Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: maria rioux's syllabus Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Good morning, Rebecca,
Our daughter is well. :) She's been cancer-free for 5 years. :) She does have a problem with her shoulder bone (cells got confused after all the years of chemo and are growing in the wrong direction. Her bone will have to be shaved when it begins to interfere with movement and nerves.) We do also have to watch for secondary cancers, heart, liver, fertility and brain damage...and no one really knows what the odds are on any of that as this treatment is fairly new. 30 years ago most kids with ALL died in a fairly short time. When Adrienne was in treatment the odds were 85%. Now, 10 years later, they are 95% :) We're most grateful, she's doing great....but there are side-effects to 2.5 years of chemo every day, and that's just the way it is. We sure appreciate prayers but also rejoice in the good health she enjoys this day...and can reasonably expect to enjoy in the future.
I'll try to get those talks uploaded soon. Have a deadline on an article and unit study to tackle first!
God bless, Maria
Back to Top View Maria Rioux's Profile Search for other posts by Maria Rioux

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2012 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

That's just wonderful Maria! Glad she is doing better. I am so sorry about the side-effects and thankful for her good health now.

Thanks about the talks I look forward to it! :)

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 21 2014 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Is there a way to access the syllabi without paying for a Scribd subscription? Whenever I click on the link to download, I get a pop up to subscribe. The main page says that the St. Thomas School syllabi are free, though.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 21 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Hello, Diana,
An e-friend set up a weebly site for me and our curricula is available there. He had fun making grammatical mistakes on there, too, and I have to ask him for the access codes to fix the silliness, but the curricula is all there. :) This summer I will be giving a talk at the KCCHS Conference on how we implement it/explaining things which sometimes confuse people. I plan to post all my homeschooling talks on this site (I have 5 so far, and this summer will make 6) as well as teacher helps. I will also be updating our curricula as it's been about 3 years and I have some wonderful resources to add.
I actually stumbled across your post, and I'm glad I did, but I do better with personal email or responding on my egroup (The History Place) than this forum method. Feel free to write me privately: jrioux@bbwi.net.

Here's the link to our curricula:
http://mariarioux.weebly.com/home-schooling.html
God bless, Maria

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 21 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Maria,

Thank you so much!!
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 22 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

Maria Rioux wrote:

Here's the link to our curricula:
http://mariarioux.weebly.com/home-schooling.html
God bless, Maria

This is way easier to access. Thank you so much Maria!

We have been so blessed by your book recommendations. When I was getting out books for the next children in line to use this year, the older ones kept exclaiming, "ooo! I LOVED that book!" Thank you for sharing your tested and true picks - I am enjoying getting plans together for next year and wondering which books will become new favorites.    

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 24 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

You're welcome. :)
It has come to my attention that the links to Grades One and Two are messed up. I will try to get that fixed today.
Have a great day, guys. Oh, maybe some of you will find this helpful. I wrote a post on TC courses and Modern Scholar courses for my own egroup (The History Place) and others I am active in. I'll be updating our curricula this semester and will post the updated curricula and teacher helps on the weebly site. I'll let you know when I get that done. Should be about a month to 6 weeks from now.
God bless, Maria
I've been a member on Audible for a couple years now. Every month I get one credit for 14.95. As a member, I also get member prices on books and have access to great sales that put some of my favorite books/courses at 4.95 or even 2.95. Very occasionally they give me something for free. A list member on my History Place group recently asked me about fictional titles and while I was working on a list for her, I also thought, again, how good it would be to make a list of TC courses and Modern Scholar courses that have been so helpful and delightful to me. You can get a 60.00 audio course (Great Courses/TC) for 14.95. Courses like Greenburg's various ones on music and composers (each of which is excellent); Elizabeth Vandiver's courses on the Illiad, Odyssey, Aeneid and Classical Mythology (she's terrific! I have such a greater appreciation and better understanding of these works seeing them through her eyes.); Fr. Joe Koterski's courses are all on there, too. If you want to do yourself a Lenten favor, get his Biblical Wisdom Literature course. His two philosophical ones are terrific, too (one on Aristotle's Ethics and one on his Physics (which happens to be one of my favorite works :)). Herzman and Cook's Dante course is wonderfully well-done, and they have one on St. Francis and St. Augustine, too. Dr. Timothy Shutt's Modern Scholar courses are all very good, he's quite entertaining/an easy listen, and has a very wide range…liberally educated. :) Dr. Michael Drout is a philologist. His courses are excellent. I wrote about him before, but for the sake of new members, will repost at the end of this post. Dr. Thomas Madden's courses are also terrific, though his delivery is a little dry. His content is great. I am so grateful I am not in any royal line and this is not the Middle Ages because I would likely get my eyes poked out at the very least, maybe even by my mother or her regent, which is code for guy who hopes to be king and is willing to do just about anything to get there. Anyway, give Thomas Madden a try. He will not disappoint, but a study of history is not for the faint of heart. Dr. Benjamin has really good math courses. Now math you do really have to see, so the audio version is not your best bet, but he is very good all the same. I am in the middle of reviewing Aurora Lipper's science materials. She's a former NASA scientist/college prof. turned homeschooling mom. Maybe she still teaches some college classes. Not sure. But, she's been developing a science program, supercharged science, and it is quite good. I have a little reservation here and there, as in, I have not died and gone to science heaven, but there is much to applaud here. Also, Dr. Carol Reynolds' courses on music. They are wonderful. She also did a webinar with Jean. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX9xpvz58yw
Must get ready for mass. I will pray for the each of you, collectively (because God is God, that works :)), and also for those of you who have expressed specific intentions.

