Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Your favorite Johnny Appleseed Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 15 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

It's the time of year to break out the apple books

We are enjoying Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindberg. The illustrations alone make the book.

There are so many versions of this story... which is your favorite?

BTW, I am so slow.... I only recently realized that Reeve LIndbergh is the daughter of Charles Lindbergh!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 15 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

More Johnny Appleseed discussion is here from last fall...

And here is an apple thread as well...
apples

Can you tell fall is my favorite time of year?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2010 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Thanks for the links Melinda. We have the Steven Kellog version. We pull it out every year. Last year I tried something new after the book we watched Disney's American Legends (during one of our hour van waits for older dd's activities). And on a different time listened to American Tall Tales as told by Jim Weiss while we did an "apple" craft.

I'm checking out the apples thread next. We love apples around here too! It always turns out in making apple pie !

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2010 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

So has anyone read the Aliki version of the Margaret Hodges version? Didn't see either mentioned in either thread, but they are by well known authors.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2010 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
So has anyone read the Aliki version of the Margaret Hodges version? Didn't see either mentioned in either thread, but they are by well known authors.

Yes, this is the one we read and enjoyed.

Love the songs from the Disney cartoon. "The Lord is good to me, and so I thank the Lord..."

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Newly published:
Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman by Esme Raji Codell

Told from the present looking back to the time of John Chapman in sort of a transporting back in time (but not hokey time travel which I don't like in children's books - more of an "imagine" the past). The author takes several aspects of Chapman's life and illustrates those with a story then uses that to encourage readers to do the same ("use what you have" "share what you have" respect nature" try to make peace"). Some might see it as trying to be "politically correct" but I think it is well done - messages we should try to do when possible.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And seeing there are some others that have never been mentioned which deserve to be included.

Johnny Appleseed - Stephen Benet
The Real Johnny Appleseed - Laurie Lawlor

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Newly published:
Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman by Esme Raji Codell

Told from the present looking back to the time of John Chapman in sort of a transporting back in time (but not hokey time travel which I don't like in children's books - more of an "imagine" the past). The author takes several aspects of Chapman's life and illustrates those with a story then uses that to encourage readers to do the same ("use what you have" "share what you have" respect nature" try to make peace"). Some might see it as trying to be "politically correct" but I think it is well done - messages we should try to do when possible.

We really enjoyed this one. Very well done. One thing that is unique is the emphasis on how he started a nursery and how he shared the small trees. The seed legend isn't as accurate as apple trees grow from seeds throw into the ground, as they require grafting and nurturing.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version