Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Read Catechism in One Year Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 13 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Hat Tip to Nancy Brown for this link:

Read Catechism of Catholic Church in One Year

Begins Easter Sunday!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I just found this from your blog, Cay, and am SO EXCITED about doing it!!!

I have wanted to use the Coming Home Network's guide for a LONG time, but never could seem to get the oomph to do it on my own, and now I won't have to!!!

I think this will be inspirational, and a huge blessing! Thanks so MUCH!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I'm in too -- I blogged about it yesterday. Looks like a great way to "force" me to read the CCC!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2006 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I read the CCC one year -I started if for Lent reading in Lent 2003 and finished it for Advent reading the same year.

I really, really liked seeing how it flowed, as compared to my previous hit and miss, look for a subject reading of the CCC.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2006 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Anybody want to do this with me? DH will be doing it with me too. Easter Project starts shows the first week's readings scheduled and the link to the project.

Does anyone want to join me? We can write about it here or on my blog -- either way suits me.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 17 2006 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Cay Gibson wrote:
Hat Tip to Nancy Brown for this link:

Read Catechism of Catholic Church in One Year

Begins Easter Sunday!

Okay, I'm already overwhelmed. There's so much on this blog to read and it's only the second day...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

obriens61
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 17 2006 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote obriens61

I plan on following the plan too!

What a great motivation to systematically cover the CCC with the ability to "discuss" as we go.

Back to Top View obriens61's Profile Search for other posts by obriens61 Visit obriens61's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2006 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Are you ready the Bible passages too or just the CCC?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2006 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Cheryl wrote:
Are you ready the Bible passages too or just the CCC?

"Reading" not "ready"

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth wrote:

Okay, I'm already overwhelmed. There's so much on this blog to read and it's only the second day...

Elizabeth -- I'm not real keen on the blog either. I like that they have the schedule posted at the beginning of the week. I'm not going to try to read the blog until after I read that day's section.

The stuff that was on there before today is lots of info about the contributors and cmments about the CCC. I scanned it and although it's interesting I wouldn't necessarily waste alot of time on it. I'll look back at it if I find that I really like (or really DON'T like) soemthing someone has said and want to find out who/where they're coming from.

Does that help?

obriens61
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 17 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote obriens61

I love Fr. Stephanos's explanation of how the New Testament is an outgrowth of catechesis. I've posted this information on my blog, which I happen to know has a majority of non-Catholic readers. Pray they are prompted to be curious enough to read a little more, most especially anyone with anti-Catholic sentiments, most often the result of misinformation.

Back to Top View obriens61's Profile Search for other posts by obriens61 Visit obriens61's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2006 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I began this yesterday. It is a lot, but it has already blessed me!!!

I am committing myself to read the CCC and the Bible within a year, as per the Coming Home Network's sheet (on the site), but not to reading the blog every day. I will read the blog only on days the Lord finds time for me to do it.

I'd like to just check it every day, so I feel I'm on track. I don't think it's necessary to read every single thing on the blog.

I'd also like to keep a journal as I go along of what the Holy Spirit helps me to discern and how the Lord speaks to me through the reading as well, to look back on later.

This is the ONLY study I'm committing to, the only reading for this coming year. If by chance I can do other reading, great, but this is the one thing I've wanted to do for years now, and I see this as a great opportunity to do it, where there's some discussion, and some writings for me to be encouraged and supported.

I think 20-30 minutes a day for me, though a struggle, will be a blessing, and a gift back to God, to study my Faith, and be able to understand it that much more, something I SO need to do!

And I KNOW I waste at least 20-30 minutes a day of time, so I can find it from that time I waste.

Off to do my study now! The kids gave the computer up for Lent, which is now over, so my time is much more limited on here again! I guess maybe that's where my 20-30 minutes may come from!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Well, I'm a whole week behind and once I finish my emails and the blogs I love, I'll be a month behind.

Perhaps next year...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Cay,
   Why don't you continue with the study, but not do it in a year? Why say you must do it in a year? I'm just going to follow the list from the sheet. If I do it in a year, GREAT! If I fall behind, I'm just going to do it at my own pace instead.

