Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Jesse Tree Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

( I WILL be organized, I WILL start early....)

Does anyone have a favorite Jesse Tree resource they'd like to share? We bit the bullet and got a fake tree last year, and I'd like to put it up at the beginning of advent, and do the Jessee tree through Advent, and decorate the tree on Christmas Eve.

Me and my big ideas.

Can anyone reccommend a Jesse Tree "kit" that has the ornaments all ready to go with the corresponding Bible verses right there that isn't too expensive? If its not easy, it won't get done!

TIA!!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The wonderful and talented Vee at Paperdali has a Jesse tree ornament set you can download and print for free.

The ornaments are very nice, and you can color them and back them with cardstock or festive Christmas paper. The bible verses are included.

I ordered a kit from Illuminated Ink last year, but this year I am using Vee's.
I really like the pictures she uses.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I have one that will be available later this week (just finishing up the last few designs tonight - and putting together the booklet on Wednesday).

I have wooden circle "ornaments" with the symbol either penciled or wood-burned on (paint or not, as you please) - as well as felt circles with the symbol another piece of felt glued on.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

I was just going to recommend using my free ones ... and then saw that Melinda mentioned them. Cool. Thanks, Melinda!

And, yep, they have the Scripture verse and number right on them underneath each picture.

I made these because I kept losing the pages with Scripture numbers and/or the pictures.

Enjoy!

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I saw this "jewelry" tree at Costco today and automatically thought "Jesse Tree"!

It has steel branches and a cast iron base w/an antique bronze colored finish and is 15 in. tall. It's was $20.

I was going to make one but I just went with easy and I know I will be glad I did.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

that will be lovely Michele

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Very cool, Michele. It is perfect for the image of the root Jesse in my mind.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 16 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

Michele,

What a great find! I'd eventually like to get something similar that I can sit on the dining table, next to the Advent candles.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I've got some Jesse Tree Links posted on Catholic Icing. One comes from Catholic Artworks as a free printable from Catechist magazine, but I had to take the link down because it's for "Catechist Magazine Readers Only". So if you want to find that one, you'll have to click through the Catechist Magazine site. Look under "Catechist Keyboard"... only if you're a Catechist Magazine reader of course.

We're going to use a fake tree I still have kicking around from my dorm room days for hanging the ornaments.

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Anne McD wrote:
(We bit the bullet and got a fake tree last year, and I'd like to put it up at the beginning of advent, and do the Jesse tree through Advent, and decorate the tree on Christmas Eve.

This is TOTALLY what we do. It is very do-able
It makes Christmas Eve easier in that the tree is already up and has lights on it...no rushing around, just fun decorating.

Enjoy!
Christine

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

cvbmom wrote:
Anne McD wrote:
(We bit the bullet and got a fake tree last year, and I'd like to put it up at the beginning of advent, and do the Jesse tree through Advent, and decorate the tree on Christmas Eve.

It makes Christmas Eve easier in that the tree is already up and has lights on it...no rushing around, just fun decorating.

Enjoy!
Christine

I would love to do that, but I don't think I can handle decorating a tree on Christmas Eve! How does that work? Do you cut the tree before that and let it hang out in the yard for awhile? When I was a little girl, we always decorated the tree on St. Nicholas day while we were waiting for our shoes to be filled. I need to make a decision for my family. I wasn't exposed to the real "waiting" aspect of Advent until I was an adult.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lacy wrote:
I've got some Jesse Tree Links posted on Catholic Icing. One comes from Catholic Artworks as a free printable from Catechist magazine, but I had to take the link down because it's for "Catechist Magazine Readers Only". So if you want to find that one, you'll have to click through the Catechist Magazine site. Look under "Catechist Keyboard"... only if you're a Catechist Magazine reader of course.

I was thumbing through my books and realizing how many provide various Jesse Tree ornaments.

Domesitic-Church has their own, also found in their books.

Eriercd.org

Jesse Tree Coloring Pages that could be used as ornament templates.

Lacy wrote:
We're going to use a fake tree I still have kicking around from my dorm room days for hanging the ornaments.

