Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: St. Patrick’s Day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2005 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it .

Every March we listen to Seal Maiden: A Celtic Musical. Other than that, we dont' have any solid St. Pat's traditions. We do the wearin' o' the green and dying whatever we eat green . This year, though, we've added a Patrick of our own to the family and I know there are more than a few of you with Patricks, too. How do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2005 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

Molly Smith wrote:
How do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

This year dd and I have decided to make the Green Mint Crinkles cookies from the _Honest Pretzel_ cookbook. Looks like a sugar cookie recipe with added 2 tsp. peppermint extract and a 2 oz. jar of green cake decoration crystals.

I am going to use those window markers (left over from Christmas) to write Happy St. Patrick's Day in green on their bedroom mirrors. Cay Gibson gave me the idea to die the toilet bowl water green.

Hope someone more creative comes along

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I picked up two new St. Patrick's Day books, The Leprechauns Gold and Brigids Cloak. They are both very good .
My little ones also design a Leprechaun trap and set it out the night before. On St. Patrick's Day they find some gold coins left behind near the trap.
Enchanted Learning has some ideas for crafts and such.
Then we always have corned beef and mashed taters.

This week MacKenzie and Carter will be visiting their grandparents in Florida so we will celebrate early.

Have fun!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

The kids usually do a (pre-planned) pub crawl, playing at local bars and K of C parties. They have been doing this for eyars, and they are well-recieved. We also march in at least one parade.

When I was a kid, we always went to my grandmother's aunt's house in Southie to watch the parade. She was our last living relative who had been born over there. Back then, before TV, EVERYONE ion the family palyed music. I have pictures of them all with instruments for weekly get-togethers (yeah, I know the Irish word, but I can't spell in English...if I start trying Gaelic I will loose all credibility!). Once TV became popular no one played any more, with a few exceptions. Now the family is experienceing a rebirth, with everyone playing again.

This year, Libby and Trip have been working on improvising Celtic style duets for cello and violin. It should be wonderful.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 14 2005 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

My Patrick doesn't know it yet, but I think he'll be in Ireland for St. Patrick's Day. Don't know how I'll ever top that....
Oh, and we never have corned beef and cabbage because my kids pick their dinner on feast days and birthdays and he never picks corned beef

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2005 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
My Patrick doesn't know it yet, but I think he'll be in Ireland for St. Patrick's Day. Don't know how I'll ever top that....

Now how can such a huge trip be planned so short notice? Your family must have all their shots and passports up to date at all times! How wonderful for your son!

A friend of mine used to live in Ireland for many years. He always talked about the contrast of Irish celebration of St. Patrick's Day and the USA's version. St. Patrick's Day is a solemnity, a high feast day. It's more solemn and religious, although admittedly the secularization has creeped in everywhere, but mainly in Dublin and the other larger cities.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 14 2005 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

jenngm67 wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Now how can such a huge trip be planned so short notice? Your family must have all their shots and passports up to date at all times! How wonderful for your son!

My dh is already in England with the three big boys. So...it's not that huge a trip And yes, we have passports up to date and my kids are intrepid travelers. We call them "Daddy Trips" and you go on your first one when you are about five. Mike takes them on a business trip and then they stay and sightsee. Usually it's one child at a time, so they get lots of one-on-one. Europe is an exception though. They are staying with our "eighth child," Bobby Convey, a Major League Soccer player who came to be homeschooled with us when he signed a pro contract at 16. He's since grown up--he's 21 now and playing in England. The irony is that they went over there and then Bobby got called up by the US National Team. So he flew home today. I expect him to walk in the door any minute

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I remember you mentioning Bobby Convey in your book.

I started wondering where are the remains of St. Patrick, and found that they are in Down Cathedral. But I haven't found exactly where is this Down Cathedral!

Anyplace in particular your family will see while they are in Ireland?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version