Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Skull and Bones Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I posted our broad plans on my blog Skull and Bones, trying to tie together/touch on the Catholic traditions of All Hallows’ Eve / Halloween, All Saints Day, All Souls Day and the month of November. I want to highlight some traditions in different Catholic cultures, such as Day of the Dead (El Dia de Los Muertos), cemetery tending, etc. In addition, I wanted to draw out some focus on skulls and skeletons, using music, books, art, and crafts.

The spiritual focus behind the skeletons is not fear or gruesomeness, but a reminder of our mortality. During November the Church has us focus on the Last Things, including thinking and preparing for our death and also praying for the dead. Seeing the skulls and skeletons we remember “we are dust and unto dust we shall return”. The skulls and bones are also a reminders of the destruction of sin to the soul. Heaven is our final and true home, so we need to remember to be vigilant at all times.

See Women for Faith and Family: Hallowe’en a Christian Holiday by Helen Hull Hitchcock. Excellent article!

Like the early Christians with the symbol of the fish, we can take things are used in today’s world and have a different meaning. Skeletons are used during Halloween in the United States to conjure up various feelings of fear. We can use the same skeletons and claim the Christian symbolism.

I was surprised that we didn't have a list for skeletons and skulls, nor really a Day of the Dead list, so I'm sharing the books here. The other inspiration you can read on my blog post. For once, I can proudly say these books were at my library. If you have any other recommendations, please share!

One thing I struggle with on the Day of the Dead traditions is the idea that the spirits return to the earth. This is folklore, based on the Aztec traditions, and not in the Catholic teaching. I found this good quote that explains a bit.

Day of the Dead customs are combined from Aztec and Catholic traditions, so some ideas from folklore have remained, particularly the idea that the spirits return. It is wholesome to pray, remember, honor our dead in different ways, but the ideas that the food is for the spirits, paths are made for the spirits to follow, etc. are all against Church teaching. The following explains why the spirits do not return to earth:

Quote:
Can the souls of the dead leave heaven or hell? If so, why are spiritualistic seances condemned by the Church?

The possibility or impossibility of a departed soul’s appearing to the living has no bearing whatsoever on the Church’s condemnation of Spiritism. The Church frowns on Spiritus as superstition because that occult practice is a presumptious attempt on the part of man to effect apparitions for insufficient, or even evil, reasons. The Church’s attittude is based also on the knowledge that the other circumstances ordinarily attended seances are hardly in accord with God’s wisdom and holiness–and only God can permit the appearance of separated spirits.

There is no doubt that the souls of the dead have appeared, but always with God’s permission and for God’s purposes.

St. Thomas said that no soul can leave heave or hell in the sense that its place is no longer heaven or hell. Moreover, no soul can leave, even for a time, in ordinary course of nature. A soul can leave, however, by a dispensation of Divine Providence.

The main reasons that departed souls cannot leave heaven or hell in in the ordinary course of nature are:
1) There is a great difference between the state of the living and the state of the dead. The living man’s knowledge comes through sense impressions; the departed soul is bodiless, and cannot communicate with the living through nature means.
2) Ordinarily the departed soul, since it is in its final state, has no special reason to communicate with the living.
(From Ask and Learn: Questions and Answers on the Life of the Church by Rev. Reobert E. Kekeisen, M.A., Litt.D., Westminster, MD: The Newman Press, 1957. )

Books (* are our favorites):

Skeletons and Bones in General:

Day of the Dead Picture books (note to my sons that souls do not return; this is just folklore)

About Day of the Dead (These are more factual books, many with photographs):

• Pablo Remembers: The Fiesta of the Day of the Dead by George Ancona, 1993, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books, New York.

•      
  • Day of the Dead: A Mexican-American Celebration by Diane Hoyt-Goldsmith, Photographs by Lawrence Migdale, 1994, Holiday House (longer text)

•      
  • *Day of the Dead by Linda Lowery, Illustrations by Barbara Knutson, Carolrhoda Books, Inc., Minneapolis, 2004.

•      
  • Days of the Dead by Kathryn Lasky, photographs by Christopher G. Knight, Hyperion Books for Children, New York, 1994. Photographic story of events of Days of the Dead, explanations. Monarch butterflies arriving in Mexico symbol of the spirits returning.

•      
  • Pinatas and Smiling Skeletons: Celebrating Mexican Festivals by Zoe Harris and Suzanne Williams, Illustrated by Yolanda Garfias Woo, Pacific View Press, Berkeley, California, 1998. I didn’t read through the whole book yet, but the illustrations are sweet and there are crafts and food ideas for many of the festivals, so a good book to pull out for Mexican culture.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wow, Jenn. I was just going to link your great plans post somewhere on the board. This is great having all the picture book resources here.

You did a fabulous job and lots of work compiling this.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Wow, Jenn. I was just going to link your great plans post somewhere on the board. This is great having all the picture book resources here.

You did a fabulous job and lots of work compiling this.

Thanks, Mary. It really didn't take long...I've been checking out the books and one thing inspired another. I think the longest was just putting the links together.

Our big craft project I plan on doing this week is making pysanky in the form of skulls, skeletons, and jack o'lanterns. I was thinking how easy these would be -- large areas, no tiny detail, and for the skeleton, just dying in one color, black. The pumpkin would be two colors...easy-peasy!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 02 2010 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I've uploaded some skeleton templates to make movable paper calacas for All Souls Day.
Make Your Own Paper Calacas: Dia de los Muertos Activity

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this thread...I just checked out all our "Day of the Dead" books.

I saw this great art project today:
"Day of the Dead" Skull Pattern drawing.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Bumping this thread...I just checked out all our "Day of the Dead" books.

I saw this great art project today:
"Day of the Dead" Skull Pattern drawing.

That is a cool pattern. Thanks for the link.

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 04 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I just picked up a copy of "Mr. McFadden's Halloween" by Rumer Godden.

Anyone read it? It has only one review at Amazon, but it's a good one...
I am thinking anything by that author is good, right?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version