This is what my family did. We had our regular Christmas tree and a small 3 footer for the Jesse Tree.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Quote:

I would love to do that, but I don't think I can handle decorating a tree on Christmas Eve! How does that work? Do you cut the tree before that and let it hang out in the yard for awhile? When I was a little girl, we always decorated the tree on St. Nicholas day while we were waiting for our shoes to be filled. I need to make a decision for my family. I wasn't exposed to the real "waiting" aspect of Advent until I was an adult.

We started decorating our tree just before Christmas because that's when we remember about it! (last-minute people R us )

We get our tree the weekend before Christmas and put it up which gives a few days for the branches to fall open.

I then hunt up the decorations and check out the lights so that everything's ready.   We then decorate the tree either the 23rd or 24th depending on the Christmas pageant and choir rehearsal schedules but we wait on turning on the Christmas lights until after Christmas vigil mass.

I do gradually add our other Christmas decorations over the course of advent.

[I have Christmas statuettes, Christmas stuffed animals, Christmas wall hangings, Christmas pillows... my maternal grandmother has been an avid crafter.

I'm usually still finding Christmas stuff to put away well into February ]
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Lacy wrote:

Unlike my family who always had a real tree, Dh's family always had an artificial one, so that is what we have, for better or worse. Artificial trees are nice, though, for using as Jesse Tree then simply decorate again on Christmas Eve for the Christmas Tree. There's no worry about drying out, etc. But there's also no fresh tree smell or fresh needles.

God bless,
Christine

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

A fresh cut Christmas Tree will keep a LONG time especially if you have fairly cold temps. We do our Christmas tree hunt the Weekend after Thanksgiving usually.. and it's so cold here we don't even put it in water.. it's totally dormant and doesn't suck up any water before it freezes anyway.

When it needs the water is when we bring it inside.. and we do that a day before we decorate so that the tree has time to thaw out and get the big drink of water.

As far as how do you decorate a tree on Christmas Eve.. we already have the tree up.. and I have a whole crew that helps decorate.. lights going on take the longest.. and then after all the ornaments are on we drape the tree in gold beads and put on the bows.

But it only takes us probably around 4 hrs total for decorating. I put out a snacky lunch.. a soup in the crock pot and a cheese ball and crackers and such.. and we just eat as we want while we're decorating.

And any more I set out the other Christmas decor while DH rides herd on the kids putting up ornaments.

If you cut a fresh tree and keep it watered.. you might be able to keep even a fresh tree up for both Advent and Christmas if you wanted to use it as a Jesse Tree as well.

But as for how you can manage to decorate the tree on Christmas Eve.. you rearrange everything else to accomodate it. My dh takes that day off if he doesn't already have it off work for instance. And I don't plan to go anywhere early in the day.. my sister's Christmas Eve party is in the evening so as long as we're done by late afternoon it's fine.

But you really have to look at all your traditions when you start to rearrange things.. if you already have things set that you do on Christmas Eve that are not flexible for shifting to another day then you might need to look at decorating on the 23rd or Gaudette Sunday or something.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

cvbmom wrote:
Anne McD wrote:

Enjoy!
Christine

We bought an artificial tree this year in hopes of using is as our Jesse tree as well. So this will be our first year doing it this way. In the past we've used an 18in tree that kept tipping over   
Do you leave your Jesse tree ornaments on the tree during Christmas as well? Ihave some beautiful jesse tree ornaments from a swap here on 4Real years ago, it would be nice to keep them up longer. The tree is pre-lit, and I purchased some pretty violet and rose wired ribbon to wrap around the tree.
Any other suggestions?

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I'm offering a free download of Jesse Tree ornaments on my blog: http://family-centered.com/living/the-jesse-tree/

They are very simple cut and paste.

Enjoy!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

They are lovely, Michele. Thank you!

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

These are beautiful, Michele! I could totally see them decoupaged onto wooden ornaments, too! I love the borders on these.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lacy wrote:
These are beautiful, Michele! I could totally see them decoupaged onto wooden ornaments, too! I love the borders on these.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing! I just bought some wooden ornaments to use for Jesse Tree ornaments. They are sitting on my counter waiting for inspiration -- and now I have it!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version