Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Rumer Godden and other recommendations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

If things go as planned, I'm going to do my annual pilgrimage to a used book sale tomorrow. My family, particularly my dh, likes to tease me on how I become a completely different person at this sale!

Anyway, I am looking around the forum at some recommendations that I need to find.

Rumer Godden In This House of Brede has been mentioned. I noticed she's written quite a few books. Would you recommend some of her other titles, also?

I'm adding Elinor Brent-Dyer and Arthur Ransome to my list. Also Melissa Wiley ...I'm so behind on my reading!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I remember reading China Court by Godden and really liking it.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Oh yes....definitely In This House of Brede!

Be sure to pick up the Kitchen Madonna if you find it. I found my copy at a library sale. Also, Greengage Summer was o.k. (I didn't keep my copy) but loved An Episode of Sparrows. And of course pick up any of the children's doll stories.

other than that, I'd take a copy of the Boyhood favorites thread for sure.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2006 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I have "Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy" by Rumer Godden. I haven't read it yet though, so I can't recommend it. She also wrote a sweet Christmas story for children called, " Holly and Ivy".

I bet your going to the Stoneridge Sale? Book sales are serious business, especially that one. I haven't gone to Stoneridge in a while but last time I did I was shocked at how aggresive and pushy book dealers have become.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 06 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

threesilosfarm wrote:
I bet your going to the Stoneridge Sale? Book sales are serious business, especially that one. I haven't gone to Stoneridge in a while but last time I did I was shocked at how aggresive and pushy book dealers have become.

I've been going to Stoneridge for about 16 years. There are aggressive, rude, loud and smelly people there, but I look forward to it every year.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2006 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

I would buy anything by Rumer Godden, but especially her children's books. I've enjoyed all of her children's books, but not always the adult books. She lived an interesting life (childhood in India) and converted to Catholicism later in her life.

Book sales are the best. Enjoy!!!!!

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Caroline

I don't have any suggestions, but I hope you will post your finds! I hope you have a great booksale!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Hey Jenn -- if you find any great ones that you already have -- post 'em for those of us too far away to head to book-mecca.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 07 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Jenn and Maddie,
I had never heard of this sale until a few weeks ago. Is it really worth the trip? Are there good prices and plenty of children's books, or mostly adult books? Also, from what Maddie wrote, it looks like there are different, separate booksellers represented in booths or something, instead of just one large book sale. Is that so?

Thanks for any info.

And Jenn,
Don't forget to look for Elizabeth Goudge titles, if you haven't read most of hers already. I loved Scent of Water, The Dean's Watch, and the Damerosehay trilogy: The Bird in the Tree, Herb of Grace, and Heart of the Family. Happy shopping, Jenn!

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Stoneridge School of the Sacred Heart is in Bethesda, MD. No booths, two huge gym size rooms lined with tables and tables and tables of books. They are a little pricer than they used to be but there are always great finds to be had. One nice thing about this sale is that they continue to replenish the tables the first day so even if you don't get there at 3 am and are one of the first ones through the door, like I used to, you can still find some great books. They have a great selection of Catholic books and a large selection of children's. The sale runs through the weekend, but the first day is always the best. Like I said before, it is a very aggresive atmosphere. I've had books yanked out of my hand, been shoved, and cursed at. All that said, I would go again if I wasn't a days drive away! Watch out for the woman who never wears shoes!

The book dealers I referred to are the aggresive ones who will scoop up arm loads of books at a time and trample you if you get in the way. They are always at the front of the line and their fervor usually dies down after the first half hour. Then you have to watch out for those aggresive homeschool moms!

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

So Jenn -- Whaddya get?

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

threesilosfarm wrote:
Watch out for the woman who never wears shoes!

Oh, she was there in all her glory! We joke that to prepare for the sale you need to not bathe or shave or wear deodorant for a few days to blend in with the crowd.

Having been for so many years, you recognize some people over time...make character sketches in your mind.

teachingmom wrote:
I had never heard of this sale until a few weeks ago. Is it really worth the trip? Are there good prices and plenty of children's books, or mostly adult books? Also, from what Maddie wrote, it looks like there are different, separate booksellers represented in booths or something, instead of just one large book sale. Is that so?

Irene, I'm sorry for not answering sooner. I'd say it is and it isn't worth the trip. It's the thrill of the hunt and unpredictability of what's out there. Maddie's description is right on. The children's books are plentiful, loosely divided into categories such as hardback, paperback, classics, board, comics, series...but as the day wears on, it's all mixed together. There are two rows of about 5-7 tables each filled with books, with restocking.

