Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Therese ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 25 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

My daughter is named after St. Therese and I want to start a tradition of celebrating Name Day Feasts in our family. But I'm not sure exactly what to do this year as she is only 9 months old!

Any suggestions for something easy and fun to do with her? I know she won't remember but I want to to start this year so it becomes tradition. Plus there's always the photo op to remember years from now

I just can't think of anything to do with a 9 month old besides Mass of course! Any suggestions would be welcome!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 25 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

When establishing "traditions" that I will want to repeat, I always like to start small. I ask myself "Will I be able to repeat this with ease?" I also like to find a visual display that can be reused.

Some ideas off the top of my head:

Find a candle shaped like a rose for display.

A small frame to put an image of St. Therese, perhaps next to the candle.

Pillar candle, decorate with a picture or symbols or roses on outside (decoupage, paint).

A bouquet or vase of roses. For my region, we're still having roses on our rose bush, so you could bring some indoors.

If you don't have a rose bush, plant one for your daughter, maybe every year a new one?

Have a prayer to say together, and these displays can be put on the table to sing "Happy nameday to you..." and a short prayer to St. Therese and for your daughter.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 25 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Jenn, I love those ideas! You're like a goldmine. I wish so much that I knew you in "real life"

I have a little St. Therese Round Up on Catholic Icing of printables, craft ideas, etc. We're definitely making some sacrifice beads this year, so I'm really excited about that!

God bless!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Another simple one is to get something rose scented. Obviously real roses are great. A few years ago I bought some rose water for this occasion (air freshener would work, too). It's nice to spray around the house to give it a fresh hint of roses smell.   Babies pick up on scents and this is a gentle not overpowering one. I could see starting young how the smell could be something you associate with the feat day each year.

Another thing I've thought would be fun for little ones, but maybe more toddler age (so they don't stick them in their mouth) is to literally give them a shower of roses. Get the silk rose petals from the craft store (wedding section) and throw them up in the air and enjoy them as they rain down. Great toddler/preschool fun activity. But a 9 month old would probably think it fun as well but need to be watched more for eating them.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 27 2010 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Ladies thank you so much for these ideas! I was mentioning my idea to my husband the other day and he reminded me that St. Therese is the one who teaches "Love in simple ways"! I tend to go overboard with things and then am disappointed when they don't come out the way I had planned

So for St. Therese's feast we'll keep it simple since Marie-Therese IS only 9 months old but also because that's what St. Therese would want! I'm going to take some ideas you ladies gave me. I'll let you know at the end of the week what we did!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2010 at 2:40am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I just added these Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact comic links to the October planning thread.

Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact - Story of a Soul and Story of a Soul, part II

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Veronika
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 30 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Veronika

On St. Therese Day at our house we always begin the day with "french" toast and rose hip tea! We like to decorate as much as we can with roses too.

Back to Top View Veronika's Profile Search for other posts by Veronika

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 30 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Name days are a beautiful, thoughtful tradition! These are great ideas...

When I was a young girl, I read a lovely book titled The Golden Name Day by Jennie Lindquist. It is about Swedish-American families, so the name days are somewhat separated from the original saint feast day tradition, but the joyful celebration is there all the same...the second book in the series, The Little Silver House includes Advent, St. Lucy and Christmas traditions in Swedish-American families.

If you can find any of the books in this trilogy, do read them. (They are sadly out of print, but you might be able to find them somewhere...a lovely portrayal of turn-of-the-century New Hampshire!)

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Jen,

Did you see Jessica's post over at Shower of Roses?

Love the links and the girls loved making the paper roses this morning!

Jessica is a treasure of wonderful ideas and when I saw you post I thought I needed to link that for searches in years to come as well.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Mimip wrote:
Jen,

Did you see Jessica's post over at Shower of Roses?

Love the links and the girls loved making the paper roses this morning!

Jessica is a treasure of wonderful ideas and when I saw you post I thought I needed to link that for searches in years to come as well.

Ohhhh thank you for this link!!! I'll be saving it!

This morning I took my picture of St. Therese (that is mounted on wood so very baby friendly!!) and placed it on the floor in front of my Marie-Therese. She grinned and picked it up and "talked" to St. Therese for quite some time! It was so precious!

I then told her a little about St. Therese even though she can't understand any of it yet! We then said the Glory Be and a prayer to St. Therese. Simple since she's so little but it's a start!

Now our picture and statue of St. Therese are displayed on the table and throughout the day we'll keep going back to say "hi" to St. Therese. THank you all again for the wonderful ideas!

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Wanted to share this embroidered St. Therese doll that was a home made baptism gift for my daughter from her Godmother. I think it came out really beautiful!

Embroidered St. Therese Doll

I linked to the free embroidery pattern in the post.

Have a Rosy St. Therese day everyone!!!

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

My oldest is Therese so it is an important day in our house. Basically namesdays are like another birthday in our house. She gets to pick the meal and if there is any activity she wants to do we will try and do it. This year she wanted to read about St Therese's life. I also bought some roses. Oh, she doesn't get to pick the dessert, though. I always make a rose water pound cake. So simple, but so nice

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2010 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

mathmama wrote:
My oldest is Therese so it is an important day in our house. Basically namesdays are like another birthday in our house. She gets to pick the meal and if there is any activity she wants to do we will try and do it. This year she wanted to read about St Therese's life. I also bought some roses. Oh, she doesn't get to pick the dessert, though. I always make a rose water pound cake. So simple, but so nice

Would you mind sharing the recipe for the rose water pound cake? It sounds delicious and I would love to make it!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version