God bless, Maria
Repost:
I have not yet had the time to write about all the fun things we've done/read/watched this break, but I am going to try to make a dent in that by telling you, again, about Michael Drout's "The Anglo-Saxon World". I've been rereading it, as I do with pretty much every book I read because I have my iPad read them to me when I can't sleep…which means I miss things. ;) I eventually fall asleep, and take a kind of shotgun approach to nighttime reading. If I blast away at it long enough, I'll eventually read the whole thing and put all events in their proper place.

Anyway, it really is quite good…as are hid other Modern Scholar courses. I especially like the one on Tolkien. Michael loves Tolkien and makes all kinds of fun connections, Tolkien being a fellow philologist, and according to Drout, one of the best.
Last night I learned all about King Alfred. This guy was not only a warrior king, protecting the homeland from viking invaders and suffering pretty terrible conditions while doing so, he was an academic. He loved studying, when he could, and translated several works from Latin to English, among them Boethius' "Consolation of Philosophy"…a favorite around here. :) He wrote a great letter on this which I thought you might like to read:
"King Alfred bids greet Bishop Waerferth with his words lovingly and with friendship. I let it be known to thee that it has very often come into my mind what wise men there formerly were throughout England, both church and lay folk, and how happy times there were then throughout England, and how the kings who had power over the nation in those days obeyed God and His ministers, and preserved peace, morality, and order at home, and at the same time enlarged their territory abroad, and prospered both in war and in wisdom: and how zealous were God’s ministers in teaching and in learning, and in all the services they owed Him: and how men came from oversea in search of wisdom and instruction, which we should now have to get from thence if we would have them. So far has it fallen in England that few there are on this side Humber who understand the English of their service or can translate a letter from Latin, nor are there many, I know, beyond Humber more learned. There were so few of them that I cannot remember one south of Thames 2 when I first began to reign. God Almighty be thanked that we have any teachers among us now. And therefore I command thee, as I believe thou wouldst, to free thyself from worldly matters and apply the wisdom which God has given thee as thou art able. Consider what punishment shall fall upon us for the sake of this world, if we have neither loved wisdom ourselves nor suffered other men to obtain it, if we have loved the name of Christian only, and very few of us its duties.

When I considered all this I remembered how I had seen, before the land had been ravaged and burnt, how its churches stood filled with treasures and books, and with a multitude of His servants, but they had very little knowledge of the books, and could not understand them, for they were not written in their own language. As who should say: ‘Our forefathers who before us held these places, loved wisdom, and through it they obtained wisdom, and left it to us. Here may we still see their footprints, but we cannot follow them up and therefore have we lost both wealth and wisdom, since we would not incline our hearts to their example.’ When I remembered all this, I much marvelled that the good and wise men who were formerly all over England, and had perfectly learnt all these books, did not wish to translate 3 them into their own tongue. But soon I answered myself and said: ‘They weened not that men should be so reckless and that learning would so decay, in that mind they forbore it, wishing that wisdom in this land might increase with our knowledge of languages.’ Then I remembered how the Law was first known in Hebrew, and after, when the Greeks had learned it, they translated it whole into their tongue, and all other books as well. And the Latins in turn when they had learned it, translated the whole by learned interpreters into their own speech, and also all other Christian nations translated some part into their own language. Therefore it seems well to me, if ye think so, for us also to translate the books most needful for all men to know into the speech which all men know, and, as we are well able if we have peace, to make all the youth in England of free men rich enough to devote themselves to it, to learn while they are unfit for other occupation till they are well able to read English writing: and let those be afterwards taught Latin who are to continue learning and be promoted to higher rank.

When I remembered how Latin-learning had decayed in England, and yet many could read English, I began during the various and manifold troubles of this realm to translate into English the 4 book which is called in Latin Cura Pastoralis, and in English Shepherd’s Book sometimes word for word, and sometimes according to the sense, as I had learned it from Plegmund my archbishop, and Asser my bishop, and Grimbold and John my mass-priests. And when I had learned it as I could best understand and most clearly interpret it, I translated it into English; and I will send a copy to every bishopric in my kingdom; and on each there is a clasp worth 50 mancus. And I command in God’s name that no man take the clasp from the book or the book from the minster; it is uncertain how long there may be such learned bishops as now are, thanks be to God, nearly everywhere. Therefore I wish them always to remain in their place, unless the bishop wish to take them with him, or they be lent out anywhere, or any one make a copy from them."

Also, did you know that Jefferson thought it might be a good idea to put Hengist and Horsa on the Great Seal of the United States? I thought that was rather funny, and imagine the Indians would have been able to draw out a parallel fairly easily. ;) On the back of the seal he wanted to put Pharaoh riding through the parted Red Sea chasing after the Israelites seeking the Promised Land. I'm guessing he was casting King George as Pharaoh about to be swallowed up by the Red Sea, and the Americans as the Israelites. :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version