Over the years, the prices have gone up. The prices are a bit comparable to going to Richard McKay used books...some books (like hardcover picture, newer) might be found for less than eBay. Average price for small paperbacks, 1.00. I bought the Narnia series, pieced together for 1.00 a book this year. Hardbacks seemed to range from a low 2.00 to 8.00, with 8.00 being the extreme.

Adult book prices also vary. I used to find great religious classics, by old publishers like Sheed and Ward...authors like von Hildebrand, Sheen, Sheed, Guardini, Adam, Von Zeller.... It's been years since I've been that lucky. Now my finds are usually books in print, like from Ignatius, Sophia, with reduced prices than buying on Amazon.

Since you've been collecting and teaching it might be harder to find specific books...but my sister and I (and my cousins) have never left empty handed. I've found great children's books, both older and newer....but there is a lot of twaddle to wade through, too. Religion section is hit and miss.

Jen L wrote:
So Jenn -- Whaddya get?

I had a wonderful day, but my energy level was a bit low, so I didn't do too much hunting. I didn't have the energy to peruse adult fiction. Maybe next year. Religion was a HUGE disappointment...

I spent more money this year and it seems fewer books. Most of my selection was picture books, hardback. I'm thrilled with our finds. My tastes have branched out. It's to all your wonderful suggestions on this board that I was able to recognize titles and authors quickly and easily. You ladies(and Tim) are such a goldmine!

I found 5 Lent/Easter books:
The Very First Easter by Paul L. Maier
The Tale of Three Trees by Angela Elwell Hunt
The Easter Story by Carol Heyer
Journey to Easter by Carolyn Bergt -- this has gorgeous pictures, but it's a "counting" book for Holy Week and Easter. I'll give more details in the Living Faith thread.
Peter Cottontail's Easter Book by Lulu Delacre. Before you shout "Twaddle!" I was surprised to find such beautiful illustrations and examples of egg crafts and Easter symbols, with the religious themes mentioned.

6 Jan Brett books
3 Tomie de Paola books, plus an older one he illustrated The Mountains of Quilt
Different Children's Art books or study, such as two Sister Wendy, other living art books like Katie Meets the Impressionists and Philippe in Monet's Garden.

Various others, such as The Handmade Alphabet, Peter Spier's Circus, The Keeping Quilt, Grandfather's Journey, On Market Street (Lobel) (DS LOVES!), A Gift from St. Nicholas, Brother Wolf of Gubbio....

I found a few Molly Katzen books and some piano songbooks that I will enjoy playing, including a lovely lullaby collection.

Chronicles of Narnia in paperback
Francis and Clare
Benedict of the Hills
Betsy and Tacy
Lives of the Saints YOu Should Know (Bunson)

A few other odds and ends, like some gardening, homekeeping, allergy cookbooks...Ds is LOVING the books, and so am I. I did have some other finds, like some Landmark and Vision, but didn't end up purchasing, as I was over my budget!

The best part of the day was that Rachel May came and met me there!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I'm jealous! What a fun day!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2006 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jenn
Just found your thread here
Wow, I's so thrilled for you what fun, thought you said religious books were disappointing, sounds like you found lots of religious picture books. Gee we'd never find books like that at our sales.

So how did you and Rachel May know each other? Were you both being aggressive hs mums and tussling over a book?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2006 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
Wow, I's so thrilled for you what fun, thought you said religious books were disappointing, sounds like you found lots of religious picture books. Gee we'd never find books like that at our sales.

There's a religion section, mostly adult books. I usually tackle that section first, and I've had great luck in the past....that's the part that was lacking this year.

Erin wrote:
So how did you and Rachel May know each other? Were you both being aggressive hs mums and tussling over a book?

Rachel lives in MD and came out to Manassas one day with one of her children similar age as my ds. I loaned a snowsuit for her little one, since she was just from Hawaii and this climate was a little much! It was delightful to meet her in person. I told her about the sale and she met me there.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2006 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Duh, saw Rumer Godden and thought this thread was about her books!    I came to check it out tonight since I'm putting In This House of Brede in my hospital bag along with a printout of the castle thread.   

Yep, Jenn tried to put me into labor, but it didn't take (sadly). I didn't meet any aggressive, cursing, shoeless, stinky people, but that would explain the incredulity of the lady who I handed a DaVinci kid's art book that I had and she was interested in!

I thought it was great, but what really helped was Jenn's advice to pray for what I wanted! I found a great copy of Castle by David MacCauley for $1, a bunch of other castle books, some kids' classics, a nice copy of Good King Wenceslas illustrated by Christopher Manson, some just for fun books, and a kids' dictionary for a total of about $45. What a great metro ride home. I can't wait for next year.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version