Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: book cataloging software Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Devoted21
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Devoted21

Does anyone know of a program I could buy/download that would let me catalog all of our books? What I would love is to have our books listed in a system like the library's, where I could search by subject, author, etc. Maybe something where I could add my own tags, too.
Back to Top View Devoted21's Profile Search for other posts by Devoted21

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

May I piggyback this question? When we go to booksales we see dealers using a scanner for the ISBN...like the library uses.

Dh wants something that will scan the ISBN and fill out the information in the database....he doesn't want to type everything out. I don't even know where to begin on looking for information regarding this! What is it called? Is it a standalone, or works with tools like iPhones?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Devoted21
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Devoted21

Hmmmm... What kind of database?

Funny you asked about scanners b/c I just googled "book cataloging software," and I found this barcode scanner. That's the cheapest of three they offer. But I don't really understand whether it works only with that particular software. ???

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Devoted
Well I've shared before, I have, use and LOVE Readerware. It can certainly do all you want, you can also include series, and publisher. Add as many tags as you like.

Jenn, I bought my scanner on ebay, just type in barcode scanner, make sure the 'plug' is compatible with your computer outlets. I'm afraid though as you own many OOP books pre barcodes (sometime in the 1960s) you will have to manually enter alot. But so worth it!! I have just finished all of our library, just have a couple children's bedroom bookcases to go

I'm trying to find a way to share with anyone who is interested but google docs are saying my file is too big. Any suggestions?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I am using Book Crawler as an iPhone app. It scans and catalogs up to 2000 or 3000 books. I sure hope it does! I have about 100 books on it, and I especially like that I figured out how to sort by location (which house), topic, genre and one other parameter. The ISBN scanner has worked well so far. As mentioned above, though, you are out of luck when it comes to older books (pre-ISBN). You have to manually input those.

I think it was free?

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Devoted21
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Devoted21

Erin wrote:
Devoted
Well I've shared before, I have, use and LOVE Readerware. It can certainly do all you want, you can also include series, and publisher. Add as many tags as you like.

Jenn, I bought my scanner on ebay, just type in barcode scanner, make sure the 'plug' is compatible with your computer outlets. I'm afraid though as you own many OOP books pre barcodes (sometime in the 1960s) you will have to manually enter alot. But so worth it!! I have just finished all of our library, just have a couple children's bedroom bookcases to go

I'm trying to find a way to share with anyone who is interested but google docs are saying my file is too big. Any suggestions?

That looks awesome! I could probably handle $40, and I see you can try it for free. I can only imagine my children's delight at owning a barcode scanner. They fight to scan my groceries at the store. :)

Devoted21
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Devoted21

stellamaris wrote:
I am using Book Crawler as an iPhone app. It scans and catalogs up to 2000 or 3000 books. I sure hope it does! I have about 100 books on it, and I especially like that I figured out how to sort by location (which house), topic, genre and one other parameter. The ISBN scanner has worked well so far. As mentioned above, though, you are out of luck when it comes to older books (pre-ISBN). You have to manually input those.

I think it was free?

Ohhh, that makes me want an iphone. $1.99 for that app. I don't even have a cell phone.

cathhsmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 06 2011 at 3:17am | IP Logged Quote cathhsmom

I'm a bit late, but Librarything does everything you ask, and is web-based so you can access it from smart phones and online. I think a lifetime membership is $25 plus another $15 for a curcat scanner to make entering the books easier.

It's what we use, and I really like that I can tag books with multiple tags - I tag by grade, subject, series, etc so it's easy to find them. Plus you can manually enter books, so anything without an ISBN {a good half of my collection} is still able to be entered. I also enter my VHS and DVDs with tags for subject.
Back to Top View cathhsmom's Profile Search for other posts by cathhsmom Visit cathhsmom's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2011 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My sister had told me about her IPhone being able to scan. I wanted to know if it could hook up to your own database, to keep it updated. Ideally I'd like to keep things organized in a Spreadsheet (although I used to use Access...but don't have the software now.)

In my mind it seems there could be a tool that could scan and cut and paste an ISBN number. So many of my books have no bar code and dh and I think it would be a LONG process.

The thing about LibraryThing IS that it is web-based -- that is a negative sometimes to me. Sometimes I find that slow and clunky compared to something running on my computer.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2011 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

JennGM wrote:

In my mind it seems there could be a tool that could scan and cut and paste an ISBN number.

Sooo...I'm thinking the "tool" here to enter this info could be my 12 year old!    Would she grow weary too soon I wonder?

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Erin wrote:
Devoted I bought my scanner on ebay, just type in barcode scanner, make sure the 'plug' is compatible with your computer outlets. I'm afraid though as you own many OOP books pre barcodes (sometime in the 1960s) you will have to manually enter alot. But so worth it!! I have just finished all of our library, just have a couple children's bedroom bookcases to go

Erin,
Do you buy one that specifically says for "isbn"? About how much to expect to pay for something like that?

Thanks!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2011 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Kathryn

I typed in barcode scanner into ebay and bought through there, much cheaper, from memory about $30. Just ask about the end (prongs??) that go into your computer make sure they are compatible. rectangle ends vs round ends (sorry my techno gurus are not around to ask correct terms)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

I have used LibraryThingL, an online book catalog, for about six years. Lifetime membership was around $25.00. You can buya barcode scanner from them for around $15 which works with isbn codes and their database.

I love it, and would never switch. Here is a link to my profile maryanntherese

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

onthelane
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 15 2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote onthelane

allegiance_mom wrote:
I have used LibraryThingL, an online book catalog, for about six years. Lifetime membership was around $25.00. You can buya barcode scanner from them for around $15 which works with isbn codes and their database.

I love it, and would never switch. Here is a link to my profile maryanntherese

this looks pretty impressive - both your profile/cataloging and all of the statistics relating your entries to others and lots of other info.

hmmm. I'm going to choose only 1 of these cataloging systems and hope to have no regrets so I will have to learn more...at this point, I don't even know all that I don't know....
Back to Top View onthelane's Profile Search for other posts by onthelane

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2011 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

onthelane wrote:
this looks pretty impressive - both your profile/cataloging and all of the statistics relating your entries to others and lots of other info.

hmmm. I'm going to choose only 1 of these cataloging systems and hope to have no regrets so I will have to learn more...at this point, I don't even know all that I don't know....

I'm still on the fence, too. I keep thinking if I get a Ipod or Iphone that this would work with the my big plan. I'm just afraid of investing in something that won't fill my needs or will be obsolete soon. I make these decisions soooo slowly.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2015 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Reading back through this old discussion

What did you ladies end up buying?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version