Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Strega Nona's Gift Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Strega Nona's Gift by Tomie DePaola

I just checked this out from the library -- I'm going to save it for Advent, but had to give it a -- two thumbs up.

This is quite a treasure because it incorporate all the feasts and traditions of the Advent and Christmas seasons. It doesn't go into huge detail, but it's almost like a Book of Days for the little town in Italy:
San Nicola, St. Nicholas, Dec. 6
Santa Luca, St. Lucy, Dec. 13
La Vigila, Christmas Eve, Dec. 24
San Silvestro, St. Sylvester, New Year's Eve, Dec. 31
Eve of Epifania, Eve of the Epiphany, Jan. 5
Epifania, Epiphany, Jan. 6

The story is a reflection of the cultural customs, which applies the Catholic feast days and each has food and other traditions for each feast. Some traditions are a bit superstitious, like wearing red underwear, and eating something for good luck.

But the retelling is so beautiful and wonderful to share. The little gift happens on the Eve of the Epiphany, and Big Anthony gets himself into a mess again -- but makes a wonderful retribution at the end.

A delightful sory, and wonderful illustration of Catholic feasts and customs. The back page has a list of all the feasts listed with a short explanation of the day and the traditions.

Again, couldn't rave more!!!!!!! Can't wait to add this to our Advent/Christmas reading. If I had to peg the book to a certain date, I think I would read it around January 5, before Epiphany. But I also think it would be a great introduction book to Advent -- laying the foundation of what is to come through the next two liturgical seasons.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Oh- so glad to hear that. I bought it without seeing it first during the presale. My library has very limited de Paola books and a very low budget for buying new buys of any kind. Mine is in an unopened box right now on my desk.

Sounds like a good one!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Cool, cool, cool...can't wait to get a copy now. They are on order with our library system. Thanks, Jenn.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I'm already thinking Advent. I'm so glad you posted about it   

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2011 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just read it this weekend. What a great book for Italian Christmas traditions. Will be fun to do them along with the season.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version