Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Learning while "living" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

On Sunday I made our lesson plans for 2 kindergarteners, a 3rd grader and a 4/5 grader. I make very realistic plans because I have been homeschooling for 20 years and I know that there is never a day that goes completely as planned. But, my days are seeming to be getting a little out of control.

For instance, today I took 6 kids for flu shots at 9:45. We left the house at 9:00 to pick up the high schoolers at their school, had them back to school within an hour, stopping at Walmart for "flu-shot treats" and were home in time for lunch.....and then the day self-destructed and nothing more was accomplished except 2 spelling pretests, of which both kids missed half of their words.

I was too tired to get the kids moving after the morning and lunch and they aren't able to learn on their own.

Basically a morning activity derailed our whole day---and I have too many of my own sick days and dr days to afford to lose this much school time.

What do you all do to keep the learning (basic reading writing and arithmetic) progressing forward on days when things are a "little off"?   

Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

I am not so good about recovering a derailed day but I try my hardest not to schedule any outside activity before 1pm.

Sorry, I am sure that isn't very helpful but know that I'm in the same boat.

Aagot
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Aagot wrote:
I try my hardest not to schedule any outside activity before 1pm.

Aagot

It seems like when I plan things in the early afternoon, half the morning is lost getting the kids ready to go... ...I do need to try an schedule my dr appointments in the afternoon, but often my appointments are in the city and hubby takes me and mornings are best for him his schedule.

I just hate to start off yet another year in "survival mode"....

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I don't have much advice to give only understanding. I have far less children than you and much less health problems and ANY time outside the home during a day compromises school.

I had to drop a bi-monthly co-op because I had to go to a chiropractor (max 30 min appointment) once a week. That seems so pathetic to say, but it was true.

I only add this, to let you know that what you are experiencing has been my experience too! You are not alone.

I will keep you in my prayers!!!!!!!!
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I have a couple of suggestions, both appropriated from a friend with many more children than I have.

She schedules appointments in the mornings and has the littles sleep in their (clean) clothes so she doesn't have to spend time dressing them that morning. She keeps all their daytime play shoes in a basket by the front door so she doesn't have to look for them. She pre-packs portable breakfasts (her home-made equivalents of pop-tarts, granola bars, etc., and maybe bananas) the night before and has them ready to go.

If I knew I had to spend an hour in the car, I'd get either some nice music CDs (hymns or classical music) and play them - that counts for school - or a book on CD, which would also count for school time. (I used to have to drive an hour each way to a real grocery store...we did this a LOT.) You could use foreign language CDs if enough children were studying the same language, or try "Adventures in Odyssey."

On appointment days I have also been known to plan a lot of read-aloud time for the afternoons (history, religion, literature, picture books) and that leaves only math as a "must-do" subject. Perhaps your older children could help read aloud now and then, too.

Appointment days happen. Your children (as you describe their grade levels) are still young enough to do well with days like this. You could consider, as time permits, a long-term project (maybe history, science or religion) for the olders to work on after math is finished...we've done a bulletin board of bird cut-outs (50birds.com!), an ocean box, aviation studies...things that interest your children at their age/ability level but can also give them an independent project experience (that you don't have to oversee every single day).

And, I hope it's okay to point out that they are learning some very important life lessons - such as, your husband puts his family and his work first, in that order (after God, of course) - what a great role model he is! Such as, we have to care for the wonderful bodies God gives us. Such as, it's never wrong to pick up again the next day and study those spelling words a little bit harder...because Mom is there, encouraging us to try again.

When you're in crisis mode, it's really hard to keep a totally-organized school schedule going. And I think that's okay. We've had to schlep school to relatives homes because we had to attend unforeseen funerals more than once. No, we didn't get much school done, but we sure learned that families stick together during tough times. I think that's why home-educated children tend to be very understanding, empathetic people - they learn about real life at a young age.

You're in my prayers - I know you have a lot on your plate right now. I know other members will have some great suggestions for you...

