Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Blog Q&A: How much time to blog? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:49am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I am thinking about starting a blog, to the point where I had dh looking over Typepad's website last night ... I am wondering, though, how much time does it take "to blog?" Is it hard to keep up with? Do you set a specific time of day, or an amount of time, to work on it daily?

It seems like it might take a good chunk of time to get it all set up, but, maybe it's more managable after that?

Also, another question ... I notice most of your blogs have links to other blogs. Do I need to ask permission to do this (contact each blog host/hostess) or is it OK to just go ahead and list them?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

WEll Dawn, for me I'm spending so much time on this forum today I haven't had time to blog yet Just kidding, it's really not as much time as you think once it's all set up. It kind of depends on your personality and how much you enjoy fiddling around with your new venture. For me, it's a personal journalling system as well as a way for me to express what we're trying to do for our children with home education. (Don't know if it comes across that way or not ) but that's the premise for me any way at the current moment! I know there will be other great responses from this wonderful group!!

Oh and for what it's worth, I REALLY like Typepad, but that's only cause I'm not very techno-savvy (is that a word, Lissa??) Have fun on exploring and discerning it's been a real blessing for me!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Meredith, thank you very much for your encouragement! Wonderful blogs like yours have been my inspiration!

Meredith wrote:
It kind of depends on your personality and how much you enjoy fiddling around with your new venture.

YEARS ago I was a food writer for a local newspaper. I haven’t written much since having my babies (not that I’ve ever minded) but I’ve found that these days, when I e-mail someone, or when I post here, I tend to get very … shall we say, wordy. Lately, I am remembering my love for writing, for words and thoughts well-expressed, and well, it just seemed like a blog might be a nice way to journal *and* keep in touch with family and friends.

Meredith wrote:
I know there will be other great responses from this wonderful group!!

Hope so! I'm eager to learn more about blogging, especially how other moms fit it into an already busy life!

Meredith wrote:
Oh and for what it's worth, I REALLY like Typepad

I have a Typepad account set up now and dh and I will fiddle around with it this evening ... when I get my blog all set up (and when I feel a little braver ) I will add it to my signature and ask for all your opinions!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Can't wait to see it, how exciting for you!!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Dawn,
It all depends on what you're spurned to write.
Sometimes something comes to you fast and furious and is typed in a minute. Sometimes you just want to share something you found elsewhere on the web. Zip.

Other times, something has to brew in your mind awhile and you write it in spurts and jags.

Typepad has a "Draft" option where you can save those posts until you have time to finish your thought process. Great for frequent interruptions.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Dawn, I didn't ask for permission before I linked to others.... just assumed they would be flattered as I always am when someone links to mine.... I'm a newbie too so I don't know for sure, but I do notice the more experienced bloggers like Cay who have links to my blog didn't ask my permission, so that tells me it's probably OK.

I did learn only after making a blunder the first time, that when you find on someone else's blog a link to an article or comment you want to link to in your blog post, you are supposed to give credit to the original blogger -- by saying "hat tip to....X" or something similar.   You'll probably see those for yourself once you start reading blogs, but I jumped in feetfirst and didn't pick up all the nuances right away

I go in cycles with my blog -- don't post for a while then spend hours reading other peoples' blogs and making my own posts. I have been doing that recently as Meredith can vouch for so I need to fall back again for a while.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Welcome to the blogroll, Dawn! I'll add your site to my 4Real blogs sidebar whenever you're ready to go public.

As for how much time blogging takes, it's all up to you. I try to get up early in the morning and do my blogging before the kids wake up. Either that, or I write posts late at night. I try to have at least a short post on my main blog every day, because fresh content is what keeps people coming back.

But I have a second blog just for scribbling hasty notes about our daily learning experiences--my version of a homeschooling log book or journal--and that one (which I recently moved to my Typepad site) frequently sits neglected for days or weeks at a stretch. It's just a place for me to keep records of how we're spending our time, and since I enjoy looking at other people's daily home learning notes, I've made mine public as well. It is probably of little interest to anyone but me!

