Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Masterly Inactivity--lets talk! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:

I do think Masterly Inactivity is upside down approach compared to a unit study or a "hands-on" project approach to learning.

I like this description. I would not criticize anyone using a unit study approach, but to me, unit studies keep ideas apart and separate and categorized whereas Masterly Inactivity connects and weaves things together into what will be a tapestry of education.

It is not so much that I think unit studies are "bad," but I feel that I don't have time to do them while still allowing the time and resources for Masterly Inactivity.

I agree with Jen that Masterly Inactivity seems to embrace the aspects of Unschooling philosophy that I like while still allowing for more structure and formality in other areas, which I also like.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
Montessori's vehicles in the older age groups can still be very useful to me, but it's CM's methods and philosophy that really begins to sing (to me!).

To switch gears just a bit, I was thinking about that last statement. I'm generally not a person that jumps on a bandwagon. I'm not a joiner. I pick and choose what rings true, that reflects the natural law and my Catholic Faith. Usually I'm attracted to something more traditional and tried and true. And when I am drawn in by something, I usually pick and choose and tweak to make it mine.

Charlotte Mason is a bit "newer", and overlaps in time a bit with John Dewey and Maria Montessori and others. Many of Montessori's writings and findings have been attractive to me. John Dewey IMHO was a menace to our society and such a detriment to modern education. But Charlotte Mason's writings ring true to me; they completely "sing to me", and I haven't come across an area where I disagree. What she observed is exactly what I observe in my children. Implementing her approach in our school, albeit imperfectly and incompletely still has reaped huge rewards and results -- the same ones CM observed.

I'm always leary of "latest greatest" newer ideas. What makes it right to me is when I find those common factors, those that underline the natural and moral laws, that understand the whole human person -- soul and human nature -- and has no conflict with my faith.

So what I'm taking a long way of saying, when I find commonality, crossing over of methods or philosophies, like Montessori and Charlotte Mason, it means that there are more universally true elements in both their philosophies. It helps me see even more clearly that the path I've chosen is true, good, and beautiful for our family.

But in a small sense it also helps me see that the Mystical Body is varied, and while universality exists, there is also a need for individuality, and other philosophies may exist and be exercised and still be good and true and beautiful.

Sorry to digress....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
when I find commonality, crossing over of methods or philosophies, like Montessori and Charlotte Mason, it means that there are more universally true elements in both their philosophies. It helps me see even more clearly that the path I've chosen is true, good, and beautiful for our family.

But in a small sense it also helps me see that the Mystical Body is varied, and while universality exists, there is also a need for individuality, and other philosophies may exist and be exercised and still be good and true and beautiful.

Sorry to digress....

I liked your thoughts, Jenn. It enunciates well what I was trying to say here:
Mackfam wrote:
CM and Montessori mesh and intertwine so well around this topic and for this age, and I think that's less a reflection of anything specifically CM or Montessori, and more a reflection of the universality of the methods, the true-ness of the ideas, the open secret which CM speaks of.

And as it relates to Masterly Inactivity, it's perhaps even more pertinent. Masterly Inactivity is a name, and nothing more, and it helps to see how CM provided a few boundaries for this wise and purposeful letting alone to flourish within, but I don't think anything stellar or out-of-this world has been shared here. This is really common sense stuff. I like ideas that find their origin in common sense because practically speaking, I can lay those ideas out in the day better. They make sense!

Even CM pointed out that the ideas which she proposed weren't hers to own or necessarily hers by way of authoring, they were authored by the Divine Author. After years of observing the child as person, and working with the child, she put words to ideas and inspired many in the relating of the ideas, and I think that's why she called it an "open secret".

CM, Vol 6, p. 28 - 29 wrote:
Here on the very surface is the key to that attention, interest, literary style, wide vocabulary, love of books and readiness in speaking, which we all feel should belong to an education that is only begun at school and continued throughout life; these are the things that we all desire, and how to obtain them is some part of the open secret I am labouring to disclose 'for public use.'

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
JennGM wrote:
when I find commonality, crossing over of methods or philosophies, like Montessori and Charlotte Mason, it means that there are more universally true elements in both their philosophies. It helps me see even more clearly that the path I've chosen is true, good, and beautiful for our family.

Sorry to digress....

I liked your thoughts, Jenn. It enunciates well what I was trying to say here:
Mackfam wrote:
CM and Montessori mesh and intertwine so well around this topic and for this age, and I think that's less a reflection of anything specifically CM or Montessori, and more a reflection of the universality of the methods, the true-ness of the ideas, the open secret which CM speaks of.

