Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Heart and Soul - African American history Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Has anyone else seen this fantastic new book by Kadir Nelson (be sure to watch the embedded video)?

Heart and Soul - The Story of America and African Americans

NPR Author Interview

A lovely and moving living book, gorgeously and copiously illustrated. The history of America, through the eyes of an African American woman, suggested for 4th grade and up. Quotes from famous Americans at the start of each chapter make the perfect copywork/dictation. Three-to-four-page chapters ideal for narration. AND, it seems to me, the perfect spine for a 2-3 month unit on African American history. Chapter headings follow:

Prologue
1 - Declarations of Independence
2 - Slavery
3 - Abolition
4 - Lincoln's War
5 - Reconstruction
6 - Cowboys and Indians: Native Americans and Westward Negroes
7 - Turn of the Century and the Great Migration
8 - Harlem and the Vote for Women
9 - Hard Times and World War II
10 - Black Innovation
11 - Jim Crow's A-Dying
12 - Revolution
Epilogue

Anyone want to help me collect supplemental reading/videos/websites etc. for each chapter?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I currently have it out from the library. It is a BEAUTIFUL book! Kadir Nelson is an extremely talented illustrator and I have admired his work in many recent picture books. This book is really well done and engaging. I haven't "done" anything with it yet, but this thread is incentive. THe 2-3 month unit sounds great.

hmbress wrote:
Anyone want to help me collect supplemental reading/videos/websites etc. for each chapter?

Well, Heather that request is right up my alley. I can't resist a project to assemble history resources. So, I would be happy to join in...

And many of the additional resources I would recommend are going to be ones by Kadir Nelson. He has quite a list of additional picture books on the subject of African-American history.

This is a great project to have in place by February, which is traditionally African American History Month, don't you think?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

I'll start with Chapter 1 - Declarations of Independence

Main point: Blacks, both slave and free, were present in America from the very beginning and instrumental in the foundation of our country.

BOOKS

A Kid's Guide to African American History: More than 70 Activities (A Kid's Guide series) - Chapter 2

Picture Books:
D is for Drinking Gourd: F is for Founding Fathers
Almost Invisible - Black Patriots of the American Revolution
Phillis's Big Test - Because she is a slave, Phillis Wheatley must take a test to prove that she was the author of her poetry
Phillis Sings Out Freedom: The Story of George Washington and Phillis Wheatley
Brick by Brick (Charles Smith Jr.) - 1792-1800 building of the White House by slaves

....and a few picture books with longer text:
A Voice of Her Own: The Story of Philiss Wheatley, a biography for children of a noted African American poet
Dear Benjamin Banneker - The story of a free black astronomer and mathematician who decided to take a stand against slavery by writing to then-Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson.
The Black Regiment of the American Revolution - slaves who fought not only for American independence but also for their own freedom

Non-fiction & Activity Books:
Liberty of Death: The Surprising Story of Runaway Slaves Who Sided with the British During the American Revolution - interesting story about a specific aspect of black service during Revolution
Come All You Brave Soldiers
The Black Soldier A general book about soldiers through all of the American wars from pre-revolution to Gulf War.
America's Black Founders: Revolutionary Heroes & Early Leaders with 21 Activities (For Kids series) celebrates the lesser known but significant lives and contributions of our nation's early African American leaders
African Americans and the Revolutionary War - Good basic overview for children

Chapter Books:
Jump Ship to Freedom - (James Lincoln Collier) Note that the "n" word is used a fair amount in this book, so discussion is required. Aside from the historical usage of the word, one interesting theme is how Daniel's idea of himself (intelligence, self-worth) changes over time.
Mumbet: The Story of Elizabeth (Harold Felton)
The Captive, experiences of an African young man taken to New England as a slave, which I think is loosely based on a true story

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART
I Too, Sing America: Three Centuries of African American Poetry - Lucy Terry and Phillis Wheatley

An interesting rabbit trail - finding info on Prince Whipple - often identified as the African America in the front of the boat crossing the Delaware in Leutze's famous painting. He did serve in Revolution, but story of being at Trenton in Dec. 1776 appears not to be accurate.

