Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: New Christmas Books - Published 2011 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 19 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story by Sally Lloyd-Jones, paintings by Alison Jay.

This is a gorgeous book! the illustrations have the crackled paint look. All of the animals of the universe are abuzz with excitement because the Messiah is about to come. The word travels through all animals of every kind (even in the sea). The animals shout "It's Time!" "Get Ready" and ten use different titles used in the prophecies, like "The Mighty King! The Prince of Peace! The Bright Morning Star! The Good Shepherd! Light of the World!...etc.

Just wonderful! You feel the excitement as you turn every page. The book encapsulates the Advent longing!

We read this out loud a few nights ago, and the book gives me goose bumps. It really puts forward the expectation, the anticipation of the Messiah. Also what comes forward is that the Creator is coming down to earth. Man wasn't recognizing it, but all of creation was -- the animals were eagerly proclaiming that "It's time".

The sheep say "It's the Good Shepherd" -- anyone whose child is in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd will want to add this book.

Now, my youngest didn't understand the crackle of the paintings, which is funny, so I had to explain. The image of the small baby Jesus is SOOO beautiful!!!!

Maybe no one else will like as much as I do, but I think this this is a reverent and beautiful and inspiring book, with so many layers.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2011 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

After reading The Third Gift, we came across this article. It was so fun to hear the kids exclaim at knowing about the trees! They were disappointed to know they are in danger.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We just read The Carpenter's Gift for the first time and enjoyed it a lot! I was choked up a couple of times     Jim Lamarche is the illustrator!

Seems like lots more new Christmas books last year (2011), compared to this year.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:
Seems like lots more new Christmas books last year (2011), compared to this year.

Big time yes to that. Last year there were lots of new books including many treasures. This year the pickings are really slim...

There is another one from last year that didn't get mentioned. I happened on it late in the season or maybe even after. I remember being conflicted since it was purporting to tell the story of how the song "Jingle Bells" came to be - but pretty much makes up a back story to the creation of it. The basic facts - written by James Lord Pierpont in 1857. He was an organist at a church in Savannah, GA. But other than that the story is fiction.

Jingle Bells: How the Holiday Classic Came to Be

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version