Yes, forgive me to belabor the point already made!

MackFarm wrote:
And as it relates to Masterly Inactivity, it's perhaps even more pertinent. Masterly Inactivity is a name, and nothing more, and it helps to see how CM provided a few boundaries for this wise and purposeful letting alone to flourish within, but I don't think anything stellar or out-of-this world has been shared here. This is really common sense stuff. I like ideas that find their origin in common sense because practically speaking, I can lay those ideas out in the day better. They make sense!

Even CM pointed out that the ideas which she proposed weren't hers to own or necessarily hers by way of authoring, they were authored by the Divine Author. After years of observing the child as person, and working with the child, she put words to ideas and inspired many in the relating of the ideas, and I think that's why she called it an "open secret".

CM, Vol 6, p. 28 - 29 wrote:
Here on the very surface is the key to that attention, interest, literary style, wide vocabulary, love of books and readiness in speaking, which we all feel should belong to an education that is only begun at school and continued throughout life; these are the things that we all desire, and how to obtain them is some part of the open secret I am labouring to disclose 'for public use.'

Oh, thank you for that "Open Secret" point! Beautiful! Common sense --- yes, that's what it is. CM just enunciated and pointed all that was already there!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JodieLyn wrote:
a question...

Does there HAVE to be some sort of written record or something that you can show other people with this type of learning for it to be considered valid?

I think the only point to narration and note-booking is that the ideas become part of us.

This can be done formally or informally. I think that most people naturally do this to this. I know my poor dh has often had to sit through my "narration's" when I have made some new discovery in knitting or cm's methods!!!!   

Another important point is that CM doesn't intend us to "take notes" like we think of taking notes on a college lecture on all that we read or do. She only wants us to jot down reminders or inspirations to help us jog our memory. For instance in a Century Chart it's not intended to have everything that is possibly known included. You are only to included the most important things and then hinge other facts onto that one.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Thanks Betsy, I was thinking of the child that is resistent to writing so left to their own devices could easily choose to write nothing.

So you could reasonably say that talking to yourself might be narration in the sense of helping you cement ideas?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
Thanks Betsy, I was thinking of the child that is resistent to writing so left to their own devices could easily choose to write nothing.

So you could reasonably say that talking to yourself might be narration in the sense of helping you cement ideas?

I think that you would address the child resistant to writing via the formal part of education through copywork, dictation, or notebooking. Once they are in 5th or 6th grades, you can encourage use of the various notebooks which might eventually spill over into their personal use.

I don't know the age of your resistant writer, but I tend to only make suggestions in times of Masterly Inactivity, and even then, I am careful not to be pushy. Writing and drawing is only a part.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Not a particular child so much Lindsay.. unless you count myself as a child.

One ADD-type symptom is overgripping the pencil, you have little control over not doing so unless you give it so much attention that you can't focus on what you're writing. And it's painful and tiring. The more writing you're required to do, the less you choose to do. A physical problem rather than one of the mental process of writing.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Wow! I had no idea this discussion would blossom so rapidly in my brief absence!
I'm not sure I have much to add. At this point most everything has been said and I find myself nodding in agreement. The comparisons to strewing, to Montessori, to "margin". All very true in my own view.
But... just to throw in my own little spin to the discussion, I'd like to focus on the "masterly" part of masterly inactivity. (pretty sure we all have "inactivity" well in hand!LOL!)

What exactly makes it masterful?

I think it is in knowing exactly when to hold back and when not to. It isn't a lazy or lackadaisical approach, but one of very careful attention to the needs of a specific child at a specific moment. And discernment on our part as to whether our interference is beneficial or detrimental at a given juncture.
Sure we can strew, leaving choice tidbits of educational goodness for our child to stumble upon and to choose or not at will. And we can provide open access to materials that are aimed directly at the child's current passions, or are more open-ended (such as art supplies, science supplies, etc). We can step back and let the child choose--to draw, to build, to sit quietly and ponder. But is that simply "inactivity" on our part? Could it be that there is much more to "masterly" inactivity than that?