WEBSITES
U.S. Capitol Historical Paintings (note, no African-Americans depicted)
Colonial Williamsburg Introduction to Colonial African American Life
Dunmore's Proclamation offering freedom to slaves who volunteered to fight for the British
African Colonials (Click on African Colonials tab on left side halfway down)
Very interesting collection of art, pictures, letters, etc. related to blacks in the Revolution
National Park Service site about African Americans in the Revolutionary Period

OTHER RESOURCES
Liberty's Kids - This PBS history program for kids features Phillis Wheatley in episode 2 as well as a freed black artisan throughout the show (whose still-enslaved brother escaped and chose to fight for the British).

Crispus Attucks was the first patriot to die in the American Revolution in the Boston Massacre in 1770. The US Mint issued a commemorative coin in 1998.

In 1975 the US postal service issued a stamp of Salem Poor - African-American patriot who fought at Bunker Hill

And Benjamin Banneker (mentioned above) has a commemorative stamp:

Thanks to MaryM and stellamaris for your many contributions of books and resources for this chapter! If anyone has any further suggestions, please do share!

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Additional resources:

The list of Coretta Scott King Award recipients

Curricular Guides for the Coretta Scott King Award books:
  • Hear directly from African American authors and illustrators as they talk about and read from their books.
  • Enjoy audio recordings, book readings, videos, and more.
  • Teach the Coretta Scott King Book Award-winning books with this free, online collection of primary source materials and lesson plans.

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 2 - Slavery

Main Point: The conditions of slavery and experiences of slaves were cruel and inhumane. This chapter discusses the typical life of a slave and desire to escape the life of slavery.

BOOKS

A Kid's Guide to African American History: More than 70 Activities (A Kid's Guide series) - Parts of Chapter 2 and Chapter 3

Picture Books:
D is for Drinking Gourd: D is for Drinking Gourd, Q is for Quilts, S is for Slavery
Who Owns the Sun? A FIAR book that sensitively discusses slavery - this is a touching and serious view of the terrible impact of slavery on the human soul
Mingo (Lenice Strohmeier) - 1771, Massachusetts
The Village that Vanished (Kadir Nelson)
Now Let Me Fly (Dolores Johnson) - Slave trade, Africa, 1815
A Strawbeater's Thanksgiving (Irene Smalls)
From Slave Ship to Freedom Road (Julius Lester)
Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave (Laban Carrick) - 1830s-60s - - This recent Caldecott book has a sparse, lyrical feel and is appropriate for the younger learner (early elementary)
Fortune's Bones (Marilyn Nelson)

A slave who played a prominent role in an important expedition during this time following the Revolutionary War was York, slave of William Clark (Lewis & Clark Expedition):
American Slave, American Hero: York of the Lewis And Clark Expedition (Laurence Pringle)
My Name is York (Elizabeth Van Steenwyk)[/quote]

....and a few picture books with longer text:
Christmas in the Big House, Christmas in the Quarters (Patricia McKissack)
Amistad: The Story of a Slave Ship: Station Stop 3 (Patricia McKissack) - easy reader

Chapter books:
Amos Fortune, Free Man (Elizabeth Yates) - 1955 Newberry Medal
Slave Dancer (Paula Fox) - 1973 Newberry Medal
The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano (Ann Cameron)
The Long Black Schooner: The Voyage of the Amistad (Emma Gelders Sterne) ; also known as The Slave Ship (1970s reprint) & Dover has a current reprint under the title, Story of the Amistad
Two Tickets to Freedom, the story of a courageous escape from slavery

Carolina Clay: The Life and Legend of Slave Potter Dave (stellamaris notes: I'd like to read myself, but haven't yet so can't wholeheartedly recommend)

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART
Never Forgotten (Patricia McKissack)
I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery (Cynthia Grady)
I Too, Sing America: Three Centuries of African American Poetry - George Moses Horton

Like a Bird: The Art of the American Slave Song (Cynthia Grady)
In the Hollow of Your Hand: Slave Lullabies (Alice McGill)

This chapter mentions the work songs & spirituals that slaves would sing to help ease each others work and how the songs sometimes held secrets - codes to pass on messages. One song - "Follow the Drinking Gourd" has been held as one with a secret code for following the Big Dipper/North Star to freedom. Whether or not this song actually existed at that time is disputed, but the folklore of the secret code songs is evident even if a specific song can't be traced historically. There are some picture books based on the story of the drinking gourd imagery.

