Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Learning while "living" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

If you point out that showing your work gives him extra points (like it would in high school), he'll probably be willing to give it another try.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

joann10 wrote:
I am cutting down a real lot...I don't know much about CM but I think I need to investigate it futher.

Well, whether you read about it now or later...or not at all...suffice it to say that the way in which you are educating is very CM, Joann! For now, it's probably best to just relax into the simple, gentle, yet generous education you're offering your children through living books and experiences...rather than assigning it a name. When things are calmer, definitely give it a look!

Joann wrote:
I didn't do spelling today and it seemed to relieve so much pressure on both the kids and me. I am going to drop it and in its place will add more copywork and hopefully spelling everyday words will sink in automatically.

WONDERFUL!!!! What a relief! Let it go and don't give it a second thought!

Joann wrote:
I have ordered two Happy Scibe Copybooks and downloaded them...they look great especially for not having to come up with my own copywork right now. I ordered the Civil War for Mark and The month of October for Grace. I look forward to getting these printed out and started.

These are fantastic and I have a few of them as well!! I wanted to mention that there are several free notebooking and copywork pages for you to consider as well! Check those out, too!

Joann wrote:
Math 54 is sooo easy for Mark that I am not sure about continuing it. I don't have any idea what to go to.

I like the Math Mammoth site Suzanne linked you to - do check them out! I have a couple of other math ideas for you!

** With Saxon 5/4...where is Mark in the book? If he's bored, give him the next test in the book. If he scores a 90% or better give him the next test in the book the next day. Keep doing this until he scores below 90%, look to see what lesson that test covered and start him again at that lesson. It is not unusual for us to start around lesson 50 - 60 every year after the kids test through that point. So...that's one idea for Saxon.

** Another Saxon idea...only assign odds or evens. If a student really needs the extra practice, but the entire lesson in one day would be overwhelming, just do one lesson over two days. I have one student that really needed this slow but thorough approach for a while and it is really paying off now!!!

** If you're concerned Saxon 5/4 is too easy...do you have 6/5 on your shelf already? If not...what do you have on your shelf?? Pull out every math book/curriculum you've got. Something there will work...or you can use something inexpensive like Math Mammoth. Honestly, at this point, you're solidifying math operations and building skill and speed. You don't need anything expensive or extra to do this. I PROMISE that you can do this effectively with whatever you have at home.

** Around 5th grade math you're starting to get into some long division and two digit multiplication. In the 4th grade I move my students to grid paper for math. I pull WAAAAAYYYYYY back on the number of problems assigned for a while and focus instead on neatness, one number per square, lining up work, numbering work, circling answers, adding units to answers, etc. Attention to these sorts of details yields BIG dividends in a couple of years. No matter which book or program you go with, I think it's important to be able to write out a problem correctly, provide the work neatly, and show the answer clearly. So, it's a big deal around here in the 4th/5th grade.

Tell us what you've got on those shelves and let us know if we can brainstorm this more with you!!! Suzanne's Math Mammoth idea might be a good fit.

Joann wrote:
When he attends Holy Cross in 2 or 3 years he needs to use a textbook and do the work on his own paper....He hates this, but I thought easy work would help him learn this skill. I think it just makes him so bored, it takes him forever to do a lesson.

