Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: The Little Juggler rabbit trail Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 3:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I can't believe the only mention on 4 Real of The Little Juggler - adapted by Barbara Cooney is in Chari's Christmas literature night thread. Nothing here in the picture book thread or anywhere else for that matter. I stumbled on it a few months ago when looking for Barbara Cooney titles I had not seen. This one is an absolute delight.

Le Jongleur de Notre Dame was the miracle story by Anatole France, published in 1892 which was an adaptation of a medieval legend. There have been numerous versions of it adapted since. Cooney's is one. Tomie dePaola's Clown of God is another, clearly the most famous of the picture book versions anyway and the only one I'd seen. But I love this Cooney version. It is appears to be closer to the original. The juggler does not die in this one (oops, spoiler... )

So this all sent me on a rabbit trail. There are lots of cool resources for this often retold story. I'm embarrassed to admit I'm just discovering all this. Many of you may already be familiar with all the versions - print and film. I haven't even ever watched the Juggler of Notre Dame movie - can you believe it?? So I'm going to rectify that.

Another movie version adaptation - The Greatest Gift - 1942

A wonderful little animated version from Terrytoons- Juggler of Our Lady (1958). You can see it on YouTube. It is the animated version of the book, The Juggler of Our Lady: A Medieval Legend by R.O. Blechman in 1953.

There is also a miracle play script written in 1966 - it looks wonderful for a little support group production.

So what do you have to share with me on this Little Juggler of Our Lady rabbit trail? I'm all ears (bunny ears, that is...)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I have not seen that Barbara Cooney book...awesome!

I had a little rabbit trail on this last year because my nephew was doing a report on St. Hermann Joseph and posted a little on my blog regarding "Clown of God". St. Hermann's life was dedicated to a love of the Virgin Mary, and it seems the juggler legend crosses over and dips a little into his life and legends.

He was canonized in 1958 by Pius XII, but most biographies show him as Blessed.

Legend has it Hermann wasn't a juggler, but as a young boy loved Our Lady, and presented an apple to her, which she accepted. Another legend said that he was very poor and she provided shoes for him.

Bl. Herman Joseph, Patron Saints

Herman Joseph

Catholic Encyclopedia

St. Michael's Abbey in Orange, California, is the same Premonstratensian order, and has a window of this saint.

This is Ruth Sawyer's version of the Legend

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Adding this book from Sister Mary Fidelis. I stumbled across it while searching for another older, out of print book of hers...

The Juggler of Notre Dame

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, wonderful! This is exactly what I was hoping for - more connections and resources and fleshing it out. Jenn, I had not dug deep enough to find the St. Hermann connection - totally new info (what I get for not being able to keep up with reading blogs this past year ).

I listed Anatole France as the first written version above - but am finding it was the first written modern version that the rest were taken from. But the first written version seems to be the poetic songs of Gautier de Coincy - 13th century abbot. He set poems he wrote in praise of the Virgin Mary to popular melodies and songs of his day -Les Miracles de Nostre-Dame. I found a cd compilaiton where you can listen to the songs/music. Miracles of Notre-Dame. But I can't tell if the story came from these or something separate - wish I could read French.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
I can't believe the only mention on 4 Real of The Little Juggler - adapted by Barbara Cooney is in Chari's Christmas literature night thread. Nothing here in the picture book thread or anywhere else for that matter. I stumbled on it a few months ago when looking for Barbara Cooney titles I had not seen. This one is an absolute delight.

Just coming back to say that Cooney's adaptation is such a distinct delight! She says in the foreword:
Barbara Cooney wrote:
I went to France to find and draw places where the little juggler might have wandered. I returned with many pictures, many ideas, and photographs of the fragile old manuscript in Paris. I hope that I did justice to this lovely legend.

Her illustrations are simply stunning. Some incorporate a few colors, while most are black and white. The black and white images are some of my favorites, but I love so much how Ms. Cooney uses color to emphasize the story line, and particularly how the use of color brilliantly illustrates the depth and richness at the crescendo of the story.

The story itself is a beautiful and tender adaptation.

The Little Juggler wrote:
"Holy Mary," he prayed, "how can I serve you?"

"Sweet Lady," said he, "to your protection I give myself. Scorn not the only thing I know, for with the help of God I will try to serve in the only way I can. ......... Whatever I am I shall be for you."

Cheerfully did he tumble and cheerfully did he serve.

It's stunning and warm and tender! It has to be one of my favorite new Christmas books.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:

It's stunning and warm and tender! It has to be one of my favorite new Christmas books.