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Joann, you just described my September. We had one good week, and then with sickness, doctors' appointments, traveling, it wipes me out. I don't have any of the problems you have, nor do I have as many children. I scarcely think I can give any advice. But I empathize because I can barely keep up the energy. I need down time. Errands and appointments wipe me out. It's not about fitting in all the work, it's getting enough energy to supervise/implement it, and it just doesn't happen.

Right now I make sure we have reading assignments that continue, and that narration continues. That way I know I'm getting something done and we're not totally derailing. And that often happens in the car or doctor's office.

If I'm wiped out and need a nap, the quiet time is reading time, and we narrate while I'm cooking dinner.

If I *know* it's going to be a crazy day, I try to fit in the seat work first thing, like math (we do RightStart) and writing (copywork, phonics).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

JennGM wrote:
It's not about fitting in all the work, it's getting enough energy to supervise/implement it, and it just doesn't happen.

This is it!! After a trip out of the house...to anywhere....I am totally whipped. When I get home everything goes downhill fast because I can't seem to get the ball rolling....Today I looked at our kindergarten calendar time wall at dinner and quickly called the k'ers so we could change the date and check the weather... that's seems pretty pathetic to me....

I need ideas for indepentdent work for my 3rd and 4/5 graders. My 3rd dd is very ADHD, smart as a whip but hard to "keep on task"...my 4th/5th grade ds (10) just really started reading last year and is just starting to write this year....so he needs a lot of one on one time...if he doesn't get it consistently, he falls backward. (I have actually thought of putting him into school, but I think he would easily fall through the cracks at a school and would face problems from his peers because he would be "behind".)

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Perhaps some activities the littles can do independently might be a good thing on days like that. These things may not be ideal, but at least they let *some* learning happen in the afternoon when mom is just too tired to lead the way.
Explode the Code online has been a lifesaver for me on days when I can't get anything else done--at least dd gets some solid phonics practice.
Starfall.com is also one of those things even a 4yo can do independently and still learn. Have an older child help them navigate the site at first, but they catch on pretty quickly.
Books on tape and some simple art supplies. Have them illustrate the story as they listen.
Educational DVD's. I keep a full Netflix queue of instant watch documentaries that the kids can choose from when I am unavailable--nature shows, travel, history, etc. At least they will learn *something* even if it is totally random.
Hope this helps some.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I second the Explode the Code and Starfall suggestions. My ds is 9 with ADHD and he even likes the Explode the Code workbooks.
I've been struggling with just being tired through this pregnancy and worrying about how everything is going to "fall apart" when I'm in the hospital and then the recovery time / new baby time afterwards. I've resorted to finding things like workbooks and on line sites that my kids can do so I feel like they are getting some independent work in. It's not the ideal, but I think it's better than nothing. Another site I have found that has learning activities for different grade levels is abcya

One other thought I had comes from my days as a classroom teacher. I kept a file of work the kids could do when there was a substitute teacher. I have to admit, alot of that was busy work , but keeping a binder of some relevant activities, worksheets, websites, etc. available might come in handy to take in the car or leave for your kids to work on at home.

Or even a "While I'm Gone Chart" could work. You could list things like:
Read 1 chapter in your ___ book.
Do 1 page in your math book.
Build a ___ with your Legos.

Or whatever activities work for your kids. Set it up ahead of time and explain that there are days when Mom just can't be right there and these are the things they need to accomplish.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

We've dealt with the out of the house problem by planning four day weeks for grade four and under and doing our best to schedule family outings for the 'free day' (Wednesday). If we need to schedule an outing for a different day then I have the option of lessons on Wednesday although normally I 'make up' the work over the next week instead.

Normally any appointment for just one child (eye exams and the like) is scheduled in the morning before my hubby goes to work so that it can double as an outing with daddy.

As for the child with ADHD tendencies, I understand that the full workbox system was set up to deal with this very situation.

Our 'workpile' system works well for us (I put all the work that should be done independently into piles for each child and all the work that needs me into a different pile) but I can see how the more formal method used with the workboxes could be helpful to a child who needs more help staying on course.

