Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Holy Week and Easter books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Thanks, Mary. Was wondering if I wanted to try to get that one, but I think probably not unless Jenn gives it a great review!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:
Thanks, Mary. Was wondering if I wanted to try to get that one, but I think probably not unless Jenn gives it a great review!

Once again I get only a few posts in my email. I didn't get Mary's review...had to check it out.

I did see that it was Zonderkidz and I expected the same format. I only like a few of those books...the format gets tiresome after a while. Kind of like those Sleeping Bear books all following the alphabet.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 12 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

For anyone considering buying The Easter Story by Brian Wildsmith be aware that it comes in a miniature version. I had no idea and just ordered from the title and author and this tiny little book arrived. It really doesn't do justice to the illustrations IMO. You can distinguish the miniature version from the paperback and hardback as its ISBN ends in X.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sharyn wrote:
For anyone considering buying The Easter Story by Brian Wildsmith be aware that it comes in a miniature version. I had no idea and just ordered from the title and author and this tiny little book arrived. It really doesn't do justice to the illustrations IMO. You can distinguish the miniature version from the paperback and hardback as its ISBN ends in X.

Oh, that happened to me with his "Christmas Story" -- I was so upset! I'm sorry it happened to you. Good point about the X in the ISBN. I just now look at the dimensions.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I also think that The Little Rose of Sharon would be make for an excellent Easter gift... such a beautiful story.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:
stellamaris wrote:
Anyone read this one? The Story of the Easter Robin

No, I haven't, but I had just requested it this morning.

Yes, I have. It's from the same Zonderkids "series" as the Christmas ones like The Legend of the Candy Cane and The Gift of the Christmas Cookie. It follows the same sort of style and formula so that should give you an idea. I do like the legend of the robin getting his red breast from the drops of blood when he tried to remove the thorns from Jesus' head. This is a nice exposure to that story. BTW - that is only one legend as there is a Christmas legend too about his breast getting singed while fanning the fire to keep the Holy Family warm. And there is a Flight into Egypt legend as well.

I finally got my turn to read The Story of the Easter Robin by Dandi Daley Mackall, illustrated by Anna Vojtech.

It is a nice book, although I don't think it's a good stand-alone, shout-from-the-mountaintops Easter book. It incorporates this Easter Legend, like MaryM mentioned above, so it would be similar to Little Rose of Sharon for that category. This could be read in Holy Week because it remembers Jesus' dying on the Cross, and then goes to Easter Sunday.

My inclination would be to include it with all the books that incorporate the Easter eggs traditions, as I have quite a few. I should make that list again.

This book includes some of the Pennsylvania Dutch egg tree tradition similar to, but a bit different than The Egg Tree by Katherine Milhous, that Caldecott classic.

Tressa and Gran make the oschter-foggel, Easter birds, the Pennsylvania Dutch tradition. As I love to work with eggs, I wanted to know more on how to do this, but I was disappointed there was no addendum to explain the process. And googling the name it might even be misspelled. I couldn't find anything.

The process is mentioned -- blow the eggs, dye the eggs (and here they dyed them a Robin Egg's blue, which makes me LONG for a dye that could do that color), and then added paper wings, heads, and tails. No mention is made of how they added string to hang these up outdoors. And no pattern is given for the paper designs, although they are pictures in the drawings (accordion-folded wings, etc.)

Having done a few blown eggs in my time, it's an easier process to dye the eggs first, then blow them, because it's more difficult to keep a blown egg submerged, and then the dye gets into the egg, and it's messy trying to dry that all out.

In comparison, The Egg Tree included the Pennsylvania Dutch tradition of Easter Egg tree with painted or scratched the eggs. The process was quoted in this thread

JennGM wrote:
Okay, I was reading the back of The Egg Tree by Katherine Milhous and it has instructions on how to make an Egg Tree:
Perhaps you would like to make an Easter Egg Tree in your own home or in school or in your library?

First ask a grown-up to help you blow the eggs, with a little hole at one end and a larger one at the other.

Then dye the shells different colors with Easter Egg dyes. After that paint designes on some of them with dye or paint -- you can use watercolor or showcard paints -- or scratch them on. Perhaps you will want to leave some of the shells white, and paint ona white background. Some eggs may be plain colors.

All through this book are lovely designs that you may use, or you may prefer to make your own.

Hang the eggs on the branches of a little tree, outdoors or indoors. If the branches are bare, the tree will look pretty whitewashed or painted white. Under the tree put your candy Easter eggs and any gay Easter toys. Then ask your friends in to see it!

