Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Trains & Railroads Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

OK - we don't seem to have a true thread devoted to trains and railroads. How can that be? Nothing is more classic that the love of trains for little boys. Anyway, I just ran across a lovely train picture book and wanted to add it to a thread. Since there isn't a train titled thread, I'm staring one and linking the one on from the picture book index - Riding the Rails: A-Z - which did have several train recommendation-themed links added to it when Stef and Melinda compiled the great index.

That list included these recommendations:
stefoodie wrote:
Mr. Lincoln's Whiskers
The Story of Holly and Ivy
Abraham Lincoln Comes Home
kingvozzo wrote:
the original Thomas stories are very nice. We actually wore out our first copy, and my older son never saw the show (or the movie--Magic Railroad--which came out when he was about 2 or so) and did not suffer from the lack of it.   Original Thomas the Tank Engine Stories
If I recall, they do use the word stupid, and "shut up" I think (both no-nos in our house), but that's easy to edit out with a pre-reader. Plus, each story in the book is short. I think there's 48 of them.

DK Big Book of Trains- not a story book, but my train-loving boys (once upon a time) loved this!
The Goodnight Train - a cute bedtime book for your littles!
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo -- almost every little boy I know who loves/d trains loves/d this book! Rhymes + trains = unbeatable combination
Choo Choo - and how can you not love this one, another classic from Virginia Lee Burton?
MaryM wrote:
Ten Mile Day: The Building of the Transcontinental Railroad

The new one I want to add is:
The Last Train - Wendall Minor

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I will mention how much I love the illustrations of Wendall Minor. He does not disappoint here. Lovely, vibrant illustrations that evoke a bygone era of the railroad. That is the theme of the book for sure. It is an illustrated version of a 2005 song written by Gordon Titcomb. It starts with a picture of a little boy in front of a boarded up railroad station.
"If you close your eyes and listen, you can almost hear the sound of those big iron horses rolling into town."
Illustrated lyrics show glimpses of the heyday of rail and its decline. Very nostalgic book.

Some classic favorites from my boys toddler days (oh, my where does the time go ?):
The Little Train (Lois Lenski)
Freight Train (Donald Crews)
The Little Engine That Could (Watty Piper)
...and Virginia Lee Burton's Choo Choo mentioned above.

And of course they loved Thomas the Tank engine in his heyday...though I thought them to be "twaddly" - kids love them.

So what are your favorite train and railroad books?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

This is definitely a list I need! My son is really into trains! Thanks for posting!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Bill Peet is loved in our house as one of the no-fail family favorites and he has a couple train books:

The Caboose who got Loose

and Smokey

Both are great stories and enjoyed by my boys.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 1:12am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Trains - by Lynn Curlee

Lynn Curlee writes and illustrates some great historical themed picture books. They are longer text so very thorough on the topic covered. This one is a must for any train enthusiast. From the invention of the locomotive to its modern form, the book covers 200+ years of rail history and travel. Bold, bright graphics add to the enjoyment of the book.

Another historic look at trains is Steam, Smoke, and Steel: Back in Time with Trains by Patrick O'Brien

Also an enjoyable and informative book on the train told as a fictional story of a boy looking back in his family's history to their work on the rails.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2012 at 2:54am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Stourbridge Lion: America's First Locomotive (Karl Zimmerman)

Two Little Trains (Margaret Wise Brown)

Seymour Simon's Book of Trains (Seymour Simon)

Casey Jones's Fireman: The Story of Sim Webb (Nancy Farmer)
Casey Jones (Allan Drummond)

Kate Shelley Bound for Legend (Robert San Souci)

Here COmes the Train (Charlotte Voake)

Coolies (Yin)

Our Domestic Church

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 12 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

I'm going to be busy sifting through so many suggestions!

We had The Caboose Who Got Loose years ago, but got rid of it. We called it The Suicidal Train book.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2012 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Oh, I like this, Mary! I am planning out our summer, and I want to take the boys through their grandparents careers, countries of origen, etc. My grandfather was a train engineer, and I honestly never knew that there was any other kind of engineer until I was in 5th grade or so! All those kids who said, "Oh, my dad is an engineer.." I thought they all drove trains!

We love "The Caboose Who Got Loose!"

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Some train/railroad stories from the Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact Catholic comic books.

All Aboard: The Story of the Railroad part 1
All Aboard: The Story of the Railroad part 2
All Aboard: The Story of the Railroad part 3

Band of Steel

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Country Crossing by Jim Ayelsworth and illustrated by Ted Rand. Lovely book that captures the time and experience waiting at a railroad crossing.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I mentioned in another thread, I'm going to be putting this new book in multiple sections. This is its most fitting category as it is fundamentally a train book. Tells the story of the transcontinental railroad.

Locomotive

Author/illustrator, Brian Floca, is amazing. I have thoroughly enjoyed his amazing picture books. This one probably tops the list for me - cute story, thorough history coverage, rich language and engaging illustrations. It has very extensive author notes outside of the story - some that cover the history of getting people and mail form coast to coast and basics of steam engines and steam power - all with the same style of amazing illustrations as are in the main text.

It tells the story of a family traveling from St. Louis to California to meet up with their miner father. It covers each leg of the journey with great insight in the the history, the terrain, the engineering, the travel experience, and the train itself. Much of the geographic area covered in the transcontinental railroad is a stretch our family has covered many, many times traveling to Oregon (via Wyoming & Utah) and to California. Every place is familiar to me - yet I learned SO MUCH from this book and it made me curious to explore further these locations on the railroad (which were also on the pioneer trials of the mid 1800's).

Definitely a treasure for the train enthusiast.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version