I also make a point of organizing the work the night before, which really helps on days when I have less energy (less decision making, less chance of not getting around to it when the work is put out on the small folding tables I use for the purpose).
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Joanne,

I definately understand. We take a lot of time to get ready in the mornings too, and if we go somewhere, the whole school day is shot. I second getting as much ready the night before, and then try to control your mental outlook. I know that I tend to feel exhausted and out of control feeling inwardly (i.e. disorganized) when I personally have an out of house day or morning with the kids. So, take a few minutes to mentally recalibrate, refresh, and then switch gears and accomplish a few things very well. For example, someone mentioned doing reading days those days. So, we will read religion, this or that story and do one page of math. Period. Then, you accomplish those things and don't feel like a failure.

I think when we realize we cannot have the perfect day, when it is "messed up" with an outside activity, it is discouraging to us so we think why even really bother. I know I try to mentally escape sometimes and we have to really fight against our own excuses! (Not that you are doing that, but I definately do.) It can't be a full day so why bother. So, I would recalibrate, re-focus-grab a cup of joe or whatever gets you out of the afternoon sleepies, and try to make a few hours really count and have a positive attitude, not an overwhelmed attitude. (i.e. control the day, don't let the day control you.) You can always add in an hour at night for a day or two to catch up too. We try to do some "homework" in the evenings because with so many kids, morning sickness that never goes away, and the inevitable diaper changes and little kid fights....it is just not possible to do it all during the "perfect" 9-3 school day. So, re-think school time which I am sure you already do, and ask hubby to go over math on hectic days while you catch up on things too. They are usually happy to help if it is a specific thing, and they know it is only tonight, or these two nights instead of some open ended thing.

Anyway, hope something helps! Hang in there! I have a new motto this year to share.. After my son Willy was hospitalized not once, but twice last year, and then my daughter Gabbi had an accident this year in which she lost her big toe (she is 3), I knew something had to change or I was going to lose it! All of this threw me for an absolute loop for quite some time and I was, I think, actually clinically depressed. I could just not understand how these horrible things happened when I was doing my best to control life and was running around constantly checking up on kids etc. or trying to prevent germs with constant cleaning etc. and always VERY heavily focusing on school to try to do that perfectly too and yet it still didn't seem like I accomplished much and the house was always in disarray.

While in the hospital with William, before Gabbi's accident even happened, I really felt as if God was trying to tell me to A. trust HIM. I was NOT in charge of everything no matter what misconceptions or delusions I was under. I really, truly, POWERFULLY needed him every day in every moment and I could NOT do this alone anymore. Next,home and hearth FIRST, school second. My families health and safety were first, and school was second no matter what. Think of the word "homeschooling". It is Home....then school. So that is my motto...HOME schooling if that is even a motto. So, if you are taking care of your children by making sure they get a flu shot, you got them bathed, fed, dressed and out the door to do this....you have already done a great and heroic thing! You can not be in two places at once. That is an unrealistic expectation to place on yourself so put the guilt aside. I think we have these crazy unrealistic expectations about ourselves as mothers. Think about all the wasted time in regular schools. A few solid, concentrated hours are all you need if you have an out of the house day, and as a fellow mom of an incredibally large family...just plan on schooling through the summer. Take days off to swim and go to amusement parks, but really, aren't most of those hot summer days just lost anyway? Just school year round in some form or fashion, and then when you have a day like this, it isn't as stressful since you know one day missed in phonics will not crumble the house down!