I'd guess I spend 1-2 hrs a day on my main blog (see link below).
But there's no reason anyone HAS to spend that much time. I do it because I enjoy it and because it saves me time in the long run--I used to spend a lot more time answering individual emails from Little House readers and homeschooling curriculum seekers. Now when many people write in with the same question, I can answer them all at once.

I've been on Typepad for over a year now & am happy to help if you have any questions while you're learning the ropes. Also, if anyone wants ideas for how to build traffic, use RSS feeds, etc, I'm always up for a good blog-tech discussion! I'm still learning the tricks of the trade myself, but I've come a long way this past year.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Dawn wrote:
Also, another question ... I notice most of your blogs have links to other blogs. Do I need to ask permission to do this (contact each blog host/hostess) or is it OK to just go ahead and list them?

Yup, link freely to anything you like, no permission needed. People love to be linked to!

Which reminds me--if there are any of you 4Realers whose blogs I *don't* have in my 4Real Blogroll (scroll down my left sidebar), please let me know--I'd love to add you.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

WJFR wrote:
Dawn, I didn't ask for permission before I linked to others.... just assumed they would be flattered as I always am when someone links to mine....

Like Willa, I'm flattered as well...
With 30 Million blogs out there, who wouldn't be flattered with the hat tips and links.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thank you all very much for your thoughts and the great advice!

I'm having so much *fun* setting this thing up! I must have spent the better portion of the day playing around with it. Poor dh came home to burning rice, hungry kids, and his wife glued to the computer.

Lissa, when I get up the guts to go public, I would be honored to have you add my link to the Blog Roll.

Thanks all!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am frustrated with blogging right now, but that is only because I've been so occupied with switching my blog to a new site. Normally I love it. It doesn't take too long, depending on what I want to enter. Being on dial-up means uploading photos takes forever, but I just use the time to open up another window and check out everyone else's blogs!
Have fun!

Oh, and here is my new blog address:Lapazfarm
Please visit! I will get my signature line updated with the new address shortly.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2006 at 4:57am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

lapazfarm wrote:
Oh, and here is my new blog address:Lapazfarm
Please visit! I will get my signature line updated with the new address shortly.

Theresa, it looks great! Is homeschooljournal a new blog server? (I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology.)

I have yet another blogging question ... you all use great photos within your blogs. I know how to upload our own family pictures, but where do you get other images (like holy cards and art-reproductions etc.)? Are these images you scan in or do you find them on the web?

Thanks for any help!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Dawn. Homeschooljournal is a brand new FREE, no-ads blog host set up by Andrea and Ron at Atypical homeschool. Andrea has been so extremely helpful to me in getting mine switched over. At this point I think it is by invite only, but if you are interested I have a couple of invites I could send. You can also go to their blog for more info, and send an email to get an invite from them.
Atypical Homeschool

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2006 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Dawn, for images, try a Google Image Search or visit the Flickr photo site. You have to make sure an image is not under copyright, though. Reproductions of old paintings are usually in the public domain. Book cover images are always public domain--the publisher WANTS the image to get as much exposure as possible.

It's also nice to credit the source of the image with a link, if possible. (I don't bother for book covers, but for art reproductions I try to remember to.) You can make the image itself be the link, if you want.

Oh, and it's important to always upload the image to your own server--you don't want to be hijacking someone else's bandwidth. For example, if I want to use an image, I first download it to my computer and then upload it into the Files section of my Typepad control panel.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thanks for all the information, Lissa. I'm such a newbie at all this, but I have been nicely surprised by how easy it all seems to set up and manage.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2006 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my questions while I got my blog underway!

Lissa wrote:
Welcome to the blogroll, Dawn! I'll add your site to my 4Real blogs sidebar whenever you're ready to go public.

Thanks Lissa! I was just going to post and let you know my blog was up and "ready", when I saw you had added it to the Roll! Thanks to Meredith too, especially for all your encouragement!    

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

I caught Meredith's announcement this afternoon. Welcome aboard! Give me a holler if you need any Typepad advice.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version