Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Bird Migration Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I can't believe we don't have a thread dedicated to this topic yet! I didn't find one in a quick search, though it does get some mentions in threads. I'd love to share some enjoyable resources for learning about bird migration!!

Movies
Fly Away Home - rated PG. I would agree with the common sense rating of ok for 8+ yo, but AS ALWAYS, encourage previewing this movie if you're unsure before you show it to your children. Do be aware that there is a scene in which Amy (Anna Paquin) gets a nose ring. This is a fantastic movie that shows how a small flock of orphaned Canadian geese are adopted by Amy (who is hurting after the recent death of her mom), and how she and her dad and close friends/family work to help their little flock migrate south. It's touching and one of our all time favorite movies.

Documentaries
Winged Migration - very little narrative in this - beautiful cinematography!!!! See book below that accompanies it.

Books
On the Wing: American Birds in Migration by Carol Lerner. Explores 30 birds and their migration patterns. Stunning illustrations as are all Carol Lerner books.

How Do Birds Find Their Way? by Roma Gans. We love this series of science picture books and this is a favorite fall read here.

The Peregrine's Journey: A Story of Migration by Madeleine Dunphy

The Man Who Flies With Birds by Carole Vogel

Flight of the Golden Plover: the Amazing Migration between Hawaii and Alaska by Debbie Miller

Red Knot: A Shorebirds Incredible Journey by Nancy Willis

The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon by Jaqueline Davies

Winged Migration by Guillaume Poyet

Welcome Brown Bird by Mary Lyn Ray

The Flight of the Snow Geese by Deborah King

Late Little Robin by Howard Goldsmith

Ride the Wind: Airborne Migrations of Animals and Plants by Seymour Simon

Skylar by Mary Cuffe Perez

Ookpik: The Travels of a Snowy Owl by Bruce Hiscock

Other opportunities to learn about migration
Journey North/South - So many wonderful resources on studying wildlife migration including opportunities to report sightings where you live as part of contributing citizen science.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'd love it if you would add other resources and personal favorites to flesh this out more!

We are always amazed at the time of hummingbird migration - we can see hundreds and hundreds of hummingbirds each day when they migrate through our way.

Oh dear - forgot some other books!!

Soon After September by Glenn Blough - discusses many aspects of the seasonal changes that take place "soon after September". He touches on bird migration in a nice way.

Bird Watchers and Bird Feeders by Glenn Blough - discusses bird migration and I so enjoy each section detailing birds that might be seen in each different season.

Backyard Birds of Winter by Carol Lerner

Backyard Birds of Summer by Carol Lerner

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

THANK YOU for this amazing resource, Jen!! Amazing. It's a little late for migration here in NH, but I'll be looking for this come next fall (or maybe even in the spring when they are on their way back).

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh my gracious, Jen! This is a fav topic of mine. I do in fact have a blog post skeleton from several years ago when we did this topic in-depth. I j..u..s..t..never got is together to post or include here.   I'll have to go back and see if I have anything on my list that wasn't included above. Yours is VERY thorough and I recognize most everything, so not sure I'll have anything to add. Speaking of which you mentioned Welcome Brown Bird - that is one I was thinking might have a bird call (thrush) in the text, but I couldn't remember. I requested it to check but if you have a copy there, you could find out. Must not have or you probably would have that one already.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

This is my working list, Mary, so I don't have all of these yet, and I'm excited to see if Welcome Brown Bird has bird sounds in it. Just wanted to share my list so others could add to it. I'm pretty sure Late Little Robin has bird sounds in it, so that's one I may be able to add to the Bird Sounds Picture Book thread.

MaryM wrote:
I'll have to go back and see if I have anything on my list that wasn't included above.

Oh, I'd love that! I'd be willing to bet a load of VIRTUAL CASH-OLA that you've got more resources on your list! I can't wait to see additions from you and others here! I hope we can build on this each migration season!

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

We love Fly Away Home.
Here is a link to the real story behind the film.
I haven't read the books, Father Goose and Father Goose & His Gooslings by William Lishman; but they are on my list for this topic.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:
Movies
Fly Away Home - rated PG. I would agree with the common sense rating of ok for 8+ yo, but AS ALWAYS, encourage previewing this movie if you're unsure before you show it to your children. Do be aware that there is a scene in which Amy (Anna Paquin) gets a nose ring. This is a fantastic movie that shows how a small flock of orphaned Canadian geese are adopted by Amy (who is hurting after the recent death of her mom), and how she and her dad and close friends/family work to help their little flock migrate south. It's touching and one of our all time favorite movies.