Anyway, the longer I homeschool the more I realize, expecially in an exceptionally large family, that this is a VERY, VERY hard job. I remember reading magazines, mostly Protestant back then, about all the wonderful canning projects the family was doing together, all the dresses they were all sewing at home, all the gardening that was getting done..all the cool groups the kids were involved in. There is NONE of that here. Only day in and day out dishes, laundry, baths, meal after meal after meal..shopping for meals, putting away food, cooking food, thinking about getting the groceries, more laundry, trying to do as much school as I can, running between each child, trying to be "present" for that child as much as possible when I feel like throwing up and going to bed...all the while checking up on the little ones who are running around getting into mischief. I don't have the rosy, fun crafting days, liturgy filled cupcake days, out of the house with all my like-minded Catholic mom friends whose kids really love all my kids days. And, sometimes, that makes me want to give up and just cry and say the heck with it all. But, God is asking this of me, I think at least, and I am just trying to do my best to love my children, form my children, educate them and take care of them as best as I can. Maybe some moms do this or that better. Maybe some mom out there CAN get a full day of school in, go to the docs with all the pressed and ironed kids, and still get a pottery class in for the kids in the afternoon and a hot meal on the table. I know I cannot. It is humbling, but I cannot. So, I do my best and I always pray that God will make up for my deficiences with all the kids. Let go of the guilt! I think it will eat us up if we don't ask God to heal us of it.   

Whew! I haven't writtin into the forum in over 6 months or more!! Obviously, I took all that out on you with a VERY wordy post!! HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry bout' that.

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Well, this week was totally lost....we didn't even take out end of the week spelling tests---they may end up being Sunday afternoon spelling tests.

I am trying to figure out how to get the bigger kids on a good chore schedule, but their schedules are pretty tight, but I definitely need more of their help.

For schoolwork, I think formal kindergarten is going to have to be set aside right now. The kids both love calendar time so I do want to try continue that daily. I would love some montessori activities for them but I don't have time to make things and no money to purchase them.

Mark and Grace need to concentrate on writing....I am thinking copywork and then journal writing.

Grace is just learning to put sentences together. Mark struggles with this also. He only started reading last year, so I don't really know what I should expect from him. These kids are sooooo hard to gage!

Neither Mark or Grace can spell----so I do use Spelling workout to try and teach some "rules" of spelling....but it seems almost senseless, because they just don't "get" spelling. (Unless I am sitting with them and sounding words out for them)   Is it worth the effort to keep this up??? I don't really know.

Most of our history and science and religon is me reading aloud (or a big kid reading aloud) with oral discussion. I may start using some of this as copywork......

We will have to see how this works....
It sure doesn't seem like enough but I think this will be about all that I will be be able to accomplish right now.

It doesn't just seem like enough.....

I'm not going to wreck the kids, am I??

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Joann, this sounds just fine to me! (And it would even if you weren't dealing with all the other issues you face right now, truly.) The only thing missing from your list is math and I am sure you're doing a bit of that. If nothing else, you could have an older child practice math facts with your youngers (via flash cards or out loud - and your youngers could make the flash cards themselves).

Please give yourself permission to heal and let go for a bit. The Math Police and the House Beautiful Police aren't visiting your block this week, I promise.

You're in my prayers...I will pray for you especially at Mass tomorrow.

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

guitarnan wrote:
The only thing missing from your list is math and I am sure you're doing a bit of that.

I did forget math....Mark has Saxon 54 which is very easy for him....which is good because he is basically reviewing and keeping his skills.
Gracie is learning her multiplication facts with flashcards and online (she is on the 4 facts)
So we are getting in some math.

Thanks so much for the prayers, Nancy!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

joann10 wrote:
Well, this week was totally lost....

We will have to see how this works....
It sure doesn't seem like enough but I think this will be about all that I will be be able to accomplish right now.

It doesn't just seem like enough.....

I'm not going to wreck the kids, am I??

NO DEFINITELY NOT!!!!

I read your post Saturday night, Joann...and hoped to respond earlier, but well...life! And you know how that goes!!!!

Ok...here's what I hoped to suggest which is really just refining what you've already got going which is FANTASTIC and enough and wonderful!!! I'm going through your post and addressing each point individually...

Spelling - I'd drop it altogether based on what you said later in your post:

Joann wrote:
Grace is just learning to put sentences together. Mark struggles with this also. He only started reading last year, so I don't really know what I should expect from him. These kids are sooooo hard to gage!