As Jen pointed out, masterly activity is something WE do (not something our child does) and we have to choose when and where to best use it to full effect.
Obviously, if we step back to let our children use art supplies and chaos erupts, that's not so masterful!LOL! But not every situation is so cut-and-dry, you know? Sometimes it is hard to know when to step in and offer guidance. Sometimes it is even harder to keep the gag on and keep our big mouths shut!LOL!
So, what are the cues we use to discern if this is a time to step in or to step back?
How do we know when we've made the right (or wrong) choice?
I can tell you how it works in my family, but again, I so want to hear your thoughts on this first.
After all, look how productive it was last time I stepped back and let you ladies chat amongst yourselves. Pretty masterful of me, no?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

What kinds of "science supplies" would one strew about specifically?

I feel like there's a lack of hands on science in my home... books galore, but we are short on supplies and actual activities.

What are some excellent or essential things a parent ought to have on hand? Especially things that require little parental involvement? Especially for 9 & 7 & 5 year old boys?

(The bug viewer magnifying glass is often in use around here, but the kids don't seem to get a lot out of the binoculars unfortunately)

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

knowloveserve wrote:
What kinds of "science supplies" would one strew about specifically?

(The bug viewer magnifying glass is often in use around here, but the kids don't seem to get a lot out of the binoculars unfortunately)

Those, plus...
various magnets, magnet marbles, metal objects to test
a microscope and slides (blank and prepared)
test tubes and other glassware plus safe chemicals
droppers, forceps
pH strips
electronics supplies: wires, batteries, clips, bulbs, etc
rock collecting supplies:rock hammer, mineral hardness kit, streak test kit, crystal growing supplies.
petri dishes
wheels, gears, pulleys and string, plus a hot glue gun or hammer and nails/screws.
plant growing stuff
prisms, mirrors and a laser or small flashlight.
tuning forks
molecular model kit
the list is endless, really

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I know this is a bit of digression, but how to get science supplies that are durable, not directed at kids, but not expensive? I'm particularly looking at rock and mineral collecting, like what you mention above. But all that you mention leaves me hanging trying to figure out where to find them!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

JennGM wrote:
I know this is a bit of digression, but how to get science supplies that are durable, not directed at kids, but not expensive? I'm particularly looking at rock and mineral collecting, like what you mention above. But all that you mention leaves me hanging trying to figure out where to find them!

amateur geologist

Geo-tools

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

This thread has been timely for me. We started school this week, and my boys keep asking for more school work.

I would like to have things that they could do that I could call "school," so that I can give it to them when they asked to offer guidance.

Hmmm...maybe I'll print off some notebooking pages? That way it offers some amount of guidance but is very open ended and yet "looks" like school.

I don't think I need to *schedule* more--I want to keep our lessons short!

I'm very inspired by so much of this to try and create some more structure (whether by environment, organization, etc...) to take better advantage of these moments. They are not coming to me and saying they are "bored" --they are specifically asking for school!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

lapazfarm wrote:
What exactly makes it masterful?

I certainly think our biggest cue comes from CM herself when she calls it "wise and purposeful." For our part, we must be wise and discerning (which requires attention, being engaged) with a view toward the purpose to the letting alone. For the child, there is a question to answer, an unknown to investigate and this provides the purpose. The masterful part comes in as I "sow opportunities"...through the presentation of ideas in living books, through materials which are open-ended and offer scope to the imagination, through being a good steward of the gift and treasure of time so that it is free to foster moments of wise and purposeful letting alone, through a simply and invitingly crafted question posed to the child.

There is another way this time is masterfully spent, and that is through good habits. Good habits, which are nurtured and fostered in the home, and mastered by the child (O, Lord we pray!!!) provide an undergirding to time spent. How reckless will a child without basic habits of obedience, attention and truthfulness be? Not very masterful, but rather ruled by passions which are not under control. Greedy. Flighty. For this child, the letting alone could be dangerous. But, foster good habits and Masterly Inactivity is able to flower and unfold. The Inactivity is mastered by habits which allow the child to be wise and purposeful.

I suppose I would be remiss if I did not point out that my own habits and discipline must be exercised here as well in order for Masterly Inactivity to flower and fruit. Restraint/Temperance. Attentiveness. Watchfulness. Order. Inviting without pointing or demanding.

Some Masterly Inactivity looks like a pursuit or investigation prompted by a child's desire to know and go deeper. Some Masterly Inactivity simply involves a child feeling the freedom to interact with his environment and test it a bit, seek its reaction if this is done to that and so on. Other times Masterly Inactivity is simply time spent...wondering and experiencing.

