Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Watercolor Drawing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 22 2011 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

We have been on a water color drawing kick around here. It's been nice and bright and the kids have enjoyed taking the medium to our backyard table. We use watercolor paper, prang watercolors and I recently bought a few of the very fine type brushes.

Does anyone know what are some good watercolor pens to use? I'm thinking more for myself and maybe my oldest dd. She's always been a reluctant artist but I can see she's enjoyed this with us. I thought the pens might give her more confidence and definition in her strokes.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 22 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

My oldest daughter and son enjoy the Niji Waterbrush set. They're very good quality, and respond well to color and movement on the paper. The fact that they're totally portable makes them FABULOUS! Hat tip goes to Kimberlee's art post, The Joy of Watercolors, where we learned about these amazing waterbrush pens.

I also added a couple of sets of VERY inexpensive Aqua Flow waterbrush sets for my younger children and I'm SOOO glad I did! They enjoy the waterbrush too, and the water is self contained in the brush.    The Aqua Flow set is super inexpensive and thus is a good option for....ahem....less careful watercolor artists.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I love her pictures. I had no idea of the brush pens. I have seen what look like markers. But I love her point about black spillable water It happens every time we're out there ... very frustrating 3yr old & 18 month old boys who love water.

Definitely getting some, thanks Jen

Has anyone watched the dvd she mentions. It's a little expensive, is it worth it? We've just been going out there and coloring flowers and such by observation only, but haven't had any formal training or exposure to techniques/styles.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Grace&Chaos wrote:

Has anyone watched the dvd she mentions. It's a little expensive, is it worth it? We've just been going out there and coloring flowers and such by observation only, but haven't had any formal training or exposure to techniques/styles.

I haven't, but my finger has been hovering over "BUY" since she posted! If I have extra in my Amazon budget at the end of this month, I may get it! I'd love a review if anyone has seen it! Glad you asked about it, Jenny!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2011 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

WE used the DVD Watercolor Journaling this year and really liked it but I think I paid less than 29.00 for it. Shop around! Also, we really only needed to watch it once (well, we did review it a lot the first time, repeating sections and pausing them so the kids could get a better look), so maybe you'd go in on it with several other families and share it with each other.
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

margot helene wrote:
WE used the DVD Watercolor Journaling this year and really liked it but I think I paid less than 29.00 for it. Shop around! Also, we really only needed to watch it once (well, we did review it a lot the first time, repeating sections and pausing them so the kids could get a better look), so maybe you'd go in on it with several other families and share it with each other.

We really liked it. Such practical tips was worthwhile, and my oldest sat down and watched it with me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
margot helene wrote:

We really liked it. Such practical tips was worthwhile, and my oldest sat down and watched it with me.

Thanks ladies, I'm going to see if I can shop around for it. I did order the Eve Anderson: Nature Study Teacher Training Tool on dvd, which was only $10.00. I can't get the link to work sorry. But it says:

"These exclusive DVD’s were produced in ChildLight schools in the USA showing Charlotte Mason College graduate, Eton End, UK headmistress, and 30 year veteran PNEU teacher Eve Anderson instructing school children in these methods before death in May, 2004."

Methods including dry brush technique.

Grace in Loving Chaos

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 09 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Jen, just regarding the Waterbrush pens... How do you get rid of a color off the pen before using a different color? I'm trying to get together a journaling kit for my dc for Christmas and these look great.

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

A water brush can be cleaned by gently wiping it on a small sponge. Paper towels or soft rags can also be used in a pinch.

I've used sponges from the cosmetics section when putting a kit together.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 09 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Thanks Jenny!

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

BTW as a rather poor artist I've found watercolor pencils and/or the Sakura Koi Field Sketch boxes to be useful and inspiring.

The watercolor pencils are useful because I can draw and then use my water brush.

The field kits appeal to my love of small kits with no wasted space (the smallest one can be placed in a jacket pocket with room to spare), they go very well with painting art card or postcard sized works. Such small works seem less intimidating to attempt (We normally cut larger sheets of watercolor paper down to size)
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 09 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Sharyn wrote:
Jen, just regarding the Waterbrush pens... How do you get rid of a color off the pen before using a different color? I'm trying to get together a journaling kit for my dc for Christmas and these look great.

Yes, sponges would work well, too. I've never thought of that! Might have to try it - thanks, ekbell! We use either a paper towel or a piece of scratch paper. Just squeeze the barrel of the waterbrush to expel a little additional water as you rub the brush back and forth on the paper or paper towel until the water comes out clean.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

ekbell wrote:
The watercolor pencils are useful because I can draw and then use my water brush.

