Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: AB Fulton Sheen picture book? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I recently found this great little picture book written by Archbishop Fulton Sheen, illustrated by Rafaello Busoni.
Jesus, Son of Mary (1947,McMullen Co.)

It's lovely. Kind of reminds me of a Golden Book a little. It would be from the same time period of the heights of Golden Books. Anyway, I searched here and found Maddie mentioned it in an old Old Advent & Christmas Thread

Maddie wrote:
We reread the first chapter of Fulton Sheen's book, Jesus Son of Mary at Christmas time. It was written for children and is so profound. I read it aloud the Christmas Eve my Protestant relatives were visiting and they were marveled at the gems in this book!

For example: Jesus called Himself "the Living Bread descended from Heaven" was born in Bethlehem which in Hebrew means "house of bread" He was laid in a manger a feeding place for animals.

Sheen also describes the signifigance of the Three Wise Mens gifts.

Gold- kings usually wear gold
Incense- He is God and should be surrounded by sweet smelling odors as He is adored
Myrrh- a medicine used to soften the wounds and wash the dead

Wow! This was mind boggling to a me, a convert. I had never heard the most familiar story of Christmas explained in this way.

Sheen is a great storyteller and has such a way with words. This is well adapted to speaking to children in a really understandable and engaging way. The first two sections "His Birth" and "His Boyhood" (Flight into Egypt) fit really well with the Christmas season reading. The section "His Mother" would be good for Immaculate Conception - even though it doesn't address that dogma.

So has anyone else read this book? Do you know if Archbishop Sheen wrote any other picture books?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, when I went looking for a link I found that Ligouri republished it.
Jesus, Son of Mary. The format look is different and it is a different illustrator.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, it seems there must have been 3 versions of this book. Maggie is referring to a 1947 version printed by Declan X. McMullen Co. Inc..

I have a more modern version from 1980 printed by Seabury Press, ISBN 0816404704, illustrated by Marie DeJohn. These look like charcoal illustrations.

We have not read it together. I was put off by Seabury being the publisher. and I thought the text was a little much for the little ones. We'll have to look at it again.

I do have one other children's book by Bishop Sheen, but again, I think the text is a little heavy. It looks like a picture book, but reads like an adult book. The True Meaning of Christmas, illustrated by Fritz Kredel, McGraw-Hill, 1955. It looks like Roman Catholic Books reprinted recently.

I do have a Christmas picture book by Father Gerald Brennan, too....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Well, it seems there must have been 3 versions of this book. Maggie is referring to a 1947 version printed by Declan X. McMullen Co. Inc...
Yes, that is the copy I got. I was editing to put in a link probably when you were posting.

I found the language in it to be accessible for children. Maybe not preschool - but definitely K-elementary.

I had seen the other Sheen book you mention but the descriptions indicate it is for an older audience - so I didn't think it would really be a picture book.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What do the illustrations look like in your version, Mary? This Seabury version just is so...70/80ish. That's why it just sits on the shelf.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
What do the illustrations look like in your version, Mary?

They are really nice. I just fixed the link in the first post. It shows the cover. That is the style of illustration. The interior illustrations have about half of pictures color like that one, and half are black and white detailed pencil sketches.

Our Domestic Church

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm glad to know about this Fulton Sheen picture book!   

JennGM wrote:
I do have one other children's book by Bishop Sheen, but again, I think the text is a little heavy. It looks like a picture book, but reads like an adult book. The True Meaning of Christmas, illustrated by Fritz Kredel, McGraw-Hill, 1955. It looks like Roman Catholic Books reprinted recently.

We have the reprint of The True Meaning of Christmas. It's a lovely reprint. I would agree with you on the age assessment, Jenn. In fact, it makes a great addition to an older child/teen's Christmas reading. It's very accessible for that age, and there are some wonderful ideas in his little book to explore.

JennGM wrote:
I do have a Christmas picture book by Father Gerald Brennan, too....

Do share!!!!! I'm a huge fan of Father Brennan thanks to you!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

MaryM wrote:
I recently found this great little picture book written by Archbishop Fulton Sheen, illustrated by Rafaello Busoni.
Jesus, Son of Mary (1947,McMullen Co.)

Love the art cover

JennGM wrote:

I have this book, thanks for the memory prompt. Certainly way too old for children.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version