Grace&Chaos wrote:
We love Fly Away Home.
Here is a link to the real story behind the film.
I haven't read the books, Father Goose and Father Goose & His Gooslings by William Lishman; but they are on my list for this topic.

Thank you so much for linking that fantastic background information, Jenny! We've been having a marvelous time following this rabbit trail today and now I have more resources to add to our thread!

Picture Book
Father Goose and His Goslings by Bill Lishman, the man whose story inspired the film, Fly Away Home.

Documentary
We also found another video, which is only available as a used VHS (check your library for a copy), C'Mon Geese. (More about this short documentary here)

Other online resources based on Bill's current work with migratory birds
Operation Migration is Bill's current and ongoing project and there are some great migration videos to view on the site!

In case you're on Twitter, you can follow Operation Migration. They post updates when they're moving/migrating with the birds.

They're migrating whooping cranes right now - check out the 2011 Migration flyover! I'm excited seeing all the stops that are near us! Looks like they're in Marquette, Wisconsin today (10/26/11), but haven't left yet due to blustery conditions! How exciting would it be to see them??!!!

If you can't get out to see them, you might want to check them out here - they're live streaming the flight through Wild Earth!

What a fantastic rabbit trail that has us all excited here!!!!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I realize I'm serial posting (monologuing) on my own thread, but....

...this is a fantastic youtube video (about 6 1/2 min. long) that gives the background for Operation Migration, as well as a little on the Whooping Crane. Great footage and history with some videos of how they do the actual imprinting which allows them to undertake this effort!

This afternoon, we've taken the 2011 migration flyover detailing all the stops and marked the stops and their route through our state so we'll be ready when they fly near us. We're seriously thinking about going to one of the departure sights!! It will just depend on their timing, which is totally dependent upon weather.

The 10 birds of this migration class (now down to 9, one is missing - hope she makes it back to the group!) are traveling through Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and their final stop is a nature preserve in central/west coast Florida.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Great site illustrating migration patterns of different birds across the world. Very interesting!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wanted to add that Journey North (or Journey South in the fall) website focuses on changes that we see in our natural world as the seasons change. Many of us here have done the Sunlight Mystery Class but they also have classes that follow migration of various animals. For the birds they track Whooping Cranes, Robins, Hummingbirds. Here is what is happening this fall with cranes. It's alreay underway - and nearing completion, but I suggest doing the whole migration study in the spring or next fall.

Hummingbird Migration - Spring and Fall
Whooping Cranes - Fall and Spring
American Robins - Spring

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:

Other online resources based on Bill's current work with migratory birds
Operation Migration is Bill's current and ongoing project and there are some great migration videos to view on the site!

In case you're on Twitter, you can follow Operation Migration. They post updates when they're moving/migrating with the birds.

They're migrating whooping cranes right now - check out the 2011 Migration flyover! I'm excited seeing all the stops that are near us! Looks like they're in Marquette, Wisconsin today (10/26/11), but haven't left yet due to blustery conditions! How exciting would it be to see them??!!!

If you can't get out to see them, you might want to check them out here - they're live streaming the flight through Wild Earth!

MaryM wrote:
Here is what is happening this fall with cranes. It's alreay underway - and nearing completion, but I suggest doing the whole migration study in the spring or next fall.

Journey South is actually following and chronicling the whooping bird migration that Bill's Operation Migration is undertaking right now. Same group of birds migrating! Journey South sends out a weekly summary of their flights. You can read more details here at Operation Migration's In the Field Journal.

We watched the 3rd leg of their migration this morning streaming on UStream. It was fantastic to see the ultralights and then to all of a sudden see the whooping cranes fly up next to them. They're still *learning* to fly WITH the ultralights!    They had 8 of the 10 birds flying with them this morning. This is an important skill (obviously) in migrating. Unfortunately, they lost bird #2 (a female) at the beginning of the journey and still haven't found her.

On the UStream site, there is live *chat* ongoing during the flight. I could do without some of the commentary, but there are a couple of Operation Migration contributors that give more details about what is going on, the personalities of some of the birds (apparently #6 DOES NOT LIKE to fly over water! ), and tell us more of what is happening during the flight. They explained some neat things about thermals today. The kids and I are rivetted!!!! We have their flight mapped out, and watch them fly in the mornings while we eat breakfast!    Since it streams live it would be hard for those watching on the west coast.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Well, if I would have thought about it I think I knew they were following the same group of birds. Is there a chance of you guys seeing them as they get further south? They look like they do fly over your area. You will have to try to see them. Got some other ideas for migration field trips to post soon.

Our Domestic Church

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
Is there a chance of you guys seeing them as they get further south? They look like they do fly over your area. You will have to try to see them.