This does seem like a good combination. I like the look of the Sakura Koi field sketch box too, but I can't seem to find an Australian online supplier for either unfortunately. I will see if I can do better at a local art supplies. Otherwise maybe they will have to be an Epiphany gift

I'm wondering how it is when it comes to Christmas planning, that I always think there is plenty of time, which somehow changes to not enough time without me realising it    

I had a look at the journaling you have been doing on your blog and my eldest daughter saw and asked when we could start doing journals like that too
It's lovely to be able to read blogs like yours for inspiration. Thanks!

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Mackfam wrote:
Sharyn wrote:

Yes, sponges would work well, too. I've never thought of that! Might have to try it - thanks, ekbell! We use either a paper towel or a piece of scratch paper. Just squeeze the barrel of the waterbrush to expel a little additional water as you rub the brush back and forth on the paper or paper towel until the water comes out clean.

Thanks Jen! Is there a size of the Niji Waterbrush that you have found to be the most useful?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We prefer and use mostly:

the 9mm tip (small)
the 12mm tip (medium)

I'd say the 9mm sees the most "action".

And just to re-emphasize - I CANNOT scream it loud enough from the rooftops -- these Aquaflow brushes are perfect for younger hands....or even hands that enjoy art expression but don't need very good quality materials yet!! They work well - so they might frustrate an older/high school child that really is quite talented at art and needs a bit more quality to express with the brush, but would be well-suited/IDEAL for just about anyone else!!! They are SUPER inexpensive ($4 for the set of three) and I would put a set in EVERY.SINGLE.STOCKING this year if we didn't already have a couple of sets! Think of them as the Crayola/Prang version of color pencil as compared to a Prismacolor or Derwent (which would be the Niji brush). If anyone is on the fence and budget is tight - the little Aquaflow set of watercolor brushes would be FANTASTIC Christmas gifts, and then if you had a child that really enjoyed the waterbrush as a tool, you might consider the more expensive and far-better quality Niji brushes.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Sharyn, a little late with some tips.

I always have a washcloth for the kids to switch colors on their brush. They tend to add a little too much color thus need more water or drip from water brush to take it off. The towel material abosorbs better for them and is less messy than the sponge.

I'd give your local fabric, craft & art stores a try for the Koi Field set. I found mine at our local Joann Fabrics store

Last, I completely agree with Jen. Tha Aquaflow has been wonderful for my little ones. We have had less mess when we watercolor. I'm considering getting the thinner more expensive Niji ones for them because they still like the fine brush for definition (although it doesn't get used as much) and thus still seem to use a cup of water.

Good luck getting your materials together

Grace in Loving Chaos

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Mackfam wrote:
We prefer and use mostly:

the 9mm tip (small)
the 12mm tip (medium)

I'd say the 9mm sees the most "action".

Thank you for these suggestions! I'm almost certainly going to have to order these online, so it is very helpful to know which would make the best choice.

I did find the Aquaflow brushset available in Australia online, but for $16 a set, and that's not counting in post! So that I will definately order from the US as I have already seen that I could get at at least 3 for that price.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Grace&Chaos wrote:
Sharyn, a little late with some tips.

I always have a washcloth for the kids to switch colors on their brush. They tend to add a little too much color thus need more water or drip from water brush to take it off. The towel material abosorbs better for them and is less messy than the sponge.

I'd give your local fabric, craft & art stores a try for the Koi Field set. I found mine at our local Joann Fabrics store

Last, I completely agree with Jen. Tha Aquaflow has been wonderful for my little ones. We have had less mess when we watercolor. I'm considering getting the thinner more expensive Niji ones for them because they still like the fine brush for definition (although it doesn't get used as much) and thus still seem to use a cup of water.

Good luck getting your materials together

Thanks Jenny! We have a large Fabric/craft store nearby, I need to go there for the remaining fabric I need for the pencil/brush rolls that I'm going to make, plus material for tote bags. I hope I'm not in over my head here. I have more enthusiasm than skill, but half an ounce of optimism can go a long way

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sharyn wrote:
Thanks Jenny! We have a large Fabric/craft store nearby, I need to go there for the remaining fabric I need for the pencil/brush rolls that I'm going to make, plus material for tote bags. I hope I'm not in over my head here. I have more enthusiasm than skill, but half an ounce of optimism can go a long way

What are you using for patterns/inspiration for the pencil/brush rolls and tote bags?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Okay, it looks like I am going to be the lone voice of dissent on the waterbrushes.
I really don't care for them and neither do any of my kids.
I have tried to love them (REALLY, REALLY tried!) because they seem like such a neat idea--portable, neat, all-in-one. But in actual use I find them awkward and fiddly and even when I grab them first, I inevitably gravitate back to my regular brushes. The same thing happens with the kids, who find them messy and hard to control.
So, my advice is to try them and see if you like them before you invest too much. You may love them, but then again, you may not.
The kids and I much prefer to have a little mist bottle for wetting the pan colors, and a set of these super-nice student-grade brushes:Blick Wonder white brushes

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version