Let them focus on their reading skills, and work on some good copywork with them both, pulling from their reading. This will build handwriting skills and will also introduce spelling because they're copying words correctly.

Chores from the biggers - Ask them to sit down with you one night this week. Make a list beforehand of the biggest things/chores/challenges you're having trouble getting to. Divide the list by the number of teens in front of you. Smile big. Tell them to volunteer!   

Kindergarten - You wrote this:
Joann wrote:
For schoolwork, I think formal kindergarten is going to have to be set aside right now. The kids both love calendar time so I do want to try continue that daily. I would love some montessori activities for them but I don't have time to make things and no money to purchase them.

Honestly, Joann, this is fine! Continue reading together as you always have! Keep up with the fun calendar time! As to Montessori work...can you ask one of your bigger teens to help you get some things together - beads in muffin tins, different beans in bowls with spoons for scooping sorting, maybe some baby food jars with food coloring & water in them and some old tylenol med baby droppers (of course cleaned very well!!!) for transferring colored water back and forth between bowls...I can come up with some other Montessori ideas that are TOTALLY ON THE CHEAP...and would come from things you likely have in your cabinets if you like. An older teen could help you assemble things. You don't NEED A LOT OUT AT ONCE!!!! Kids get overwhelmed with too much...and I know your space is very limited anyway!!! So, if you had a list, an older teen could help you every couple of weeks by gathering things for you and setting them out somewhere. Regardless, even without the Montessori ideas, your home is full of living education opportunities that ABOUND!! These are so full of value that most classrooms try to duplicate them and can't! Just continue having them help clear the table and set it for dinner, rinse the dishes and play in bubbles in the sink, sweep the kitchen, scrub the pots, etc. Kindergarten will take care of itself in your loving home!!

Handwriting
Joann wrote:
Mark and Grace need to concentrate on writing....I am thinking copywork and then journal writing.

This sounds fantastic and is exactly what I would suggest. I would use what they are reading to generate the copywork. The sentence you choose for their copywork can also be the source of a simple, every-now-and-then grammar lesson.

Joann wrote:

Start simply with the copywork!! Short, straightforward sentences for both! At some time, point out that sentences all begin with a capital letter. Maybe another time point out that sentences end with punctuation - you can talk about periods, question marks, and exclamation points. If you've done that, you've taken care of grammar for the year!!

Joann wrote:
Neither Mark or Grace can spell----so I do use Spelling workout to try and teach some "rules" of spelling....but it seems almost senseless, because they just don't "get" spelling. (Unless I am sitting with them and sounding words out for them)   Is it worth the effort to keep this up??? I don't really know.

It's hard to tell right now if this is something worthy of concern, or if it's something that will work itself out in time. I'm inclined to believe the latter because I've seen this in my own children. For this year in particular, Joann, I'd be content to just continue helping them sound words out so that their reading builds and improves to proficiency. Opportunities to work on spelling can come later. One of my children was an ATROCIOUS speller as a young child and is now quite a fantastic speller. I didn't do anything more than offer great literature for reading, pulling copywork and dictation from that literature.

History and Science:
Joann wrote:
Most of our history and science and religon is me reading aloud (or a big kid reading aloud) with oral discussion. I may start using some of this as copywork......

FANTASTIC!!! PERFECT!!! I wouldn't change a thing...and yes, copywork from this would be ideal!!!

This is not only enough, but ideal, Joann! Our Lord has given your dear children other lessons to learn...lessons in the value of suffering as a family, and the gifts and blessings that come from life in your beautifully large family! Don't discount the supernatural value in those lessons! Academics-wise...keep reading, both aloud and have something for them to read independently. Pull your copywork from that and you've covered language arts just fine as well as whatever subjects that reading happens to come from!! If you've taken care of religion and math then you have a perfect year before you!!!!!

I am praying for you!!!!! May Our Lord grant you great joy and peace, Joann!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Joann.....

You are doing GREAT! It sounds like you are actually doing a very CM-style education for the 3rd and 4th grader!!!   Which, IMHO, is very efficacious!!!   