Follow the Drinking Gourd (Jeanette Winter)
Follow the Drinking Gourd (Bernardine Connelly)

Other picture books with the theme of secret signs or codes for escape on the Underground Railroad.
Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt(Deborah Hopkinson)
Secret Signs along the Underground Railroad (Anita Riggio)
Under the Quilt of Night (Deborah Hopkinson)

Negro Spirituals - history, song samples
African American secular slave songs
Songs of the American Negro Slaves from Smithsonian Folkways Music

WEBSITES
Slavery and the Making of America
Jefferson and Slavery at Montecello

Once again, thanks to MaryM and stellamaris for contributing so very many of these resources. If anyone has any further contributions, please let me know.

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 3 - Abolition

Main Point: There were voices and organizations that sought to abolish slavery in this country. This chapter touches on the most prominent abolitionists and the work of the Underground Railroad in helping slaves north to freedom, along with the importance of literacy & education in spreading the word. Literacy of the slaves was feared and teaching them to read or write was prohibited. Missouri compromise enacted & threat of war draws near.

BOOKS
A Kid's Guide to African American History: More than 70 Activities (A Kid's Guide series) - Chapter 4

Picture Books:
Stories of escaping to freedom on the Underground Railroad
D is for Drinking Gourd A is for Abolitionists
A Place called Freedom (Scott Russell Sanders) - UG Railroad, frontier Ohio 1832
January's Sparrow (Patricia Polacco)
Almost to Freedom (Vaunda Nelson)
Night Boat to Freedom (Margot Theis Raven)
I Want to be Free (Joseph Slate)
Friend on Freedom River (Gloria Whelan)
Barefoot (Pamela Duncan)
Henry's Freedom Box (Ellen Levine)
Freedom Song: The Story of Henry "Box" Brown (Sally Walker)

The Listeners (Gloria Whelan) - eavesdropping on owners, Lincoln election

Alec's Primer (Mildred Pitts Walter) - story of a girl teaching a slave to read and write
Miss Crandall's School for Young Ladies & Little Misses of Color (Elizabeth Alexander) - school for free black girls in Connecticut in 1830's, racism and persecution

Some of the abolitionists and conductors
Sojourner Truth : A Voice for Freedom (Patricia and Fredrick McKissack)
My Name is Truth: The Life of Sojourner truth (Ann Turner)
When Harriet Met Sojourner (Catherine Clinton)
Moses: When Harriet Tubman Lead her People to Freedom (Carol Boston Weatherford)
Minty: A Story of Young Harriet Tubman (Alan Schroeder)
A Picture Book of Harriet Tubman (David Adler)
Words Set Me Free: The Story of Young Frederick Douglass (Lesa Cline-Ransome)
Picture Book of Frederick Douglass (David Adler)
Lincoln and Douglass: An American Friendship (Nikki Giovanni)
John Brown: His Fight for Freedom (John Hendrix)
A Picture Book of Harriet Beecher Stowe (David Adler)

Frederick Douglass for Kids: His Life and Times, with 21 Activities
If You Traveled on the Underground Railroad
The Underground Railroad for Kids: From Slavery to Freedom with 21 Activities
The Forbidden Schoolhouse: The True and Dramatic Story of Prudence Crandall and Her Students (Suzanne Jurmain) -Story of the attempt to open and maintain one of the first African American schools in America, 1830s, racism
Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass: The Story Behind an American Friendship (Russell Freedman)

Chapter Books:
Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad - Ann Petry
Dear Austin - Letters From the Underground Railroad (Elvira Woodruff)
My America: Freedom's Wings: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, Book One (Sharon Dennis Wyeth)
My America: Flying Free: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, Book Two (Sharon Dennis Wyeth)