Yes definitely a new "old" favorite here, too! I guess we are both saying, even though it is oop and might be hard to find -- it is worth it. You won't be disappointed. Those quotes Jen posted really struck me too - that is what I love. It is so loving to Our Lady.

Our Domestic Church

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Adding more for you, Mary...from a somewhat unexpected source. I can't express how delightfully surprised I was to stumble across another adaptation, quite possibly my favorite, in pre-reading a book that I am giving to my high schooler for composition.

The Way of the Storyteller by Ruth Sawyer (originally published 1942) is a rich compilation of Ms. Sawyer's joy and the experiences that grew together to form her in her art as a wonderful storyteller. The first half of the book is all about her formation and the art, the beauty in storytelling, as told from her perspective. The second half of the book contains 11 of her stories. One of them leapt out at me - The Juggler of Notre Dame.

You may recognize Ms. Sawyer's name; she has written a few other books that may be familiar to you (and these are just a few):
Journey Cake, Ho! - illustrated by Robert McCloskey
The Christmas Anna Angel - illustrated by Kate Seredy
The Long Christmas - illustrated by Valenti Angelo
Roller Skates - illustrated by Valenti Angelo (Newberry)

I have to say that of all the adaptations I have read, this is probably my favorite, possibly because Ruth Sawyer is, after all, a gifted and amazing storyteller. This adaptation is based on Massenet's opera, and with that knowledge and understanding, you almost see the opera play out in your minds eye. The words are rich, yet understandable, and Ms. Sawyer so captures the tender plight of the little juggler that my heart could not help but be swept up in the story.

I'll give you a taste (from the ending):
Ruth Sawyer wrote:
It is no longer a figure there who smiles - it is the living Mother of Jesus. She leans far down and gathers that small king of the jugglers into Her arms and cradles him. He who has never known cradling knows a mother's arms at last, the close, everlasting blessing they give.

While this isn't a picture book version, it would be an easy one-sitting read aloud, even for younger children.

I find myself wanting so much to further review this wonderful book, The Way of the Storyteller! It's really quite an inspiring read, speaking more to the heart and soul of storytelling, rather than form and method, though there is enough instruction to leave you inspired. Wonderful for a high schooler just finding the world of words and her own style in storytelling. The back of the book contains a treasure - A Story List - Ms. Sawyer's own! Her booklist collection is really quite inspiring (if you love booklists as I do!). Sheesh! I should probably quit blabbing here and go start another thread!!! I probably will when I'm done reading!

Having said all of that, I could not let a moment pass without instantly adding a new version to our growing collection of adaptations of this amazing little gem, The Juggler of Notre Dame!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Fabulous, Jen! I love Ruth Sawyer's way of storywriting. Did you see the connection that she was Robert McCloskey's Mother-in-law?

This book looks fabulous!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Did you see the connection that she was Robert McCloskey's Mother-in-law?

I know! Isn't that an amazing connection!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, saved myself a bit of money for now...my library has it! Yeah!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I absolutely this thread.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I found another resource for the Juggler! This is only a short story, but delightful writing as always by Joan Windham.

Her collected stories, Story Library of the Saints in 3 volumes, or Sixty Saints for Boys and Sixty Saints for Girls have the same saints. These were all compiled from her smaller collections, like Six O'Clock Saints and More Six O'Clock Saints.

Anyway, she has Barnabas of Compiegne, who is also known as Barnabas the Juggler or Our Lady’s Juggler. He's not declared a saint, but died in 1642 A.D. in France.

She also has St. Hermann Joseph, so both stories can be compared -- you can see how there is definitely blurring of these stories.

All her books are sadly out of print, so if you ever come across a copy, definitely grab it. Even though I have several different of her books which have repeats of the same saints, I'm reluctant to part with them because each has different and unique illustrators -- and I like them all1

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This short story is in all the books you mentioned, Jenn?

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
This short story is in all the books you mentioned, Jenn?

Both Barnabas and Hermann Joseph are in Volume I of Story Library of the Saints and Sixty Saints for Boys. Barnabas is in Six O'Clock Saints.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Thanks Jenn.

This thread popping up again reminded me of something else to post. At our homeschool conference this summer, we had a great new speaker, Cathie Baier, from Minnesota. She did a talk called "Socrates Meets Homeschool Mom." It was a how-to for doing socratic book discussions with young students. The example she worked through with the audience as participants was Tomie de Poala's Clown of God. It was great. The cd is available here and a handout to fill out with it here.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Some art appreciation to go with the rabbit trail:

The Juggle of Notre Dame, artist: French School, not sure of the year

Our Domestic Church

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I've been building my Advent plans based on the great ideas in this thread. I found several more books to add.