I don't think I'd worry too much about this yet. As Suzanne said, much can happen maturity wise in a young man within 2 - 3 years. Having said that, I do happen to consider it a good goal to shoot for, just not one I'd hang my hat on, if you know what I mean. I agree that building the skills of moving a problem to paper neatly and orderly is a good habit to be building. The material your son is working with at Saxon 5/4 level is just starting to need that kind of attention with multiplication - next year it will be necessary with long division and two digit multiplication. My advice would be to 1) find a book, or a section of the book, or a web program like Math Mammoth that is at an appropriate work-level for him and then 2) pull WAY back on the amount you have him do per day. I mean WAY back!!!! Let's say you settle him in the book around Lesson 70 or so and find that to be a good fit - not too boring/repetitive, but also giving him some new concepts to work on. I'd teach a lesson a day, do the practice set with him modeling on paper how you expect the problems and work to look, and then I'd circle 5 - 10 problems from the lesson for him to do. Stress neatness on the paper. If 10 problems is too much, only assign 5. The idea and goal here is the quality of work done. If you feel he really needs to do more problems from the lesson before moving on - that's fine!!!! Spend several days letting him work his way through one lesson!   I PROMISE, PROMISE you this will even out! Saxon is super repetitive at the beginning of books and you'll find that once you start a new book you're able to test through a lot of material easily...and you start to make up ground fast!

Joann wrote:
Grace is learning her multiplication facts....So as she reviews and takes speed drills I made up from a free site...I am adding speed drills for Mark for multiplication and division se he retains that info.

That sounds great! Keep that up! You don't need to spend loads of time on this. A little time spent consistently will pay off big dividends! Don't be fooled into thinking that 5 minutes of math drill isn't enough - it absolutely is!!!! Add 20 - 25 minutes for a lesson and the independent work and that would be my goal for math for the day...a total of 30 minutes!!!!!!!

Suzanne spoke about layers that can be pulled back or even rearranged and that is exactly how I think of my approach here. Some years find me peeling back several layers with a very basic, skeleton year for the entire year. This year has sometimes been academically generous and full, and at other times has found me peeling back various layers so that both the children and I have the energy to meet the other needs in our lives. Overall, the year has been wonderful and a blessing because the core of our year is solid and rich. When I need to peel back a layer, it isn't an indication that my plans have gone south, or that I'm not providing enough, it's simply me being attentive to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and working with His timing, His plan! You can do this, Joann!!! Free yourself by identifying which layers you can peel back! You've already freed yourself of spelling. We've brainstormed some ideas for math, but I wanted to say that this would be the area I'd probably peel away next. Not entirely...but drastically. I'd be looking to provide consistent practice in operations skills for my 5th and 3rd grader with the intention to re-evaluate at the middle of the year.

Hope this is helpful to you and not overwhelming! Let us know if we can zero in more on specific areas of concern and we can brainstorm more!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I started that post much earlier and just added bits and pieces throughout the night. Which means...I was cross-posting with the other gals who offered great advice!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote drmommy

Joann, I do not post very often, but I can offer what works for me, even though I only have 4 children and have a different lifestyle (I work outside the home 3 days per week).

One of my children is special needs and has a LOT of doctor appointments. Plus, all the dental and medical preventative appointments with the other children. We also see the orthopedist, pediatrician, neurologist, geneticist, neuro-ophthamologist, orthodontist, speech pathologist, and psychologist. This is all for one child! So, it can get crazy.

What works for me, is that I schedule all the appointments on the days I work. I am very, very possessive of my days off, so I schedule the appts after work the other 2 days (Fridays are for CCD and Girls' Club). I then have 2 FULL days for school.

I also homeschool all year 'round, on Saturdays (Latin and Home Ec) and in the evenings. This works out wonderfully for my family. So, I homeschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays almost all day with little breaks in between (outside play, piano, or friends' house), and then we hit the books a little more in the evening. Not having television helps a LOT! Waking up early before everyone else to get my Rosary and Bible in are CRUCIAL (along with the cup of coffee) for my sanity and well-being.

I always try to remember that Jesus was never rushed or breathless...always calm. That helps me to focus more on what my priorities are for the day.

By the way, we also don't do all the extras either. There just isn't time or energy on my part. But, my children get a lot of love and encouragement, and read very good books. I think of how my parents were educated and they came out fine. Sometimes we can get so wrapped up in extras, that just "being" gets sidetracked.

Just my two cents. I read your post and felt the need to respond, as sometimes a little idea can help someone else. I really received a lot of great ideas from the responses and encouragement.

Bridget
Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version