POETRY, MUSIC & ART
Freedom's a-Callin Me (Ntozake Shange)
I Too, Sing America: Three Centuries of African American Poetry - James M. Whitfield, Frances Ellen Watkins Harper

WEBSITES
Underground Railroad Activities - Scholastic teacher pages
Mission US - Flight to Freedom - Excellent interactive game about a 14-year-old girl on the Underground Railroad
Underground Railroad Interactive - National Geographic education section
National Underground Railroad Freedom Center - a fabulous museum in Cincinnati, visit if you ever have a chance. Site has some education sections.

OTHER RESOURCES
US Postage stamps featuring abolitionists and underground railroad conductors:

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 4 - Lincoln's War

Main Point:

BOOKS
Picture Books:
Hold the Flag High (Catherine Clinton)
Seven Miles to Freedom : The Robert Smalls Story (Janet Halfmann)
Robert Smalls: The Boat Thief (Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.)
Freedom Ship (Doreen Rappaport) - family who escaped with Robert Smalls
Ben and the Emancipation Proclamation (Pat Sherman)

...a few longer text picture books:
Pink and Say (Patricia Polacco)

Non-Fiction & Activity Books:

Chapter Books:

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART

WEBSITES
Letter from a former slave to his old master

OTHER RESOURCES

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 5 - Reconstruction

Main Point:

BOOKS
Picture Books:
Jonkonnu (Amy Littlesugar) - A fictional story set during reconstruction taken from the theme of a Winslow Homer painting. Lovely book.
Ellen's Broom (Kelly Starling Lyons) - Based on the recognition of slave marriages during reconstruction. It is a very sweet story, excellent illustrations.
Freedom's School (Lesa Cline-Ransome)
Walking Home to Rosie Lee (A. LaFaye) - reuniting families, Freedman's Bureaus

Chapter Books:
Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule (Harriette Gillem Robinet)
Up From Slavery, the autobiography of Booker T. Washington

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART
Winslow Homer worked as a Civil War artist. After the war he spent time in the South painting pictures that depicted the life of the blacks during reconstruction. Winslow Homer's Images of Blacks: The Civil War and Reconstruction Years covers the topic.

The Cotton Pickers (1876)

Dressing for the Carnival (1877)

A Visit from the Old Mistress (1876)

WEBSITES

OTHER RESOURCES

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 6 - Cowboys and Indians: Native Americans and Westward Negroes

Main Point:

Picture Books:
Away West (Patricia C. McKissack) - post civil war, Buffalo Soldiers
The Buffalo Soldier (Sherrie Garland)
Black Cowboy, Wild Horses (Julius Lester) - story of Bob Lemmons, cowboy, former slave
Bill Pickett: Rodeo-Ridin' Cowboy (Andrea Pinkney)
Pappy's Handkerchief (Devin Scillian) - Oklahoma Land Run, 1889
I Have Heard of a Land (Joyce Carol Thomas) - Oklahoma Land Run, 1889
The Story of Stagecoach Mary Fields (Robert Miller)

Longer Text Picture Books:
Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U. S. Marshal (Vaunda Micheaux Nelson)

Chapter Books:
Legend of Bass Reeves (Gary Paulsen)
Nat Love, Negro Cowboy (Harold Felton)
Jim Beckwourth, Negro mountain man (Harold Felton)
Black Cowboy: teh Story of Nat Love (Charlotte Clark)
Aunt Clara Brown: Official Pioneer - easy reader

Nonfiction & Activity Books:
Black Frontiers: A History of African American Heroes in the Old West (Lillian Schlissel)
Best Shot in the West: The Adventures of Nat Love (Patricia McKissack)

Poetry:

Websites:
Black Cowboys.com - site has nice biographies of the most famous of the black cowboys (and girls).
Bio of Stagecoach Mary Fields and her work at St. Peter's Mission School in Montana
Julia Greeley - freed slave, Catholic convert, came to Colorado as a nanny for the territorial governor in 1874. Her cause for sainthood is being pursued by some local people.
James Pierson Beckwourth - mountain man, western explorer early/middle part of the 19th century

