Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: history DVDs that rock your world Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 02 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I know there are a ton of history DVD threads out there coordinating various movies to various historical eras... But I'd like to start a thread that lists only the BEST OF THE BEST history DVD's. I'm talking about the rock stars of living history.
These can be ANY time and place, any genre (documentary, docudrama, historical fiction), WHATEVER as long as they grab you by the heart and transport you to some place in time and leave you with a real sense of what that place/time was all about.
They can also be for any age group, just specify, esp if they are for older high school only by putting 16+ beside the title.
My examples would be:
Hotel Rwanda (16+): Gut wrenching depiction of the genocide in that area.
Black Hawk Down (16+): Heartbreaking. Left me with such a greater appreciation for all our troops go through.
Gettysburg (the one with Jeff Daniels)(12+): Wow. Just Wow. The Civil War in all it's trial and triumph. No sugar coating.
The Crossing (8+): A wonderful depiction of George Washington at a significant turning point in the American Revolution. Leaves you really admiring the man and his leadership.

I can think of many more, but hopefully these examples will give you a good idea of what I am looking for. I'd love to hear about history DVDs that ROCK YOUR WORLD!!!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, and they don't have to be all gloom and doom, blood and guts to be ROCKIN'.
Movies like Pride and Prejudice (whichever version floats your boat) that give an excellent feeling for a specific era are also exactly what I'm looking for.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Personally, I was impressed with Glory Road. For older students, this is a realistic and eye-opening look at discrimination in the United States and the reasons for the Civil Rights Movement.

Also, I love the Horatio Hornblower series with Ioan Gryffyd (sp?). Really captures authentically life in the British Navy during the early 1800's.

Again, both these are for older teens.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 03 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Saving Private Ryan (16+) This movie really shows the horror of war and the true sacrifice these men and women make. It is very gory with terrible language.

The Longest Day(12+) Shows what happens in the 24 hours of D-Day.

Ben-Hur, Ten Commandments both with Charlton Heston are very enjoyable for the entire family.

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Schindler's List...however even though I have a 16yrold we still haven't decided when she can see it. It left dh and I so drained after watching it, we aren't sure when she'll watch it.

Glory - Civil War, Cinderella Man - Great Depression, All Quiet on the Western Front - WWI, Blood Diamond - Sierra Leone

That's all we got for now! We'll keep thinking!

Oh here is a musical, but we really really like it, and it's pretty informative too, 1776.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Not trying to start a debate, but just throwing this out there for consideration.

I recall listening to Rush Limbaugh one day back when Saving Private Ryan came out. Bear with me because this has nothing to do with politics, lol, I just wanted to be sure to credit. But he was talking about a conversation he had with his dad about realistic war movies. His dad fought in WWII, and I'm pretty sure it was said he was at Normandy during the D-Day invasion.

I can't remember the details, but basically the reaction I took away was that his dad didn't like for war movies to be so horrifically realistic in their depictions. He felt he fought in order to save his children from the horrors of war and thought no one should be subjected to it that wasn't forced to.

I have no idea what the line is that makes something too realistic. I think that many of the older war movies (like The Longest Day or Battle of Britain) do an excellent job of letting you know enough of what they went through to appreciate it without being traumatized yourself (I've had images from movies haunt me for years and years).

Anyway, since Kacky mentioned discerning whether she would allow her 16 year old to see Schindler's List, I thought I would throw that out for consideration in the discernment process. Given my own sensitivity, I felt his perspective gave me permission to be sensitive, if that makes sense. That part of a soldier's sacrifice is to shield others from many horrors and that I wasn't devaluing that sacrifice by avoiding vivid imagery from it.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Excellent suggestions! Love them all!
Keep them coming!

I thought of a few more:

Master and Commander
Grapes of Wrath
Pearl Harbor
Gandhi
Born into Brothels (16+) Not so much about the actual brothels as about the struggle to get these children some education.
Slumdog Millionaire (16+) Fantastic depiction of life in the slums of modern India.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

CrunchyMom wrote:
but basically the reaction I took away was that his dad didn't like for war movies to be so horrifically realistic in their depictions. He felt he fought in order to save his children from the horrors of war and thought no one should be subjected to it that wasn't forced to.

Totally agree. If you are sensitive to such imagery, best to stay away.

Please keep in mind that although war movies tend to be very emotionally powerful, and this list may tend to lean heavily that way because they are such a popular genre, they are not necessarily what I am looking for.
For instance, Slumdog Millionaire is not a war movie. But it is a powerful depiction of a time and place and leaves you feeling as if you have in some way experienced that time/place after watching. That's what I am looking for.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

All that said, we like a lot of historic movies here!

Battle of Britain is a favorite. Preview for littles, but our children are able to watch it from a young age.

Another more mature one for language and such but really good is A Bridge Too Far.

My husband just watched one that he loved and we'd never seen, Zulu. It is about the British fighting the Zulus in Africa. Since I haven't seen it, I'm not sure about ages.

