Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Mary in May Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

marihalojen wrote:
Kristine,
Wow! What a wonderful garden you must have! I worked for years in a rural greenhouse and their gardens were always phenomenal - winners of Yard of the Week, etc... I wonder why???

Yeah, I wonder...??
Well, uh , I don't know about "wonderful" gardens here...with everything else we have going on, I think I can say the EFFORT is wonderful, but our gardens seem to evolve over time! (Hence the 2 years of plannng I mentioned above, which was mostly in my head!) The only drawback I can think of is that dh is growing everything on the farm that I want to grow at our HOUSE, in our backyard! Luckily, growing things is where his interests are and he doesn't mind also doing it at home after "work." On the farm he grows to sell and lots of the time I don't get a chance to be with him out in the strawberry fields or in the blackberry patch, so I don't get to see the growth, or cultivate the plants or harvest them on a regular basis...I'm too busy growing and harvesting our next crop of farm laborers!

marihalojen wrote:
But really, what else would one do with flats of plants that don't sell, right?

Exactly! Ours is no award-winning yard (that's my grandfather-in-law who lives next door ), but over the last 2 years I've "acquired" Mother's Day and birthday gifts from dh ranging from hanging baskets, shrubs, hostas, flowers, fall mums and somewhere around 10 rose bushes, all of which didn't sell but look great in my yard! I never intended to have a rose garden and now I love it!

I have no idea what our Rosary Garden will look like come mid-July... but I'm sure Our Lady will love it. (Although dh has joked that he's going to steal my statue and take it up to the farm and put it in the middle of any fields he's having trouble with, for an extra blessing! )

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

You ought to give your dh his own St Isidore statue so he'll leave your Blessed Virgin alone!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

marihalojen wrote:
You ought to give your dh his own St Isidore statue so he'll leave your Blessed Virgin alone!

Yes! Now where to find one?!!

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

I couldn't find St Isidore, but how about St Fiacre, patron of gardeners?
saints statues for the garden

My dh got me him years ago for an anniversary. I also have Our Lady of Guadalupe, St Joseph and St Francis after we lost our newborn Joseph Francis, and St Anne.
My son got me the Sacred Heart of Jesus this Christmas.
I have all of mine in the (plastic) granite look.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

In Alice's post at Cottage Blessings this morning she has described a beautiful craft for honoring Mary: Miniature May Altar.

I am so inspired and on my way to the craft store today to purchase the few necessary materials. I'd been looking for a rosary holder for my boys and this is *perfect* ...

Thank you, thank you, Alice!

And thank you everyone here for the wonderful ideas ~ I'm printing this thread out now!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 29 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

saintanneshs wrote:
After 2 years of planning and dreaming...

We're making a Rosary Garden with the symbolic flowers: Lily of the Valley, Pink and White Old-Fashioned Bleeding Hearts, Forget-Me-Nots, Yellow Perfection Violas and a few others. The plants came in the mail last week, so we've already planted them. Now we have to buy the rest of the small stepping stones (small beads) and make our large-bead cement markers. When we finish we'll have the dedication...a May Crowning in our new garden of devotion! Yea!

I this idea and think we have the place to do it, particularly if I put it off until next year. How will you make the markers, Kristine? That sounds like a great project for us to do next winter while we plan for our spring planting, looking to May for the dedication. I think I'll create the bed this fall and let it cook all winter, while we make the markers and maybe start some of the flowers inside...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dawn wrote:
In Alice's post at Cottage Blessings this morning she has described a beautiful craft for honoring Mary: Miniature May Altar.

Thank you, Dawn!

I was also thinking the craft could be adapted as a family Rosary holder by using a shelf with five or six pegs instead of the small one.

You are too kind!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Elizabeth wrote:
How will you make the markers, Kristine?

Elizabeth,
The bed is done, flowers are in and next Sunday (or the one after that) we will put the markers out (depending on dh's availability). Here's what we have and are planning:
We're using the small, square, brown/gray bricks (not the house-building kind or color) we found at Lowe's for the Hail Marys. The Our Fathers will be larger homemade cement circles with some engraving, maybe the prayer. The idea for making these came from the domestic church website. I'll have to look it up, but it's something like mix the cement, pour into a lined container, make imprints and allow to harden...I'll post directions when I find them. The Hail Holy Queen will be our largest marker with our dedication, date and family's handprints on it. Our rosary is an oval which finishes in the center. Instead of a crucifix, I have my statue of the Blessed Mother at the end, in the center, the path leading to her.

Now I'd like to ask your opinion on something I've been thinking about with this...

I was thinking maybe I'd place a statue of Jesus in the center of the Rosary garden and place my statue of Mary in another garden in our yard or maybe put both of them in there, side by side, but I'm not sure. Here's why I'm thinking this: We are surrounded by lots of non-Catholic Christians who don't understand our devotion to Mary, esp. dh's family and lots of our old school friends. All of them know we are Catholics and take our faith very seriously. All of them know we pray the rosary but don't get why we would be praying to Mary instead of Jesus, not getting that we can pray to Jesus through His Mother. Most of them have probably never even heard of "intercession"... I was thinking that this garden would be a great chance for us to enlighten our friends/family about the rosary. I'm sure they'll see Jesus in the center and wonder (knowing that we say the rosary to ask for Our Lady's help) and ask why HE'S there and not her, ending up in a discussion of how "Jesus is at the center of the Rosary, every prayer, for without him...and Our Lady is special because..." Anyway, I was thinking this might be a nice chance to explain a few things to them (even if they reject them) with the off-chance that our faith might be appreciated by others just a bit more. Now, will I be offending Mary if I don't put her statue at the center of HER Rosary Garden? I guess the best thing would be to put them both in there together...