Black American West Museum in Denver, CO

Other Resources:
Video portrayal of Aunt Clara Brown - Colorado pioneer in westward expansion

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 7 - Turn of the Century and the Great Migration

Main Point:

BOOKS
Picture Books:
The Great Migration (Jacob Lawrence) - African-American artist, Jacob Lawrence chronicles the 1916-1919 migration of blacks from the South through a sequence of 60 paintings and accompanying narrative captions.
This Is the Rope: A Story from the Great Migration (Jacqueline Woodson) - Fictional story of 3 generations and their experience having left South Carolina for the north, includes a great image tying the generations together.
The Great Migration (Eloise Greenfield)

Chapter Books:

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART
The Great Migration (Eloise Greenfield) - picture book of poetry about experiences of the Great Migration

The Migration of the Negro, Panel no. 3, 1940 (from the Great Migration Series by Jacob Lawrence - pictures are text to bok mentioned above)

WEBSITES

OTHER RESOURCES

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 8 - Harlem and the Vote for Women

Main Point:

BOOKS
Picture Books:
Yours for Justice, Ida B. Wells: The Daring Life of a Crusading Journalist (Philip Dray)
Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and His Orchestra (Andrea Pinkney)
If I Only Had a Horn: Young Louis Armstrong (Roxanne Orgill)
Dizzy (Jonah WInter) - story of Dizzy Gillespie
Harlem Renaissance Party (Faith Ringgold) - Harlem Renaissance, 19202-30s

Duke Ellington: His Life in Jazz with 21 Activities
Story Painter: the Life of Jacob Lawrence (John Duggleby)

Chapter Books:

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART
Jazz - picture book covering the story of jazz from origins to present, with vocabulary

Aaron Douglas - artist who played a leading role in the Harlem Renaissance

Aspiration, 1936

Jacob Lawrence - late Harlem Renaissance artist, described style as "dynamic cubism. One of the most important artists of the 20th century, was best known for his series of narrative paintings depicting important moments in African American history.

Interior Scene, 1937.

WEBSITES
Jacob Lawrence - Exploring Stories interactive education website

OTHER RESOURCES

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 9 - Hard Times and World War II

Main Point:

BOOKS
Picture Books:
Bessie Smith and the Night Riders (Sue Stauffacher) - Klu Klux Klan, 1920s
World War II: 1939-45
Wind Flyers (Angela Johnson) - WWII, Tuskegee Airmen
Coming on Home Soon (Jacqueline Woodson) - WWII homefront story, African-American women heads north to work in factory

Chapter Books:

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART

WEBSITES

OTHER RESOURCES

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 10 - Black Innovation

Main Point:

BOOKS
Picture Books:

George Washington Carver: Man's Slave becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)

Chapter Books:

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART

WEBSITES

OTHER RESOURCES

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 11 - Jim Crow's A-Dying

Main Point:

Picture Books:
The Story of Ruby Bridges - Written by the child psychiatrist who helped Ruby, the first black child to attend an all-white elementary school. Beautiful story about the power of prayer and forgiveness.

There are quite a few picture books that have as the subject the experience of segregation and prejudice:
Uncle Jed's Barbershop (Margaree King Mitchell) - overcoming injustice
Grandmama's Pride (Becky Birtha)
Going Someplace Special (Patricia McKissack)
White Water (Michael Bandy)
White Socks Only (Evelyn Coleman)
Ruth and the Green Book ( Calvin Alexander)
The Other Side (E. B. Lewis) - friendship overcoming prejudice
Across the Alley (Richard Michelson) - friendship overcoming prejudice
Freedom Summer (Anne Schwartz)
Satchel Paige: Don't Look Back (David Adler)

Rosa Parks & the Montgomery bus boycott:
Boycott Blues (Andrea Pinkney) – 1955
Rosa (Nikki Giovanni) - 1955
If a Bus Could talk (Faith Ringgold)
Back of the Bus (Aaron reynolds)
Rosa's Bus (Jo Kittinger)

Longer Text Picture Books:
Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow (James Sturm) - Graphic novel, brilliantly written, but definitely for older kids due to mentions of violence. Preread, and plan to discuss.