The thing is, I think it's SO important for me to read the entire Bible, and CCC, and I LOVE how this is set up. So far, I have only gotten behind one day, twice. I was able to double up the next day, so thus far, I'm still on track. But if I get behind, I'm just going to keep doing it, but at my own pace, following the list.

Don't think you have to have it be all or nothing. It doesn't have to be that way. I often think that, because I'm a perfectionist. I think if I can't do it the *right way*, I should just give up. I think that's something I work on every single day now, knowing God doesn't expect me to be perfect, because I'm not Him. I'm me. I am doing my best daily to love, honor, and serve Him. And if that means I have to go at a slower pace because my vocation requires more of my time and devotion to my kids, rather than deep study, so be it. But I know I can still do it HIS way!

I just don't want you to miss out on something that is blessing me so much! It's been incredible so far!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Cay -- I'd like to second what Tracy said.

I've been doing pretty well, keeping up with the reading of the book (not so good on the blog) -- just once have I had to double-up on the reading.

It really is so rich and connects so many things. The only statment I disagree with is in the very beginning of the cathecihims when it says that it is meant for bishops, parish priests and catechesis teachers. It states that lay folk should be encouraged to read it. But I don't think this goes far enough. I think one of the problems in the Catholic church in America is that not enough of us laypeople read it and use it.....

Soemtimes the Catechism is like the Protestants quoting from the Bible -- you can't just quote things out of context without knowing the whole story.....

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Mary G wrote:
It really is so rich and connects so many things. The only statment I disagree with is in the very beginning of the cathecihims when it says that it is meant for bishops, parish priests and catechesis teachers. It states that lay folk should be encouraged to read it. But I don't think this goes far enough. I think one of the problems in the Catholic church in America is that not enough of us laypeople read it and use it.....

Soemtimes the Catechism is like the Protestants quoting from the Bible -- you can't just quote things out of context without knowing the whole story.....

I couldn't agree with this more, Mary! That bothered me a bit too. I think they should very strongly encourage laypeople to read it, and thought it should be much more strongly worded that way.

Especially seeing as there is not as much *teaching of the Faith* from the pulpit these days. We really need to be proactive in our studying of the Faith.

I did recently pick up the *Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church*, because for next year, I want to use it for our religion curriculum, or part of our religion curriculum with the kids. I felt the CCC would be too big and too much for all three kids to understand. But I also had a strong feeling that I need to go through the catechism with the kids before they leave home, so I feel that we've passed on the Faith and discussed it, that we've given the kids some Apologetics (using the Beginnings Apologetics series), and that we have given them some of the history of our Church, and some basic knowledge of Scripture, and how to study all of this further.

When they go out into the world, I don't want them to be so vulnerable to someone who's so much more knowledgeable about what they believe, that they are weak in their Faith, and could be ill prepared.

Anyway, by doing this study, I'm staying some steps ahead of them, so that I can prepare myself to do this with them next year too.

The Lord gives me something new to place in my heart each year we homeschool, to help and encourage me to keep running the race, and completing this journey. In the past, two of these have been, *Comparison is the Death of Contentment!*, and *God Does Not Call the Equipped, He Equips the Called!*

This year, He gave me this: *You are not preparing your kids for college, you are preparing them for Heaven!*

Wow! I think this one has hit me the hardest, because it's truly made me realize that though yes, it's important that we're educating our children, preparing them for what the Lord has planned for them on their time here on Earth, that our PRIMARY goal, our primary purpose in our vocation as homeschooling moms is to prepare our children for Heaven.

I guess I've gotten a bit off topic. All this to say, I think it's SO important we study our Faith, and what is our Faith? It's Sacred Scripture + Sacred Tradition, and there's really no better way than to pray daily before we open up the two beautiful tools He has ordained, God's Holy Word, and the CCC!

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Mary G wrote:

Mary, I couldn't agree more.

When I read the CCC through that year, I began to see all the intertwinings and the connections.

Iit really IS worthwhile reading all through - even if one takes a slower pace and doesn't necesarily read it one year but in two. The value is in the reading the CCC as a whole, and in the digesting.

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Tracy,

Wow! I loved what you wrote. Especially the messages you've gotten from God. I love the one for this year!! I'm always telling people "I'm not raising children, I'm raising adults!".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version