** Our Lady's Juggler by Vincent Arthur Yzermans (1974)

** The Book of Virtues for Young People compiled by William Bennett contains the Anatole France version of The Juggler of Notre Dame (p. 352)

** The Little Juggler and Other French Tales Retold by Violet Moore Higgins. Interestingly, her revisions also appeared again in this little book, French Fairy Tales

** The Little Juggler by Marcy Ramsey (features one pop-up page)

** The World's 100 Best Short Stories: Courage - Volume VI Funk and Wagnalls (1927) - contains Our Lady's Juggler, and is probably the Anatole France version, but I'm not sure.

** Our Lady's Juggler: An antique legend as retold for the air by Alexander Woollcott (1937). This version is very rare and I had so much trouble tracking it down, but I did finally find it! It was republised in an October 1941 Reader's Digest WWII Wartime edition/compilation which you can still find used. On the Reader's Digest book it is simply listed as Twice Told Tales by Alexander Woollcott. I am so doing the happy dance after searching and searching and finally finding this version of our little story! I can't wait to read it!

** An Adaptation of the Story of Our Lady's Juggler by Thomas McCabe (1951) - I have only found out a little about this book, and what I've found piques my curiosity more. The book is rare and hard to find. There are 6 color illustrations by Raymond Lufkin and I found a couple of places that state that McCabe's adaptation was privately printed for friends of the Newberry Award winning illustrator, Lufkin. That's just a guess though, but it would explain why the book is fairly rare and hard to find. I'm very curious to read this book as I finally tracked down an affordable copy.

Music
** Le Jongleur de Notre Dame produced by Peter Davies.
Quote:
Le Jongleur de Notre Dame of 1978 is from an important period of Davies' work. Written and scored for his special ensemble of that time, The Fires of London, it is a virtuoso theater-piece. The libretto, here by the composer, is based on the French tale by Anatole France about a juggler who performs his act before the Virgin Mary and gains her blessing. In Le Jongleur, the juggler is a mime with musical counterparts. The narrative is carried by The Abbot (a baritone), and other brothers represented by the flute, clarinet and percussion. This cheerfully unpretentious work opens and closes with an Overture and Recessional performed by a children's band, who march in (and out), to great sonic effect, of the church where the recording took place.

Jules Massenet's Opera :: Le Jongleur de Notre Dame
** Several options at Amazon for Massenet's opera Le Jongleur de Notre Dame

** Here is a helpful synopsis of the opera.

** Archive.org has a free version of this opera which would make a very simple playet. The opera is written so that the french is on the left facing page and the English is on the right facing page. Here is the version which is easy to read/preview online.

** Youtube video - Jesus Garcia sings Massenet's Le Jongleur de Notre Dame. Act III in the chapel of the monastery on the day of the Ascension of the Blessed Virgin.

* * :: * :: * *

I'm not sure how many of these adaptations really focus on the gift of self and the great love of Our Lady as Barbara Cooney's adaptation does so well. Please share if you've seen or read any of these. And Mary, I know you've got to have more ideas for activities to do with a focus on The Little Juggler. I hope to spend a good deal of time on this focus for Advent, so PLEASE share any other ideas besides bringing out our Klutz Juggling set.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
The Juggler of Our Lady: A Medieval Legend by R.O. Blechman in 1953.

And, if you read French - Le Jongleur de Notre Dame is the same adaptation by Blechman in French.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Found another fun little addition to this trail...

In the 1940's, Holy Cross priest, Father Patrick Peyton, persuaded the Mutual Broadcasting Company network to give him a free half-hour for a program to pray for and support families. It was an extension of the Family Rosary Crusade he had founded as a way to promote family prayer. The Family Theater radio series, which featured hundreds of famous actors, was broadcast on the Mutual Broadcasting System from 1947 to 1969, making it one of the longest running weekly dramatic radio programs in history. Great fun - especially if you are fond of old radio program broadcasts.

One of the programs broadcast that first year was The Juggler of Our Lady - broadcast 12/25/47      with John Charles Thomas, John Nesbit, Irene Dunne. The description reads: A French folk tale about a poor ignorant juggler giving Our Lady and Her Son the only gift he had. The link here is to an mp3 of the broadcast that you can listen to.

Really enjoyable - especially if you enjoy the old radio serials.

It also was made into a record - an old 78 rpm. A Christmas Gift: The Story of the Juggler of Our Lady

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Too many choices!!! Love all this!

But, what would be your top three versions?

Cooney, Fidelis, and Sawyer?

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version