Yes - we hope too...it will just depend on their timing and whether we're here or not. They'll be flying just to the west of us, so it wouldn't be far to go see them. Their timing is so dependent on weather, and of course stragglers.

We are so enjoying following their story, getting to know them, and tracking them down the US to Florida.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

So I found my migration study notes and have transferred them as reviews of the books Jen listed. Then there are a couple that I've added that weren't on the list. Those are after.

On the Wing: American Birds in migration - Covers a variety of types of birds. Has excellent illustrations and includes migration maps for each bird discussed. It is really thorough and has great explanations of how changing diet affects migration, flight patterns, non-stop flights vs. stop overs. Theories about their migration journey timing are discussed. Also has bird banding station facts. In my notes it looks like I gave it 5 s.

Welcome Brown Bird - Sotry of two boys living on different parts of the continent but joined by their love of the wood thrush who spends a different half of the year with each. It is very sweet. The boys anticipate and welcome the thrush each year at its return. Author’s notes give much migration information. Very much a picture book approach to the topic.

Ride the Wind - Explores the travels of several winded creatures who migrate. It covers birds (Arctic tern, Snow Goose, Golden Plover, Swallow) and insects (Monarch, Locust) and mammals (bats) as well as the travels of seeds which isn't really migration but dispersal. Lovely look at the wind - author's notes include theories of migration and direction.

How Do Birds Find Their Way? - A very informative "Let's Read and Find Out Science" book. Nice basic coverage of migration of birds. Includes theories of the past as well as the present in regards to how birds know when and where to go.

Winged Migration Really engaging oversized book. Each two page spread covers one species of bird and explores the migratory journey for that bird. There are 15 species covered – only a couple are in North America so it is pretty worldwide in its scope. Has a CD that comes with it, but the order of the birds covered is not the same as the book – you have to skip around.

Flight of the Golden Plover - Tells the specific migration story of this bird that travels between Hawaii and Alaska, flying non-stop for 6000 miles or more. Nice information about the habitats and environments of the two diverse homes.

Red Knot: A Shorebird's Incredible Journey - Author notes include details and stats about the Red Knot. Text follows its amazing 20,000 round trip migration. Told diary style following the journey day to day. Includes experience of being caught and banded at a banding station (from the bird's point of view).

Ookpik - Tells the story of a snowy owl's life from birth through migration with lots of information about habitats and characteristics for the budding naturalist. Includes vivid watercolor illustrations and extensive author's notes.

The Peregrine's Journey: A Story of Migration came out after our study so while I’ve seen it I don’t have notes on it. I recall it being good and covers a raptor which is different than many of hte other books.

The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon is such a lovely picture book biography. We didn’t include it in the migration study but I should have.

The Flight of the Snow Geese - not sure, think I have read it but don’t have a record. Cover illustration is beautiful isn’t it?

Here are the books I'm adding to the list:
This Way Home (Lisa Peters) - Through a series of delicate muted drawings, the book follows the travels of a flock of birds on their migration journey. It indicates in various places in the text how birds navigate - examples: sun, stars, magnetic field (which it refers to as the 3 bird compasses). The authors' notes are great. She indicated she wanted to find a common North American bird that best demonstrated the "Map-and-compass" theory of migration. Chose the Savannah Sparrow. It is fascinating.

Looking for Loons (Jennifer Lloyd) - This is a transition to autumn story and a story of waiting. A young boy experiences the changes of the coming fall around him as we waits one morning for the appearance of the migrating loons.

Luck (Jean Craighead George) – True picture book style story of a young bird (Sandhill Crane) who a girl frees from entanglement. It covers his flight to get back to its flock in Siberia, then the return to the original marsh. It is really well done with amazing illustrations by Wendall Minor. Interweaves the story with situations where you can see the different ways the bird is navigating. Jen, you will appreciate the actual phonetic call in the text "KHARRRR!" "Crackrrrr!"

Flute's Journey: The Life of a Wood Thrush (Lynne Cherry) - This picture book covers the same species of bird that is in Welcome Brown Bird above which travels between Central America and the eastern US. So I think they would be good to read together. Starts with the hatching of the new little thrush and his fledging and then migration south before returning in the spring. It really focuses a lot on the variety of dangers that threaten the bird along the way (and those that threaten them while nesting – several eggs and baby birds are lost/die) so sensitive kiddos may not like it. It also covers environmental issues that are threatening the birds as well.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is something I HIGHLY recommend trying to do if possible when you are studying migration. We have visited local bird banding stations in both spring and fall. It’s been a few years since our last visit so should go again. It is a really neat experience and a great way to learn about how naturalists track and learn about birds through banding. You even get to see birds up close and personal. Our kids have gotten to release the birds sometimes. Trained bird banders set up mist nets in areas where the birds might be looking for food. They check nets every thirty minutes and place any birds that have been caught into individual cloth bags (to keep them calm and protected). They then check and record weight, wing length, body fat percentage, and band them or record # if they are already banded. With the collective data much can be learned about the bird species traveling through or living in a particular area. Check in your local area for bird banding stationed open to visitors.

