Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Lucy books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I know we have a list around somewhere for St. Lucy. I have been pouring through old threads to find recs to no avail.

My dd LOVES St. Lucy, and we have only one book about her. I wanted to pick up another one for Advent this year. Any suggestions?

why can't I find that old thread....

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SeaStar wrote:
why can't I find that old thread....

Did you search "lucia"? - I think many of her threads are under that title.

St. Lucia book?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks, Mary- that was the problem. Looks like the market is slim for dear St. Lucy.   

Hanna's Christmas is OOP very expensive now.

And if you search for St. Lucy/Lucia on Amazon, you get some very interesting images (lots of bodice-ripping type books ).
Don't search with your dc in the room

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Is the Lucia: Saint of Light book the one book you have then, Melinda?

It's one of our FAVORITE Advent reads! I have Hanna's Christmas, it's quite sweet. Every now and then you can catch it on a saved search at ebay - you might try that. Might not be able to find it for this Advent - but maybe next?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SeaStar wrote:
Looks like the market is slim for dear St. Lucy.   

Yeah, if you're not St. Francis, you're lucky if you have more than a couple picture books.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 3:50am | IP Logged Quote Erin

SeaStar wrote:
Thanks, Mary- that was the problem. Looks like the market is slim for dear St. Lucy.   

I've found the same myself

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Mackfam wrote:
Is the Lucia: Saint of Light book the one book you have then, Melinda?

It's one of our FAVORITE Advent reads! I have Hanna's Christmas, it's quite sweet. Every now and then you can catch it on a saved search at ebay - you might try that. Might not be able to find it for this Advent - but maybe next?

I have Lucia Morning in Sweden
which is a very sweet book but does not focus much on the saint.

Looks like I need to order Lucia Saint of Light before the price goes any higher

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

You're right, Melinda, the pickings are VERY slim. My son was born on her feast day, so I try to keep looking.

I had put the St. Lucia / St. Lucy books that we have in a blog post, but a summary:

• Lucia, Saint of Light, which now runs the top of our Lucia book list. This story includes both the life of St. Lucia and the Swedish traditions of the Lucia bride. This link will bring you to my review. This book goes on the top of my list to really give the essence of the saint and the tradition.

•      
  • Lucia: Child of Light by Florence Ekstrand. The history and tradition of Sweden's Lucia celebration. Includes recipes, songs, and other traditions related to this Swedish celebration.

•      
  • Lucia Morning in Sweden by Ewa Rydaker, with illustrations by Carina Stahlberg. A living story about Lucia Morning traditions in Sweden, but also includes recipes, music, and patterns for a Starboy and Lucia gown. It is now out of print.

•      
  • Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story by Janet Shaw, from The American Girls' Collection. A wonderful story about Kirsten and her first Christmas in Minnesota and her struggle to make her Christmas similar to ones in Sweden, including her Lucia Morning. The companion cookbook Kirsten's Cook Bookincludes a recipe for St. Lucia Buns.[/il]

• If you're blessed to own a copy, or your library has one, Hanna's Christmas by Melissa Wiley Peterson is wonderful perfect for this feast day. This is a more secular reading, of a girl who moves to the United States and misses the Swedish customs for St. Lucia. A Tomten also plays his mischief. See What We'll Be Reading and Hanna and Me.

• __________________
    Jennifer G. Miller
    Wife to & ds1 '03 & ds2 '07
    Family in Feast and Feria
    Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SarahCD
    Forum Rookie
    Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote SarahCD

Melinda,

One of my girls St. Lucy, too! It is her nameday, and my baby boy was born on that day ~ my own star boy =) It is always a special day around here!

But you are right, there are not many books about her. Jenn's list is wonderful! I wish all of them were readily available! We have Lucia, Saint of Light, and it is lovely!! We also have Lucia Morning in Sweden. And I agree that Kirsten's Surprise is a good read and can even be read alone, separate from the series. (That's what we do anyway, for now ... I'm sure we'll read the entire series eventually )

I was recently at my local Catholic bookstore, and I did stumble upon a little paperback book Saint Lucy. I am tucking it away as a surprise for this year.

Blessings,
    Sarah
    Back to Top View SarahCD's Profile Search for other posts by SarahCD

SuzanneG
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Lucia Morning in Sweden is a nice book....great illustrations....NOTHING religious, but a great book. I don't own it yet, but it's on my wish list. Our Scandinavian stores have had it for the past several years....didn't know it was OOP.

We read Kirstin's Surprise EVERY YEAR and my girls LOVE IT!

I bought Lucia, Saint of Light last year after getting it from the library for a couple years.

Also, has anyone read City of the Golden House by Madeleine Polland? There are references to St. Lucia in here that were neat.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have another book that covers St. Lucia's Day celebrated in America -- Elin's Amerika by Marguerite de Angeli. This is the story of Elin, who came to live in the Swedish colony in the 1600s in America. The end has a delightful rendition of Lucia Dagen, plus the Christmas celebration. The illustrations, especially of Elin as the Lucia Bride are just stunning and so worth it!

So it's indirectly about St. Lucy, but about the Santa Lucia traditions from Sweden.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
    Board Moderator
    Board Moderator
    Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I found another story of St. Lucy as I was finishing up our Advent plans.

Heroines of Christ edited by Joseph Husslein is a compilation of many different narrative stories on female saints. There is a story on St. Lucy:

The Maid that Conquered - Lucy - by Francis Anglim

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JennGM wrote:
    I have another book that covers St. Lucia's Day celebrated in America -- Elin's Amerika by Marguerite de Angeli. This is the story of Elin, who came to live in the Swedish colony in the 1600s in America. The end has a delightful rendition of Lucia Dagen, plus the Christmas celebration. The illustrations, especially of Elin as the Lucia Bride are just stunning and so worth it!

OK, not that I ever DOUBTED a de Angeli book would be amazing, but this one is SO WONDERFUL! I only got through the first 2 chapters and now my girls are fighting over it, which I'm kinda MAD about (but in a good way for a change ) because I really wanted it to be a read aloud this year, but they are totally loving it!

Adding this one to the Advent for a strong reader thread because this thread would NOT be complete without that book listed!

In a perfect world you could start this book the beginning of November, calculating the number of pages per week, so that you could end up AT the Lucia celebration the week of the 13th!!!!!!!! Doesn't that just make all of you >>>>swoon<<< ??????                                

And, the third edition, which was published by the American Swedish History Museum in 2007 has delicious thick pages on that rough paper...whatever you call it. can't remember right now. but it's nice!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Suzanne, thanks for the marvelous review!!! I like that reading plan! Isn't that illustration of the Lucia Bride just GORGEOUS??????

Glad to hear the reprint is great quality, too.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
    If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
    Printable version Printable version