Anyone try this? Does anyone know what showcard paints are? (see red)

MaryM said she things that means poster paints. Is that tempura paints? Could someone show this clueless woman a link to this kind of paints?

So, in summary, I think this is a good book. It incorporates the Passion, the Resurrection of Jesus, God's tender care for His creatures, and man's trust of his providence, plus the Legend of the Robin and an egg craft. I think this is good "jumping ground" material to read that will inspire more reading and crafts.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2012 at 1:42am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

The Easter Cave is a book that is sort of in the middle ground... it's not fluffy bunnies and eggs but it's not too literal and sorrowful with the actual Easter story either. It would be good for young readers... told in the "This is the House that Jack Built" style...

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:
I also received a book not on Elizabeth's list that I want to HIGHLY recommend. It's called The Jesus Garden: An Easter Legend by Anoinette Bosco, printed by Pauline Books and Media. This is just beautifully illustrated. The story brings together the legends of the dogwood, robin redbreast, bleeding hearts and morning glory.

Can you believe this book is now nearly $200!!! Obviously I won't be getting it this year Though it was ridicuslously high last year too.

Erin wrote:
Just splurged this Lent and ordered a few new titles, they are slowly trickling in.
The Thornbush
On That Easter Morning
Easter Story - Gennady Spirin
Easter Swallows
Introduction to the Liturgical Year
The Easter Swallows is the only one I've read thus far and it is lovely. Although I note it is recommend for a 3year old, I would say rather ambitious for a restless 3yr old as there is a bit of text, not lots but not simple.

Well a year has rolled on since, and I want to give the thumbs up to all these titles. I can tend to be picky about books I know but I was very happy with all of these.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm thinking I'd like to buy a book for each of my siblings families. Children in one family are baby & 3yr, the other family are 2 & just 4. Whilst both families have a child's Bible and a few other Faith books (all from me as I'm the book aunt) they have no Lent/Easter books. If you were buying for this age group what would be your recommendation?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 22 2013 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just received Little Colt's Palm Sunday in time for Palm Sunday Very sweet, told from the viewpoint of the colt who carried Our Lord on Palm Sunday. Haven't found anything to cover this before so really happy to have discovered this book.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:
I also received a book not on Elizabeth's list that I want to HIGHLY recommend. It's called The Jesus Garden: An Easter Legend by Anoinette Bosco, printed by Pauline Books and Media. This is just beautifully illustrated. The story brings together the legends of the dogwood, robin redbreast, bleeding hearts and morning glory.

Erin wrote:
Can you believe this book is now nearly $200!!! Obviously I won't be getting it this year Though it was ridiculously high last year too.

Well just checked again and the Jesus Garden is $270 this year!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bookfinder has it for $83...such a bargain!

Really, the illustrations are gorgeous but not worth more than $25.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Don't buy Easter books now...they are all inflated!

Last Easter/Spring Easter Eggs for Anya was $122. I got it in December for $4.00.

The Bird's Gift was close to $80 (spring) and I got it last fall for $6.00 or so.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Though on Jodie's heads up I just bought Petook on Abe (2nd hand) for $13 including freight in hardcover, could have got it for $8 in softcover. However I kept hearing Jenn's voice, "get hardcover, get hardcover" so I did.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
Though on Jodie's heads up I just bought Petook on Abe (2nd hand) for $13 including freight in hardcover, could have got it for $8 in softcover. However I kept hearing Jenn's voice, "get hardcover, get hardcover" so I did.

I think that is a steal! With shipping in hardcover, anything under $15 for that hard-to-find book is a good price! Well done, Erin.

And yes, I would have paid $5 difference for hardcover.

My biggest complain of softcover books for my liturgical year picture books is that I can't read the binding, so they get lost on the shelf.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, I love Petook! And I definitely agree on the hardcover! That's one of our favorites!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2014 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MicheleQ wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
A beautiful book for Holy Week is The Way of the Cross: Holy Week, The Stations of the Cross and the Resurrection by Inos Biffi. This book is also out of print and not readily available, so if you find one (and you can afford it) count yourself very blessed.

Until now that is. I have been able to secure 30 NEW copies and make them available on my website. This is a BEAUTIFUL book for Lent!

Just an FYI, I don't sell these anymore but they are available at Liturgy Training Publications at this link:
http://www.ltp.org/p-2343-the-way-of-the-cross.aspx

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version