I'm going to describe how I'd handle an older child's desire to go deeper in pursuing an idea they've encountered in a living book. This isn't a reflection of how I'd handle every instance of Masterly Inactivity because sometimes all that is needed is me letting alone and then being engaged and delighted by the child's experience when they share. I'm not sure if this example will be helpful, but I'll offer it and see what we get...

The child asks to go deeper or is invited to go deeper; he asks the questions and he answers them. I may ask for a review/summary of what the child knows about a thing/idea. I may ask what inspired the child? What direction is the child interested in or pursuing? Toward what? He begins his investigation. He shares with me his findings, the details of which are nuanced and highlighted in ways that allow me that special window into the child as person. I am delighted to be alongside. I am attentive and engaged throughout, but it is the child's investigation or pursuit, not mine, so in the same way that in a narration I avoid orchestrating questions that may take the child into an area that is too abstract, or that may be crafted to reveal only what a child does not know, in a child's Masterly Inactivity I am careful to allow the child's interests and actions to walk this investigation through. I am alongside. I may prompt from time to time if a child gets stuck. I may offer a new direction, or invite the pondering of a different question which might point them deeper, but it is simply an invitation. The child may ask me for something to help them understand, I put them in the way of books, ideas, materials that can help them know. The child acts upon the ideas and questions they ask. I make observations and nurture the questions they ask.

The child's role:
exercise their imagination...
experience...
grow in relationship...
be challenged and stretched.

My role:
provide scope for the imagination...
do not guard experience so much that they never learn from the mistakes they make....
nurture relationships by providing places to meet and materials through which the child and the idea may meet...
inspire and renew confidence.

Charlotte Mason offers this analogy and I find it helpful here:
CM, Vol 1, p. 134 wrote:
In conclusion, let me say that the education of habit is successful in so far as it enables the mother to let her children alone, not teasing them with perpetual commands and directions––a running fire of Do and Don't; but letting them go their own way and grow, having first secured that they will go the right way, and grow to fruitful purpose. The gardener, it is true, 'digs about and dungs,' prunes and trains, his peach tree; but that occupies a small fraction of the tree's life: all the rest of the time the sweet airs and sunshine, the rains and dews, play about it and breathe upon it, get into its substance, and the result is––peaches. But let the gardener neglect his part, and the peaches will be no better than sloes.

The child provides the fruit, and the gardner's role (parent), though minimal, is essential.

To get back to Theresa's question...

lapazfarm wrote:
So, what are the cues we use to discern if this is a time to step in or to step back?
How do we know when we've made the right (or wrong) choice?

Step back...
If I start directing the type of *air and how much sunshine* my child receives, or flooding the child with so much water that the rich soil is washed away from its roots, I know I'm doing way too much. How does the child behave when this has happened? Lack of enthusiasm. Glazed over eyes. Lack of interest. Think of a wilting plant. Those are the cues I look for -- wilty plant cues. Time to step back and allow the child time to grow in the sweet air and sunshine.

Step in...
Of course, as we all know, sometimes a plant is wilty from lack of water and sunshine, so I must ask myself if I have been engaged and offering the needed gentle and consistent assistance. If no....when was the last time I was involved and supporting? Long ago? Ever? Time to offer a gentle watering to nurture roots - careful not to overwhelm the fragile plant with a flood of water all at once, gentle and consistent sprinkles are what is needed.

How do I know if I've struck the balance?
The child lets me know. They enjoy engaging me and sharing their details and observances, and are often especially delighted in sharing how they will display their findings (project/art/compilation). Outside of the child sharing and interacting directly with me, simply observing usually tells the story. The child is delighted to pursue/explore/observe/be and with the habit of attentiveness, this is easy to observe.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 01 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
Think of a wilting plant. Those are the cues I look for -- wilty plant cues. Time to step back and allow the child time to grow in the sweet air and sunshine.

Love this!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2011 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:
I have often thought of the Masterly Activity is the time when everything comes together. We had our schooling and reading, and now it's time for it to soak in and the child to make the connections, and to further his own interest.

I have pondered this before too; strewing, divining when to step back are parts of MI, but just as important is time; time to ponder so the child can make connections.

Sometimes I will see one of my dc staring blankly, when asked "What are you doing?" they may answer 'nothing' I'll respond with "daydreaming?, that's good, daydreaming is important." Lying on our backs staring at the clouds, out the window at nothing definite. All part of MI. After all I'm sure that is when Edison made his connections.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

** Bumping ***

I love this thread and it is chock full of good ideas and seeds to ponder and grow!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version