Chapter Books:

Poetry & Music:
Marian Anderson would be a great person to study as she struggled against and overcame prejudice.
~When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson is a picture book that earned a Robert E. Sibert Honor Medal.
~For older students, the biography Marian Anderson: A Voice Uplifted.

Norman Rockwell's painting "A Problem We All Live With" would fit well in with the study of segregation issues and Ruby Bridges.

WEBSITES

OTHER RESOURCES
Ruby Bridges movie. Very well done, ds8 and I had to pause and discuss things a LOT as we watched - especially the scene on Ruby's first day, as the "n" word and "KKK" is spray-painted on a pillar. Several adults also threaten Ruby with death.

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Chapter 12 - Revolution

Main Point:

BOOKS
Picture Books:
Civil Rights Movement
These Hands (Margaret Mason) - 1950s-60s, Wonder Bread factory discrimination, civil rights activism
March On! : The Day my Brother Martin Changed the World (Christine King Farris) – 1963
I Have Dream (Kadir Nelson) - text of speech
Riding to Washington (Gwenyth Swain) – 1963
A Sweet Smell of Roses (Angela Johnson) - 1963
Freedom on the Menu (Carole Boston weatherford) - 1960 Greensboro sit-ins[/quote]
Belle, the Last Mule at Gee's Bend (Calvin Ramsey) - 1965, National Voting Rights Act; 1968, MLK funeral
Martin & Mahalia: His Words, Her Song (Andrey Davis Pinkney & Brian Pinkney) - biography of their lives, Montgomery bus boycott, March on Washington
Preaching to the Chickens (Jabari Asim) - background story on John Lewis, Freedom Rider

Chapter Books:
Abby Takes a Stand (Patricia C. McKissack) - 1960’s

POETRY, MUSIC, & ART

WEBSITES

OTHER RESOURCES

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Hi all-
Wanted to activate this thread again. Heather and I have been pulling together the recommended resources by chapter. This is really an eye opening and interesting study. Basing it on the book was brilliant, Heather.

Anyway, would love to hear if anyone else is doing anything regarding African American history of the US this month.

Please, please post your ideas and resources. We would love this to be as complete and thorough as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

How about a few fine art ideas?

Norman Rockwell's painting "A Problem We All Live With" would fit well in with the study of segregation issues and Ruby Bridges.

Marian Anderson would be a great person to study for Chapter 11 as she struggled against and overcame prejudice. When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson is a picture book that earned a Robert E. Sibert Honor Medal. Another one that looks good for older students is the biography Marian Anderson: A Voice Uplifted. I haven't personally read either of these, fyi.

Raggin': A Story About Scott Joplin--short, fairly easy-to-read chapter book detailing the life of the great jazz composer. Would fit into section on the turn of the century (chapter 7).

I think you might want to move Up From Slavery to the Reconstruction Era, since you have nothing there and it deals with Booker T. Washington's transitions from a life of slavery to life as a free man following the Civil War.

George Washington Carver definitely belongs in the chapter on Black Innovation. The only book I've read on him though is George Washington Carver: Man's Slave becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series), a good first-person biography of his life. I read it ages ago, before I was a Catholic, so there might be a Protestant slant, but then he was a Protestant so that could be an opportunity for discussion.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

For Chapter 4, Lincoln's War:

Undying Glory: The Story of the Massachusetts 54th Regiment--a short chapter book that tells of the heroism and bravery of the first black regiment to fight for the United States.

The Museum of African American History in Boston, Massachusetts has information on this regiment here.

The Museum also offers a Black Heritage Trail walking tour of Boston that "explores the history of Boston's 19th century African American community." Looks great!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping this year, as I have been adding resources to the chapters for this study. We still have areas that need to be filled in. ANy resources to add and share? Thanks.

Our Domestic Church

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 16 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Mary - thanks for continuing to add resources. I hope to do so again myself when we get back from vacation!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version