For the elementary age children......
**living books
**copywork
**narration
**math

Check, check, check, check.   

Like Jenn said up above.....even when all falls apart....if you're reading and narrating.....there is SO MUCH going on with this. There is SO MUCH bang-for-your-buck!

Same with copywork.....so much is involved with a 3rd and 4th graders slowly copying simple, complete sentences....with focused attention for 5-10 minutes! SO MUCH!   For us, It's a very effective and efficient way to spend your time. I sit at the table for 15 minutes, we finish and then I go back to the couch!!!!!   Drop the spelling programs and don't give it ANOTHER THOUGHT!   Simple copywork! It is wonderful! To make things EASY-SQUEASY for me this term, I am using these marvelous little copywork books.....Happy Scribe Copybooks. One sentence per page. You choose regular printing, D'Nealian, or Cursive. I am not choosing much copywork this term. Using these books more and more as the weeks progress. They are great and inexpensive.

As you have "peeled back layers" of what you are doing, it actually looks very Charlotte Mason in it's simplicity. You are focusing on the essentials of a CM education.

But, in case you find yourself feeling like it's "too much" still......right now, just in your head and on-paper.....go a step further and "peel back" a couple more layers. While you are in "analytical, plan mode" and are a bit detached.........go a step further....What would you eliminate if it STILL felt like too much?   Where would your next "layer" come from? What could you eliminate or change to simplify it even more? I did this with my plans this year and it's very helpful. I numbered the things that would be eliminated as we progressed into my third trimester. I have already thought about what would slowly be "peeled back" ..... now when I have to do it....I do it knowing I've purposely considered it and don't feel guilty or second-guess myself.

**Could you focus on the oldest child and let the others "osmosis-it?"
**Would you decrease the number of times you are doing something each week?
**Delegate some tasks to an "older?"
**Only read audio books you can get from the library?
**Since you have emerging readers and both kids sound like they are on-track math-wise, would you consider eliminating math for awhile and focus on their reading?

Just some examples.

A few other random comments:
**Keep reading aloud. Talk about the readings. If you start to have limited read aloud time b/c of fatigue (or saliva-production )....then do books on tape.

**Since both kids (3rd and 4th-5th gr) are beginning readers, can you focus on listening to them read aloud on a regular basis...just a bit at a time...5 minutes once or twice a day?   This is a priority for me....and I put it during my most awake time, so there is no chance I'll fall asleep. I consider this their grammar and spelling. If they are doing this with you on a regular basis......THAT's the step before grammar, spelling and composition.....actually LOOKING at the words and getting used to reading. Much more important than a spelling program at this point.

Hugs, Joann!!!!!! Come back with any more specifics and we can brainstorm some more.      

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Thank you all so much for your many great suggestions. The time you have all spent to help me out is very heartening.

I am cutting down a real lot...I don't know much about CM but I think I need to investigate it futher.

I didn't do spelling today and it seemed to relieve so much pressure on both the kids and me. I am going to drop it and in its place will add more copywork and hopefully spelling everyday words will sink in automatically.

I have ordered two Happy Scibe Copybooks and downloaded them...they look great especially for not having to come up with my own copywork right now. I ordered the Civil War for Mark and The month of October for Grace. I look forward to getting these printed out and started.

Math 54 is sooo easy for Mark that I am not sure about continuing it. I don't have any idea what to go to. When he attends Holy Cross in 2 or 3 years he needs to use a textbook and do the work on his own paper....He hates this, but I thought easy work would help him learn this skill. I think it just makes him so bored, it takes him forever to do a lesson.

Grace is learning her multiplication facts....So as she reviews and takes speed drills I made up from a free site...I am adding speed drills for Mark for multiplication and division se he retains that info.

Math suggestions would be a great help. I looked at teaching textbooks but it is just too expensive for us. I was using the new Seton math for Grace but they had the kids learning all the mult. fact is about 2 weeks so I have stopped that book to just learn the basic facts.

