Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Need tree suggestions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Can any of you help me with suggestions for a tree to plant in my backyard? I am looking for something that grows unusually quickly so that it will provide shade for my family room within a few years.

We planted a young maple for this purpose a few years ago and it still looks like a stick and has barely grown a few feet, so I will be a grandmother by the time that provides us with shade in its current position. I am seriously considering moving it and planting something that will really do the job.

The tree needs to be visually appealing, provide some nice color in the Fall (my favorites turn red, but gold would be fine too), and not cause problems with large roots because we have a VERY small yard. I am thinking of a Bradford Pear. Do you have any other suggestions to consider? If you happen to find a picture online, that would help me to picture your suggestion, because I really don't know much about different trees.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Is it a Silver Maple. I think those grow quickly.
I am looking forward to reading any suggestions, I would like to add some trees to our tiny backyard.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

A Bradford pear is the first thing that popped in my mind as you were describing what you wanted. Yellow poplars (aka Tulip trees) also grow quite quickly and have the bonus of being native trees (unlike a Bradford pear). They are bright yellow in the fall and have big tulip-like flowers in the summer.
here is a fact sheet on them:
Tulip tree
and another:tulip tree

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I also found these two articles which had some good info:
Ten Trees You should Avoid Planting
and
Ten best trees to plant
Hope that helps!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Mary Chris, the maple I have is a sugar maple. It turns a beautiful red in Fall, but is taking forever to grow!

Theresa, thanks so much for the suggestions. I was beginning to think that the Tulip Poplar might be perfect, but then found something that talked about how large they grow and how they would be best for a large lot with plenty of soil space.

I guess I should refine my requirements. The location I am looking to fill is only about 20 feet away from the house, so the leaves would have to begin fairly close to the ground to provide the shade I am looking for. Maybe 10-12 feet off the ground or so? And my yard is so small, with houses spaced so close together, that I'd be better off with a tree that didn't grow too tall in the end. Maybe 30-40 feet or so at most?

After searching around using Theresa's links (which were very helpful!) I was reminded of a nice tree that we used to have in our front yard at our former townhouse. It's a sweetgum tree. Do any of you know how fast they grow? I loved the tree's shape and color, but the little balls that fell each year were a bit troublesome.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 24 2006 at 4:49am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Irene,
We have a Bradford pear in front of our house and I was just commenting to Mike how it's filling the window already. It's been just under four years since it was planted. We planted a Bradford pear in front of our townhouse when Christian was born and when we moved four years later, it really did fill the townhouse yard. They have a lovely shape and the blooms are beautiful in the spring, but they don't smell pretty .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:13am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Our Norway maple is a quick grower definately outgrowing the Crimson King maple (red leaf).
Silver maples are a mess when mature. They break and shed large branches.
Maybe you could leave the maple , since it has been establishing itself for the last few years and may take off , like our Norway maple, and still have room for the Bradford pear?
Viv

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

We planted a beautiful river birch two years ago, and it has grown quite quickly.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Might I suggest a Redbud?
The only reason I do not suggest a Bradford pear more strongly, is because it is non-native. I encourage native plantings when possible for many reasons, not the least of which is that native trees tend to attract more wildlife. Birds and other beasts see the tree and recognize it and make it home, whereas with non-natives you tend to get less wildlife attracted to it.
Since you want a smaller tree, you might also want to consider also a cherry (there are many varieties), which grows fast, or a crepe myrtle. They wont get as tall, but will be great to shade at the 10-12 foot height, and then some. They also have the bonus of attracting lots of birds. The cedar waxwings love ours.
Oh, and I LOVE sweetgum as well, but those gumballs are murderous on little bare feet.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I love your suggestions, Theresa. My two favorite trees are Redbud and Crepe Myrtle. In fact, those are the only other two trees currently in our backyard! The Crepe Myrtle is strategically placed on the other side of the yard to provide future shade for our deck. It is growing nicely and will do the job in a few more years.

And after thinking more about the Sweetgum, I have to agree with you. When we had it in our townhouse, my girls were too young and the yard was too small for them to be running around the front yard playing much. Now the balls would be awful, both for their tender feet and for the danger of twisted ankles.

Viv, I know it's a shame to uproot a tree like a Maple just for shade purposes, but our yard to truly so small that I couldn't leave it there and add another. I've been pondering where we could fit the Maple because I certainly don't want to give up on it completely.

And Lissa, I think the people who live behind us have a grouping of three River Birches. They really do grow quickly! And I was noticing just today how pretty they look swaying in the breeze.

A friend mentioned that I might want to look at a Cleveland Select Pear. They are very similar to the Bradford Pear, but don't have the problem of limbs splitting in high winds when they reach maturity.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, yes, I meant to mention that. Last year we had some pretty high winds come through and so many of the local Bradford pears split in half or lost large chunks. I wouldn't want one in my yard after seeing that.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Also, the life span of a Bradford Pear is 20 years max...We planted one in our back yard 3 years ago and it is growing very well and provides a bit of shade, now. We went ahead and planted it because we knew we would be gone before it's life span was over!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version