Why, oh why, do I think so hard about these things?!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Here's the directions from domestic-church.com:
Rosary Garden Markers

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 02 2006 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I don't think you can offend Mary by witnessing for Jesus! I like your logic. I can't wait to see pictures!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here are my Mary thoughts, cut and pasted from the Mary Notebook thread and then expanded.

This project has really slipped since this pregnancy began. Now I'm trying to decide what to do for May and what to save for later. I know we'll go to the Basilica for Christmas, so maybe we'll table the notebooks until fall and then pick them up again and try to finish before Christmas. And then we'll do those ornaments in the Our Lady of Guadalupe thread and make a Mary tree right now, using lots of the names of Mary. I thought about saving those for advent, but a Jesse tree, a Mary tree and a Christmas tree might be a bit much.

OTOH, Mary Beth wants to do all the crafts Alice has posted lately...

Then, Kim and I were talking about making a Marian crown, kind of like the salt dough crown of thorns (which we didn't do for Lent for the first time ever). Instead of breaking off a toothpick for a good deed, the children would add a flower to the wreath. The Paschal candle could go in the center and it could remain on the table until Advent. Next year, I'll do this with the bare crown of thorns. In previous years, we've decorated that bare crown on Holy Saturday with flowers, but I really like Kim's idea to make the flowers be offerings too.

And then there is this link, full of other links to overwhelm--I mean inspire-- me! Do we just do nothing but gardening and Marian crafts for the next month??

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:
   Do we just do nothing but gardening and Marian crafts for the next month??

This is starting to sound really good to me! We may keep up with math but otherwise this is all we are going to do.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Rebecca wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
   Do we just do nothing but gardening and Marian crafts for the next month??

This is starting to sound really good to me! We may keep up with math but otherwise this is all we are going to do.

I'm with you Rebecca ~ math, summer science, and Marian notebooks and that's it. Toss in Melissa's books and we're done.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Elizabeth wrote:
Then, Kim and I were talking about making a Marian crown... Instead of breaking off a toothpick for a good deed, the children would add a flower to the wreath. ... but I really like Kim's idea to make the flowers be offerings too.

This could also be adapted to be a big picture of Mary on poster board - and use flower stickers as the offerings for good deeds. The stickers are placed around her picture. You would end up with a sticker wreath around the Marian picture representing all those offerings. We did that one year and it really was pretty.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Then, Kim and I were talking about making a Marian crown... Instead of breaking off a toothpick for a good deed, the children would add a flower to the wreath. ... but I really like Kim's idea to make the flowers be offerings too.

This could also be adapted to be a big picture of Mary on poster board - and use flower stickers as the offerings for good deeds. The stickers are placed around her picture. You would end up with a sticker wreath around the Marian picture representing all those offerings. We did that one year and it really was pretty.

Ever watch "Trading Spaces"? I used to watch a few episodes. One that sticks in my mind is the designer Hildy STAPLES artificial flowers all over one wall in a bathroom, so it was artificial flower wallpaper of sorts. A carpet of flowers!

That's what this idea is reminding me of....sticking in the flowers. I love the idea. Use a floral foam or styrofoam wreath form and stick in the flowers.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

That's what this idea is reminding me of....sticking in the flowers. I love the idea. Use a floral foam or styrofoam wreath form and stick in the flowers.

Or a thick foam board poster on the wall and you could staple the flowers on like Hildy.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Or a thick foam board poster on the wall and you could staple the flowers on like Hildy.

Let me clarify: I don't like Hildy's application--I would never do that to a wall or as decor, but I like THIS idea for Mary for an object or posterboard.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2006 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

May is not quite over yet!

Thanks to Mary M's suggestion earlier this month on this very thread, Marianna and I had a wonderful time constructing a Tower of Ivory, inspired by the Litany of Loreto, by constructing a tower from bars of Ivory soap.

We are very pleased with the final results, and the project was very simple, yet very fulfilling. As the candle atop our tower is burning tonight, the drippings are cascading down the sides and we simply cannot stop hovering over our Marian corner! I thought I'd mention this activity as a great wrap-up for the month of May.

This has been an amazing month, and I have all the wonderful families here on the 4 Real Learning Boards to thank for inspiration!   

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this old thread, since we started the Month of May yesterday! Always timely, aren't I?

all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 04 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote all for God

Great thread!    Thanks for bumping it Jennifer!

I have a number of Marian crafts on my blog if anyone's interested:
Click here for a complete list with pics.

I just love May and all the wonderful Marian celebrations. My daughters and I have big plans for this month!
God Bless!

all=
Catholic Inspired ~Arts, crafts & more
Back to Top View all for God's Profile Search for other posts by all for God Visit all for God's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version