Grace and I are working on a Magic Tree House Lapbook. Both kids love lapbooks...so I want to try and keep that up.

Together we are doing a Fruits of the HOly Spirit lapbook.....With the time saved from Math and spelling these will probably be more enjoyable...

Thanks so much for your help everyone,
God Bless you all!!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Joann~

Have you seen Math Mammoth? I am using several of the Blue Series worktexts for various kids on different topics. They can be downloads from Kagi or Currclick, so are very affordable. You can order them hard copy from lulu too.

Here is an explanation of the "Blue Series":
Quote:
Each of the Blue Series books concentrates on a few topics only, such as addition & subtraction, place value, clock, measuring, money, multiplication, division, geometry, fractions, or decimals. This topical arrangement makes the books suitable for many kinds of situations, such as:

* To supplement any other math curriculum;
    * As a remedial material for students who are behind;
    * As a review material on specific topics.

Is there something Mark LIKES right now that he could focus on for a few weeks on his own? Maybe some of those topics wouldn't be "boring" to him.

She also has a Light Blue Series-Complete Math Curriculum by Grade...which I haven't seen, but there are several local people here who use it and like it. Again, it's affordable for either the download or the hard copy.

I know you said that you are trying to get him to "write out" problems from a text, but maybe now isn't the time for that. Simply b/c it complicates things on a few different levels. One of the reasons I like MM is that they are "worktexts"....

Quote:
BOTH include explanations for the concepts right in the student texts. This means there is no separate textbook and workbook, but those are combined into a single text.
This is a logistical thing for me during survival-mode....it makes it much easier for me to physically and logistically be able to get things set up for the girls, for them to be independent and for me to be able to help them without a lot of texts and paper flying around.

Also, there is a Make It Real Learning series. Is Mark more of a "Real Life Math Guy?" Maybe these would be fun for him, rather than a typical math curriculum.   Again, pretty affordable.

Worth clicking around on her website to see if anything clicks or not.   

We are still Math-U-See fans, but for this term, I had a couple specific needs and needed to "peel back"....and MUS was one of the layers.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

joann10 wrote:
When he attends Holy Cross in 2 or 3 years he needs to use a textbook and do the work on his own paper....He hates this, but I thought easy work would help him learn this skill. I think it just makes him so bored, it takes him forever to do a lesson.

Me, personally....I would not worry about this. You're forecasting too far out. You have 2 or 3 years for him to mature and change without this being painful and boring, which it sounds like it's becoming. But, consider the source....I have nary a boy in the house and not even a 5th grader yet! Nor do I have any experience with Holy Cross!!!!    But, it's just my initial reaction to it.

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

joann10 wrote:

Math 54 is sooo easy for Mark that I am not sure about continuing it. I don't have any idea what to go to. When he attends Holy Cross in 2 or 3 years he needs to use a textbook and do the work on his own paper....He hates this, but I thought easy work would help him learn this skill. I think it just makes him so bored, it takes him forever to do a lesson.

Grace is learning her multiplication facts....So as she reviews and takes speed drills I made up from a free site...I am adding speed drills for Mark for multiplication and division se he retains that info.

Math suggestions would be a great help. I looked at teaching textbooks but it is just too expensive for us. I was using the new Seton math for Grace but they had the kids learning all the mult. fact is about 2 weeks so I have stopped that book to just learn the basic facts.

My first suggestion is that you modify how much he is assigned to do. Most math teachers (and professors for that matter) do not assign every problem in the textbook, either.

What I normally do is assign a representative sample of the problems (every third or fourth problem would work). If my child has no problem with the work then we move onto the next section. If there is a problem, we'll do a few of the questions together so that I can see where my child is having problems and help her and then I'll assign more questions from the problem set and so on.

This makes it easier to quickly work through easy stuff leaving more room for the harder material and automatically rewards the child for careful and through work.

BTW I agree that it's not a bad idea to learn how to do at least some problems on a separate sheet of paper. I've found that most workbooks fail to give enough room to do problems neatly and clearly in the upper grades.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version