Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: sidetracked home executives Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 21 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote mamalove

anyone do the old skool version with the cards and file box? I am getting myself set up for this, and hope to hear some encouragement from moms who have done this for years.
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I read the book and was intrigued by that system, but it seemed a bit too labor-intensive for me so I never used it.

Even though I liked FlyLady, I eventually settled on Motivated Moms. For $8 I get my chore list for a year. Love it!

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2011 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I used this system for several years on and off and it was very helpful for me. It taught me what to do and when to do it. Although the cards might seem cumbersome in today's virtual world, they were a great way to visualize, organize, and adjust a home maintenance system,
Also, they were easy to hand out to the children! I personally don't find just an online list quite so easy to use, but that is just a matter of what works for you.

Ideas in this system that were most helpful for me include:

Delegating days for specific types of tasks
Organizing tasks according to days, weeks, months, or seasons
Lists of tasks to be accomplished
Setting up "sections"-dry, wet, baking, and cold- in the kitchen (this is in the kitchen book)
Keeping a running to do list

This system really taught me a lot and, although a little bit time-consuming to set up, was interactive and motivating for me to use.
HTH!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I haven't done it, but it worked well for my mother with 7 children and homeschooling.

The hesitancy I had was having the index cards in the box. I needed to have a visual of all of them, arranged in a chart or something... So after making the cards, then I would need some charts.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2011 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

jawgee wrote:
I read the book and was intrigued by that system, but it seemed a bit too labor-intensive for me so I never used it.

Even though I liked FlyLady, I eventually settled on Motivated Moms. For $8 I get my chore list for a year. Love it!

I think that Motivated Moms is really great for jumpstarting such a system. I pull it out periodically and found it much more accessible than FlyLady or creating my own system from scratch.

I'm such a perfectionist, I would invest more energy into the system than the cleaning. Right now, I'm in the midst of many projects trying to knock out things like the inherited ugly kitchen and wallpaper borders I inherited with the house (which, I'm okay with--seeing past all that was why we got a good deal on the house, lol). Anyway, those things are HUGE distractions for me since my feeling of order has a lot to do with aesthetic.

I'm also finishing up lesson plans for the new year and organizing my office.

I have a newborn, so I can either clean or paint or organize, but I can barely do two on a given day, and certainly not three.

BUT.

I fully intend to revisit Motivated Moms once things settle down a bit. I think it will help me find my groove in a new house. I find that a checklist works well for me when I'm disciplined, and then, I only need to work on my daily routine for the WHENs instead of also figuring out the WHATs.

The cost is $8, but around this time of year, they usually start marking it half off. I got it my first year for $4, and just this month, I pulled it out for the first time since our move in January and am just using last year's planner and ignoring the dates. It works. And for $4, if it doesn't work, not big deal, but if it does, definitely worth the time saved, yk?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
I haven't done it, but it worked well for my mother with 7 children and homeschooling.

The hesitancy I had was having the index cards in the box. I needed to have a visual of all of them, arranged in a chart or something... So after making the cards, then I would need some charts.

This is basically what Motivated Moms is. It has all the checklists for the week arranged on a sheet of paper. I think you can also get the daily version if you prefer to visually just see today.

AND

I just saw they have a iPad app! I might have to try that this Fall!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

CrunchyMom wrote:
JennGM wrote:

This is basically what Motivated Moms is. It has all the checklists for the week arranged on a sheet of paper. I think you can also get the daily version if you prefer to visually just see today.

AND

I just saw they have a iPad app! I might have to try that this Fall!

I use the one that has two weeks on one page. I print it and post it on my refrigerator, and then work from that list, adding things if I need to.

Back several years ago, when I was first a SAHM, I spent weeks and weeks "perfecting" my FlyLady Control Journal. It was OK for a while, but it's much easier for me when someone else does the list and I just follow it.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I also purchased Motivated Moms. I guess I should print out this month....      I have been so focused on starting homeschooling and finishing our move that everything else has slipped through the cracks!!!!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2011 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I think Motivated Moms may be just what I need to help keep my head on straight while settling into the new house. Thanks!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2011 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

CrunchyMom wrote:
I'm such a perfectionist, I would invest more energy into the system than the cleaning.

I had to laugh at this, because I do the same thing. I spend so much time setting up a system, creating lists, figuring it all out and then...nothing. The fun is over and I don't follow it; except maybe a few times here and there. I'm working through MROL right now (have been for over 8 months) trying to get to the heart of my lack of discipline.

mamalove - I hope SHE works out for you. I'm always happy when somebody is able to crack the code on home cleaning and organization.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2011 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote mamalove

im on day 3, and things are going well....talk to me on month 3 though...and we will see if the proof is in the pudding
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version