considerate and collect the candle holders once the candles are out so the wax doesn't get everywhere and do try to tidy up our pew of any loose wax before we leave. When we get home, we pull out our homemade Easter candle (nothing terribly artistic but it gives the idea). If the dc are not overly tired, we do remove the masking tape from the oven door and eat a Easter story cookie before bed.

Then dh and I (after dc are in bed), remove the Jesus from the tomb, stand the risen Jesus on top or in front of the tomb. We pull out baptismal candles (and when we cannot make it to Mass again on Sunday, we do renew our baptismal promises and try to stop by the church for a visit and to refill our holy water). We place a single plastic Easter egg in the tomb to tell the dc where their Easter basket is hidden (which I try to make visually wow with ribbons, etc.). We draw (which might actually be harder to decipher) for the non-readers and do include something about the ressurection and lots of Alleluiahs. I also put out some sort of surprise decorations.

This year someone on this board suggested a crown of thorns using toothpicks and playdough. We did this, removing the thorns into a little dish for each day of lenten sacrifice. It was a great motivator. So on Easter Sunday, instead of thorns, the dish contained mints.

Besides the Mass if we are able, renewal of baptismal promises (either at Mass or at home), a special breakfast with the lit family Easter candle and lots of flowers and (if we managed to cover our statues, these are now uncovered) and we try to have some sort of flowers around, we have a big breakfast with the best dishes and white tablecloth. We gather with family later in the day to do a joint Easter Egg hunt (picking the biggest yard with the least amount of poison ivy and have an Easter dinner together with lots of laughter, talking, music, and fun.

Unfortunately my dh has to work on Monday and orchestra starts up, etc so I am looking for ideas to keep the sense of celebration going at least through the first week of Easter and then again at Pentecost.

For Pentecost someone suggested a 12 fruit salad and we've done some artsy type things but it needs something to bring out the importance of the day.
I look forward to some great ideas here.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I am inspired for celebrating Pentecost.
A few ideas:
Wear red-our previous pastor always asked us to wear red to Mass on Pentecost.
Make a dove mobile. On each dove write the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Read Acts (the part about the coming of the Holy Spirit- ?chapter 2? I really should just look it up!)
Make a "birthday" cake, put a candle on that can't be blown out.
Make a "Holy Spirit" kite and fly it.
Some ideas from looking at other sites:
Sing hymns appropriate for the Holy Spirit- all I can think of are "Come Holy Ghost, Creator Blest," and "Breathe on me breath of God."
When making a cake, use 7 candles stuck in 7 red life savers/outline a dove on the cake with red-hot cinnamon candies for the tongues of fire/have 12 strawberry halves set into the frosting, around the side of the cake.
Trying to think of something to draw a parallel between the Tower of Babel and the Gift of Tongues, or something to do with foreign languages, but am coming up with nothing. Maybe make a banner or flag to put on porch with something "religious" on it in a few different languages, and use white and red?
I hope some of these are helpful!
Oh, and don't forget the Holy Spirit novena.
God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 28 2006 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Genevieve wrote:
I noticed they also had a cream cheese recipe We LOVE cream cheese cookies here!

Genevieve, I LOVE cream cheese but have never tried cream cheese cookies. And I'm a bit confused by HotH's recipe. What is the Walnut/Peanut Butter Filling all about? Are you supposed to place a "pocket" of filling in the middle of each cookie?

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2006 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I'm just as confused as you. I've always used it as drop cookies not cookie molds. This is the recipe I used. It talks about a filling placed on top...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version