Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Guardian Angels Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Cici

This morning, I was reading Alice's beautiful post on guardian angels. 4 yodd is perched on my lap and we were admiring the painting of the angel watching over the small children at play.

Of course, here come the delightful questions and me, in my faultering capabilities have no answers. Where can I find out about guardian angels? Also, are there any living books she might enjoy about the same?

And Alice, does the painting have a name?

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

There is a whole apostolate called Opus Angelorum that probably has some good information.

And here is my favorite depiction of a Guardian Angel: Watchers in the Night

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

For a living book, have you read Angel in the Waters?

My 3 yo loves this one and is very devoted to his guardian angel . . . which is good because he is my daredevil and I imagine his angel is thoroughly exhuasted by the end of the day!

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

For He will give His angels charge concerning you,
     To guard you in all your ways.
                              --Psalm 91:11 (NASB)

Jesus said,
   "See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven."
                                 --Matthew 18:10 (NASB)

Guardian Angels

a part that stood out while looking at the link above:

The guardian angel simply has one task that has many facets — to lead the human to the Passion and Cross. Embracing the cross is the only way human beings reach heaven. He does this mainly through pricking our conscience so we can follow the will of God. He encourages us to thank God for the many humiliations we receive daily, even when his voice is being drowned out because the fallen one is helping to stir up our pride and roars in our ears. Guardian angels do this indirectly working through the imagination and memory. A secondary role is to physically protect. We might notice this indirectly. For instance, we might not be able to locate an item, which then detains us. Only later do we learn that we would have likely been in danger had we not been detained.

Who are our Guardian Angels

A Book of Angels by Marigold Hunt I have this book on order via our Catholic bookstore. I don't know how specific it gets on our personal guardian angels however.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Many thanks, Cici, not only for the compliment, but also the great idea for a thread.

I do not know the name of the image of children with a guardian angel that I posted, but I think it is a fairly common one. If I ever see it available as a print, I'll let you know!

Here are two documents on Guardian Angels from Catholic Culture.org, but I would really like to give this question more thought and maybe even some research later:

Guardian Angels

St. Bernard's Sermon on the Guardian Angels

Thanks again!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I love that picture linked above, Watchers in the Night. I tend to think of guardian angels as sweet cherubs. The angel in that print is just the sort of no nonsense guardian angel I want for my kids!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I found that image for sale here under the title "Guardian Angel at Stream."

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

alicegunther wrote:
Many thanks, Cici, not only for the compliment, but also the great idea for a thread.

I do not know the name of the image of children with a guardian angel that I posted, but I think it is a fairly common one. If I ever see it available as a print, I'll let you know!

Here are two documents on Guardian Angels from Catholic Culture.org, but I would really like to give this question more thought and maybe even some research later:

It's a beautiful post, Alice (as always) and I'm happy that Cici brought it to our attention. I was talking to dh this morning about my guardian angel, as in the middle of the night I bolted out of my bed to my son's room because I knew something was wrong. He was throwing up, but in my dead sleep I couldn't have known that. Some call it mother's intuition, but I call it my guardian angel told me! This is something that happens all the time -- my son is saved from danger because of the protection of the angel.

Marigold Hunt's book does not talk about Guardian angels per se. It covers the angels from creation and throughout the Bible. Of course, the Biblical examples are often times guardian angels.

I can't think of living books, but I do have some books for further reading on angels that are excellent. Many of these have living stories that could read as examples of guardian angel action.
All About the Angels by Paul O'Sullivan. This was originally written in 1945 and has been reprinted by various publishers.

The Angels by Pascal P. Parente. This is a reprint, originally published in 1958. Another title of the same book is Beyond Space.

My Angel Will Go Before You by Georges Huber.

Send Me Your Guardian Angel: Padre Pio by Alessio Parente. Inspiring account of different ways Padre Pio worked with his guardian angel. This could be read out loud easily. "When you are in need of my prayer, address my guardian angel through your own angel" Padre Pio would say.

On the Feast of the Guardian Angels on Catholic Culture there are links to other documents on guardian angels. You can read an excerpt from Parente (search further and there are 3 chapters from his book) and Huber. Also note the section from Directory on Popular Piety and Liturgy.

Two passages from Huber's book I had marked you might enjoy:
When he was going up into the pulpit, St. Francis de Sales used to pause to look around at the people present: when doing so he was greeting their guardian angels, asking them to make his listeners well-disposed. St. Paul of the Cross, the founder ofthe Passionists, had the same custom....

A mother cannot always directly influence a son or daughter whose faith or moral conduct is at risk, but at any time of the day or night she can use the invisible communication network of the guardian angels. An angel, mobilized by his mother, can suddenly remind a young man of some resolution or promise. And this reminder can be of decisive importance. Sometimes it takes very little to influence an indecisive will. The guardian angels are there precisely to serve men as they make their way towards God.
So many saints had devotion to their guardian angels, but in particular Padre Pio, Josemaria Escriva and Blessed John XXIII.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A prayer on this feast of the Guardian Angels...

Guardian angels, you have been assigned to protect my children.

Watch over them along those ways where the eye and hand of a mother & father cannot go.

Protect them on the street from dangers of body which threaten them as well as well as from temptations to which their souls are exposed.

Guard them against those who would lead them from the right way and help them make friends with those who are close to our Lord.

Help them when they fail, give them faith and trust when discouragement and doubt beset them.

Console them when they are lonely and feel that they have been deserted by dear friends.

Help them at all times to stand honorably before God, to bring happiness to their companions.

Teach them - should they wander from the true path of life – to find their way back to Him & increase their faith once more.
AMEN

PRAYER OF PROTECTION
I place___________under the protection of the most precious blood of Jesus. May the choirs and legions of angels surround________________and may no harm come to _______________. Amen

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

This is an excellent book: Under Angel Wings it is a TAN book and very good reading.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version