Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Ergo Baby Carriers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 27 2006 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Up until this month I've used a sling and a Bjorn and let me tell you I REALLY wish I had gotten an Ergo sooner!

I have moose babies, too, (not yet 4 month old Natalie has already passed the 25lb mark) and they outgrow the Bjorn and make the sling really uncomfortable early, but with the Ergo most of the the weight is on my hips and legs and it's much, much more comfortable than either the Bjorn or the sling.

We've done plenty of hiking in our woods and checking out the frogs in the pond since I got it and it really is great for that.

I also have a not-small chest and although I've mostly used the carrier in front (which puts that strap across my shoulder blades in back), the few times I have had in back the strap across the chest hasn't bothered me because the height is adjustable and that particular strap doesn't really bear any weight so I have just adjusted it to be loose and very high (like across my collar bones).

The site I bought mine from also had a 60 day money back guarantee so even if you're not sure I'd go ahead and try one when baby gets big enough (I wouldn't use it for a really little baby) since you can always send it back if you don't like it.

kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 27 2006 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

I have used every carrier known to man and have liked some for some things, hated others entirely, and still use a whole arsenal to get through any given day. Here is my most recent battle plan:

I used a pouch sling (Hotslings) for the newborn stage.....non adjustable. The pouch was very cosy and secure feeling for the newborn stage and the snugness of the sling and it being high up really appealed to me. It is slightly padded on one side to use for a hip carry but this didn't work for me once baby was big enough. It felt too tight. It works, however, in the kangaroo hold when they get steady-necked enough to want to face out a little. However, it killed my back when baby reached the 20 lb. mark.

I have always used a Maya Wrap. I hated the padded ones with bumpers. I am only 5'2" and have never had a petite one, so if I had been better able to adjust it, that probably would have improved matters. However, I love my Maya Wrap. I use it regularly for grocery store, church and library still and baby is now 11 mos.

I also have a Mei Tei. It is just a square of fabric with four ties at each corner. Mine is slightly padded for the shoulder area. I LOVE my Mei Tei. When baby was less wiggly I wore it in the front carry position all the time. It was magic for my back. It did a way better job of distributing the weight across my shoulders and back than the Baby Bjorn. Also, if you do a google search, there is a fair amount of talk about how the Baby Bjorn isn't good for babies as the majority of their weight is supported by the crotch area. I believe the Ergo does a better job of that, as do slings and the Mei Tei. The baby is more "seated" and better for the natural curve of their spine.

To add another .02 worth, I found the Ergo hard to get in and out of and did not like that strap across the front when using the back carry position. I do use my Mei Tei for the back carry regulary and this is my most favoritest of all baby carrying positions. I have heard many the idyllic story of mommas doing housework with baby cozily nestled in sling....this doesn't really work well for me. Once they get big enough for a hip carry, they also get big enough to snatch the spoon out of the pan on the stove and the like. The Mei Teil with baby tied on back is a lifesaver for me. I can cook, wash dishes, laundry, vacuum...you name it. It is my 11 mo. old preferred nap place. I also do not like the criscross of the straps over my large nursing front...ahem. It is NOT flattering. So, I use the rucksack carry..... (I pull the straps over my shoulder, pull over the fronts of the same shoulder and then down and tie under baby's bum. Works like magic.

I'm not sure I've helped any. I know all about the aching back and the sweet "hold me momma" stage. My 11 mo. old is not yet walking, but wants to be held less and less. He wants someone to do "walkies" with him all day, giving him a finger to navigate with...talk about hard on the back!

Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version