Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: African American History Sites in the US Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Have you visited any? Which ones?

I've been doing a little research on this topic and feel as though I have neglected a huge part of U. S. history (even though I've been to Monticello and Mount Vernon and seen the slave quarters there, been to the National Museum of American history, Harpers Ferry, etc.).

I'm hoping for some recommendations from people who've been to museums and historic sites around the U. S. I want to keep some of these places on my radar for future trips.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

What a great thread, since it ties in with the history we are doing.

I posted in the Heart and Soul - African American history unit thread one of those great places to visit.

National Underground Railroad Freedom Center - a fabulous museum in Cincinnati, OH. Visit if you ever have a chance. We unfortunately didn't have enough time when we went, so I'd love to go back sometime and not feel like I was rushing through. It is very interactive. Several places where you really interact with the exhibits.

The other thing that I had wanted to do when we were in the area was visit some of the actual Underground Railroad safe houses and homes of conductors/abolitionists. Does anyone have recommendation on which ones would be best? Most accessible?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We have places right here in Manassas, actually right around my house. Our subdivision used to be the Johnson plantation. They sold the land, but with a provision that the slave quarters (a very, very small cabin) would remain. information here.

And also is Jennie Dean Industrial School.

These are minor, obviously. Most of the sites like Jefferson's plantation, Mount Vernon, etc. have areas for the slavery sections.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Posted on The Museum of African American History and its Black Heritage Trailwalking tour over on the Heart and Soul thread. It's located in Boston.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Here's a local one for you Nancy:

The Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. There is a 3-day suggested itinerary here.

Also, opening in early 2013, the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I've not explored its virtual offerings, but I have visited the Birmingham Civil Rights Museum. It looks like they have a lot of online educational programs.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2012 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Some places we've recently visited.

Paul Laurence Dunbar, first African-American to gain national eminence as a poet. He was a high school classmate of Orville Wright as well. Paul Laurence Dunbar House in Dayton, OH is part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park and the Dayton Aviation Trail which includes the Wright Cycle Company Complex where there is a section devoted to information on Paul Laurence Dunbar.

Denver has the Black American West Museum which tells the story of the African-American in the West focusing a lot on the Buffalo Soldiers and black cowboys. It also covers how Denver has been referred to as the "Harlem of the West" for its jazz history, where many of the greats, including Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, and more played at clubs here.

Lindsay or Jen, I would imagine there some sites and museums associated Tuskegee Instititue (and Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver, Tuskegee Airmen). Have you visted them? What are those like?

And another area I think would be really interesting to visit - though there isn't much there - but they do have a new visitor center , is Fort Mose. It's the site of the first legally sanctioned free African settlement in what is now the United States (1738). The story is fascinating and has Catholic connections as converting to the Faith was one of the requirements of residency.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 23 2012 at 4:01am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Detroit has the wonderful Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. It is the "largest institution dedicated to African American experience." It has a wonderful life size model of a portion of the cargo hold of a slave ship so you can really see what it was like. There is a hands-on exhibition for children, “A is for Africa!”, comprised of twenty-six interactive stations, designed for children from pre-school through fourth grade. I do recall photos of lynchings in another part of the museum, but I believe they are placed at an adult's eye-level, so younger kids would likely not notice them.

Their website has interactive modules for kids of Ancient West African History as well as a Living History site with videos and cartoons. On that page, be sure to check out The Journey timeline which could be a unit in itself!

If you visit in person, be sure to also visit the nearby Detroit Institute of Art, which has an entire wing of African Art.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version