Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: War of 1812 Bicentennial Ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 06 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Next year is the bicentennial of the beginning of the War of 1812. I'm hoping to teach a co-op class on this interesting, under-studied war.

I live near Baltimore, so I have been to many of the local War of 1812 spots...

...but I'm wondering about New York, Canada, New Orleans, etc.

Please share travel tips and other resources!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Our Lady of Prompt Succor in New Orleans. Learning about War of 1812 while living in Louisiana, this was THE KEY component.

To visit the Shrine

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2011 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Erie, PA, home of Commodore Perry's Flagship Niagara (and where it was built) is planning a big celebration. Erie's bayfront is very nice and Presque Isle State Park is worth the visit on its own. http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110302/NE WS02/303029930/-1/RSS
As an aside, I greatly admire Commodore Perry but can't help but smile every time I think of him scrambling from the disabled Lawrence to the Niagara clutching his "Don't Give Up the Ship" flag!
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

zookeeper9
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 11 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote zookeeper9

Of course a visit to Ft. McHenry will be a must for my family. We should try to organize a homeschool day there.

Plus one saint in heaven Andrew 1/22-7/5/2005
Back to Top View zookeeper9's Profile Search for other posts by zookeeper9 Visit zookeeper9's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2012 at 2:30am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping...since this is the year.

I so wish we could make it out there to Ft. McHenry again - we visited in 2009.   The new Visitor Center just opened a year ago. Has anyone seen it yet? I hope that we can make it back there during the course of the 3 year anniversary celebration. Sounds like there are all kinds of events planned.

This is my list of picture books to recommend:
War of 1812
Dolley Madison Saves Geroge Washington (Don Brown)
By the Dawn's Early Light (Steven Kroll)
Star Spangled Banner (Peter Spier)
Francis Scott Key and "The Star-Spangled Banner" (Lynea Bowdish)
The Flag Maker (Susan Bartoletti)
Sisters of Scituate Light (Stephen Krensky)
The Town that Fooled the British: A War of 1812 Story (Lisa Papp)

ETA: a chapter book - The Pirate Lafitte and the Battle of New Orleans (Robert Tallant) - OOP Landmark Book. Has been reprinted by different publisher in the 1990s.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 23 2012 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote mama2many

You could END the study with this:
The War of 1812: the Movie

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2012 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Our conference is coming up and I'm donating some "unit study/rabbit trail" baskets for door prizes. I've been watching and picking up books at the thrift store that I can use as a theme for the baskets. One I have is By the Dawn's Early Light by Steven Kroll. I'm going to use it to put together a "Celebrating the Bicentennial: War of 1812 Unit" basket. I found a small Fort McHenry era flag at a NPS gift shop we visited this weekend, so will include that. I want to find a free download of the Star Spangled Banner to burn to a CD. Anyone have idea of the items or resources I could add that wouldn't be too costly (or better yet free). That I could add to the basket to provide some unit study elements on this topic.
Thanks!

Thanks.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Official War of 1812 Bicentennial Site

Our Domestic Church

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Mary, can you find and print out an online map of the War of 1812 battle sites? I know in Maryland there's a War of 1812 driving trail...I'm pretty sure it's part of a larger effort to promote tourism at all of the sites.

Also, a print of Gilbert Stuart's portrait of George Washington is appropriate, because Dolley Madison saved it as the British closed in on the White House.

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2013 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

The SS LYNX is a replica ship that does war of 1812 reenactments.i don't know their tour schedule. their website would have more info. my eldest daughter is considering an application to be a crew member.
mary-ny
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 14 2014 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Adding a picturebook:
Jean Lafitte: The Pirate Who Saved America by Susan Goldman Rubin

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2014 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A link with ideas & resources for the upcoming anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner (Sept. 13, 1814):

U.S. National Anthem (Classical Composers Monthly)

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2014 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
A link with ideas & resources for the upcoming anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner (Sept. 13, 1814):

U.S. National Anthem (Classical Composers Monthly)

Happy 200th Birthday to the "Star Spangled Banner"!!

Smithsonian NMAH site has great interactive resources.

Quote:
Our national anthem was written following the Battle of Baltimore (September 13-14, 1814; War of 1812). Francis Scott Key penned the poem, The Defense of Fort M'Henry, while being detained on British ship in the harbor outside Fort McHenry. Following the battle, Key saw that the Fort McHenry garrison flag was still flying and knew the United States had held the fort. On September 17, 1814 the poem was published as a handbill and became very popular. It was later set to music (to the tune "To Anacreon in Heaven") and renamed "The Star-Spangled Banner. It was very popular through the years but wasn't officially declared our nation anthem until March 3, 1931 when congress passed a bill which President Herbert Hoover signed.

Anyone doing anything special? On Monday our support group is meeting for a short lesson and listening to several versions of the song, a simple flag craft, followed by a picnic lunch and social time for kids - maybe a rousing game of capture the "flag" or "flag"football.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Picture book list for Star Spangled Banner:

By the Dawn's Early Light (Steven Kroll)
Francis Scott Key and "The Star-Spangled Banner" (Lynea Bowdish)
The Flag Maker (Susan Bartoletti)

My favorite illustrated versions of the song:
Star Spangled Banner illustrated by Peter Spier. 1st, 2nd, 4th verses make up the text. Wonderfully detailed Spier illustrations showing historic perspective through modern times.
The Star Spangled Banner illustrated by Ingri & Edgar Parin D'Aulaire, It is really sweet. Has all 4 verses of the song. Illustrations go back and forth between color and b&w; historical & battle scenes and everyday American life.

Have been trying to see this book - asked library to order it but they didn't. It looks good but want to see it first.
The Rocket's Red Glare: Celebrating the History of The Star Spangled Banner

This is a nice general flag history picture book:
Flags Over America: A Star Spangled Story

General War of 1812 picture books:
The Town that Fooled the British: A War of 1812 Story (Lisa Papp)
Sisters of Scituate Light (Stephen Krensky)
Jean Laffite The Pirate Who Saved America (Susan Goldman Rubin) - Battle of New Orleans

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:

General War of 1812 picture books:

Speaking of this, my husband and I are watching (and thoroughly enjoying) the Ken Burns series on the Roosevelts, although it's hampering getting other things done at night this week.

One things mentioned was that while in the White House the children of Teddy blew spitballs on the presidents' portraits by Stuart. I wondered if GW's was one of them. All that work Dolley did to save it!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version