There are several really good Dickens novels on film produced by the BBC. They can be pretty dark, but one that is easier for a young audience is Nicholas NIckleby written and directed by the same man who did the Gweneth Paltrow Emma. Not sure it rocked my world, but it was good for many ages;)

We really enjoyed the BBC Mystery series Foyle's War--a real favorite! It can have some mature themes, but as these things go, its rarely graphic. The characters are wonderful, and it is fascinating having a WWII drama depicting the lives of those in the English villages during the war rather than the individual battles and fighting. I would think most people would find it suitable for teenagers.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

lapazfarm wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
but basically the reaction I took away was that his dad didn't like for war movies to be so horrifically realistic in their depictions. He felt he fought in order to save his children from the horrors of war and thought no one should be subjected to it that wasn't forced to.

Totally agree. If you are sensitive to such imagery, best to stay away.

Please keep in mind that although war movies tend to be very emotionally powerful, and this list may tend to lean heavily that way because they are such a popular genre, they are not necessarily what I am looking for.
For instance, Slumdog Millionaire is not a war movie. But it is a powerful depiction of a time and place and leaves you feeling as if you have in some way experienced that time/place after watching. That's what I am looking for.

We really loved The King's Speech.

I also thought that the movie Victoria was just wonderful! I think Suzanne said in the movie thread that she just didn't want it to end, and that was my feeling as well

How Green Was My Valley is very moving as well.

My Man Godfrey is an excellent movie. It is actually a comedy, but it really explores a lot of class issues from the 1920's into the Great Depression era.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

For Pearl Harbor, Tora!Tora!Tora! is very authentic.

Also, I remember liking A Bridge Too Far (about the crossing of the Rhine by the Allies at the end of WWII) a lot when I saw it as a teen. I don't remember details, though, so you might want to preview it. ETA: Just saw Lindsay mentioned this one already!

I have to mention Gone With the Wind for the Civil War. The scene in the railyard of Atlanta with all of the wounded soldiers left a great impression on me of the cost o this bloody.

Dr. Zhivago, basically a love story, but also dealing with the Russian Revolution and the takeover of the Communists. Some morally problematic content.

Sergeant York for WWI.

ETA: Another one similar to Zulu is The Four Feathers. Very intense, though. Definitely for older teens. Deals with the British efforts to colonize Africa.

The Wind and the Lion is a favorite here which even younger students can watch (maybe 9 and up). It recounts an episode during the presidency of Teddy Roosevelt when a Berber kidnapped an American woman and America sent the Great White Fleet to rescue her. It was the first instance of the projection of American might overseas. The defeat of the Barbary pirates also was one of Teddy Roosevelt's significant accomplishments.
Nice for mom, too, with Sean Connery and Candice Bergen!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'm going to recommend the American Girl historic movies (Felicity, Samantha, Kit and Molly) While they're not totally realistic.. they give a nice glimp of the era and are appropriate for all ages. They are nice stories and you care about the characters. I think of them as a gentle introduction to some of the things that happened. Not too much for the younger kids and something that you can build on in the future. And I find it easier to learn history when I have that sort of background so that things aren't totally new. For instance.. seeing the little bit about how poorly the factory workers were treated in Samantha, makes it easier to learn more about how they were treated and why when the kids are old enough for the harsher reality of it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

The Lion in Winter about Henry II and his family with Kathryn Hepburn. Definitely for older teens. The younger children just wouldn't get it.

I just checked wikipedia and the movie is NOT historical.
Waaaaaaaaahhhhhh! I love that movie!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Man for All Seasons about St. Thomas More. One of my absolute favorites.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wow Lindsay, I'm going to be pondering these words all day, powerful thoughts.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JodieLyn wrote:

I'm going to recommend the American Girl historic movies (Felicity, Samantha, Kit and Molly) While they're not totally realistic.. they give a nice glimp of the era and are appropriate for all ages. They are nice stories and you care about the characters. I think of them as a gentle introduction to some of the things that happened. Not too much for the younger kids and something that you can build on in the future. And I find it easier to learn history when I have that sort of background so that things aren't totally new. For instance.. seeing the little bit about how poorly the factory workers were treated in Samantha, makes it easier to learn more about how they were treated and why when the kids are old enough for the harsher reality of it.

I wanted to mention these earlier (seeing as I have a very young group, but felt

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here is my husband's contribution to the Western US time period. These would be his top four:

How the West Was Won
True Grit
Lonesome Dove
The Searchers

Off the top of my head:

THE RECKONING (16+) was FABULOUS showing 14th century England! A great medieval film!

We liked the John Adams HBO miniseries very much.

Sweet Land Immigrant, midwest America. Very slow, but a very beautiful film.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 03 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Amazing Grace (about William Wilberforce)

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

:: All the President's Men . A good introduction and food for thought about journalism, media, politics, etc.

:: For the youngers....pioneer/westerns --Love Comes Softly series.

And, we like the American girl movies as a good introduction into history time periods for the youngers.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh... not sure how accurate they are but the Sarash Plain and Tall movies are nice

Sarah Plain and Tall
Skylark
Winter's End

probably not for young kids but not inappropriate for them if that makes sense.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version