Check before trips if you might be traveling through areas with stations. A few years ago we stopped at a birds of prey migration count & banding station in Wyoming. Unfortunately no birds were caught that day, but we did get to participate in the counts they were doing of overhead raptors. Pretty cool experience.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is an idea for an art project. Make bird silhouettes out of maps. Not sure if the map used in this photo actually corresponds to the area of flight. but it would be cool to do that - find a map (or print one out) of the area over which the bird migrates and use that. Or could find an overhead view photo of some area where migrating birds fly over and use that as the paper for the silhouette.

Our Domestic Church

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I have a couple of pictures of hummingbird banding on my blog. The bands they use are so tiny, it was amazing that the banders could even *see* them, let along attach them to the bird's foot... especially in the presence of the massive wet crowd smushed in the tent at the time. I was impressed.

When we were in New York, we also regularly attended a spring hawk watch to see migrating hawks coming back into summer breeding grounds. On the Hawk Migration Association's home page, you can find a list of hawkwatch sites in your state or province. (It's a tab at the top.)

If you live in the mid Mississippi River Valley (or will be traveling there) in the winter, you can watch bald eagles who migrate further south for open water. We did this one year when we lived in St. Louis, and it is AMAZING. The eagles gather at the locks on the river to fish. Seeing 20 or 30 bald eagles at one time is a sight you want to see!!!

Another bird that migrates up the Mississippi is the white pelican. Also amazing to see flocks of these birds.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2011 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is another migration activity I found (from TLC):

Try this birds' migration route activity to learn about a bird's pattern of flight.

Materials:
Reference book
Globe or world map
Rubber cement
Different colored yarn

Migratory birds fly thousands of miles every year. At the library, check out a book about migratory birds. See if your home is on the migration path of any birds. (If it is, watch for them at the times of the year when they migrate.)

Then, on a globe or world map, mark the migration paths of some birds. Use rubber cement or other temporary adhesive to attach a piece of yarn to each bird's starting place. Attach the other end of the yarn to the bird's summer home. Use different colors of yarn for different birds.

-------------------------

Also just got the book - Atlas of Bird Migration, just published this summer. Really informative. Covers birds from throughout the world. Each spread has lots of details about the bird along with great maps. It is not a children's book, but could be used as a reference for all ages. It also includes "hot spots" for migration viewing. One is the Dauphin Island in Alabama. Have you ever gone there, Jen? Sounds like a field trip (though not a day trip, huh...)

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Migration Poetry

The Last Word of a Blue Bird by Robert Frost
As told to a child

As I went out a Crow
In a low voice said, 'Oh,
I was looking for you.
How do you do?
I just came to tell you
To tell Lesley (will you?)
That her little Bluebird
Wanted me to bring word
That the north wind last night
That made the stars bright
And made ice on the trough
Almost made him cough
His tail feathers off.
He just had to fly!
But he sent her Good-by,
And said to be good,
And wear her red hood,
And look for the skunk tracks
In the snow with an ax-
And do everything!
And perhaps in the spring
He would come back and sing.'

Wild Geese by Elinor Chipp

I heard the wild geese flying
IN the dead of the night,
With beat of wings and crying
And dreams in my heart sighing
Followed their northward flight.
In the dead of the night.

The Flight of the Geese by Sir Charles George Douglas Roberts

I HEAR the low wind wash the softening snow,     
The low tide loiter down the shore. The night,     
Full filled with April forecast, hath no light.     
The salt wave on the sedge-flat pulses slow.     
Through the hid furrows lisp in murmurous flow         
The thaw’s shy ministers; and hark! The height     
Of heaven grows weird and loud with unseen flight     
Of strong hosts prophesying as they go!     
High through the drenched and hollow night their wings     
Beat northward hard on winter’s trail. The sound
Of their confused and solemn voices, borne     
Athwart the dark to their long arctic morn,     
Comes with a sanction and an awe profound,     
A boding of unknown, foreshadowed things.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A little migration humor from Far Side's Gary Larsen:

And
PBSkids online game - Migration Adventure

Our Domestic Church

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version