Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: maria rioux's syllabus Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 11 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Cay! So fun to bump into you again! I'm sorry you won't be going to the Houston conference because I also could probably take quite some time before I got enough of you. ;)
The new syllabi is much improved...more detailed, better books...but same format...basic texts all broken down so Mom doesn't have to figure out what's a reasonable goal for this day. We have schedules for each year, too...maybe I should post those because it can be a pain to figure out how to get it all in. :)
By TA I'm assuming you mean Marcia's TAA...because if you already graduated from TAC...you wouldn't be looking at under-grad schools...:) I will keep my eye out for Monica, and be happy to help. If they plan a visit, but have trouble with the details, let them know we often put people up in our home. No frills...no mints....just a comfy bed and a decent meal...meals...whatever is needed.
I hope you and your family have been well and are happy. I miss you.
BTW, no results yet on Tom, but Adrienne's shoulder bone does not have to be shaved just yet. We're hoping she makes it past puberty...or else we'll have to do it twice and it's a painful procedure. Once would be far better. Happily, no change in cells, no bone cancer on the horizon...no explanation of her symptoms, either...but...they have subsided, so...maybe we'll never know and I'm fine with that.

Must dash.
God bless you, Cay, and your family!
Maria
Back to Top View Maria Rioux's Profile Search for other posts by Maria Rioux

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Please do post the schedules- I love the look of the syllabi (and am very excited about designing mine the same way with just changing up a few of the books), but it can be such a bear to know how much is enough and how to fit it in reasonably!!

Prayers for you and your family....

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Does anyone have a link for the new syllabus?   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

asplendidtime wrote:
Does anyone have a link for the new syllabus?   

It's still a work in progress. Maria her first wedding in the family this month! There is a plan to have it uploaded at Homeschool Connections, but life sidetracked it a bit.

Her original site with the old curriculum was bumped up again so that people could use that in the meantime.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

It's been quite a while since I last posted. I feel like I've been 30 fathoms deep both because of the many things we've been doing and the reason why we're doing them. Angela is our first child to marry, and I have so much to relate I am certain I cannot do so in a single post. That's probably a mercy. ;) I'll just hit the main things, starting with those most pertinent to this list.
First of all, some great reads: Naked in Bagdad. I know it sounds odd, but it really is an awesome book. It's Ann Garrell's account of her time in Bagdad before, during and after Iraq War II. There's just a couple very short portions that use language/describe things I would characterize as adult...and also extraneous as in not necessary though not gratuitous, either....but in no way over the top graphic. For example, when speaking of Saddam Hussein's sons, she mentions their immoral and brutal ways. She doesn't go into great detail, but it's not something I would want Adrienne (14) hearing about/considering. I especially benefited from her driver, Amer (not his real name). Seeing Iraq through his eyes gave me a better understanding of the problems we face having won the war but not yet the peace. The book has surprisingly little political slant...is quite balanced, I think, which is unusual...especially for NPR. It's also, in a way, a bit of a love story because Ann's narrative is interspersed with her husband's updates to family and friends. Exactly the kind I like: depth without too much sentimentality/TMI.
My husband recently read a book he found both gripping and enlightening: Son of Hamas. http://www.amazon.com/Son-Hamas-Gripping-Political-Unthinkab le/dp/1414333080/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313593344&sr=8-1
I just started it and it is quite good. I don't know how brutal it may get and will not want to keep going with it if it does cross my threshold for that, but so far it's terrific.

I take back my partial recommendation of Dershowitz's book. It started out good but ended up being a political vehicle. Puhhh-tuueh-ee. I think that's Jewish for the contempt I have. If not, it should be. It was still interesting and not a waste of time, but certainly mostly rhetoric, and not for kiddoes. Too many of the crimes were ugly. It did give me a glimpse of our legal system not imagined before. One case was particularly sad because the lawyer was semi-trapped by attorney-client privilege. He worked hard for justice without compromise, but it ended up very badly. People. Sometimes i really do wonder how it can be that God loves each of us so dearly when we too often are so unlovable, cruel and nasty. I think that especially when I read about victimized children. Our God is an awesome God...and fallen nature really is a force to be reckoned with....which is why He provides us with His grace. :) I just wish we all always cooperated with it!

I just started rereading B-16's "Jesus of Nazareth." If you've not yet read it, I think you'd really enjoy/benefit from doing so. There are several parts I particularly enjoyed, but I probably only have time to quote one:
"As historical-critical scholarship advanced, it led to finer and finer distinctions between layers of tradition in the Gospels, beneath which the real object of faith... the figure of Jesus....became increasingly obscured and blurred. At the same time, though, the reconstructions of this Jesus (who could only be discovered by going behind the traditions and sources used by the Evangelists) became more and more incompatible with one another: at the end of the spectrum, Jesus was the anti-Roman revolutionary working...though finally failing...to overthrow the ruling powers; at the other end, he was the meek moral teacher who approves everything and unaccountably comes to grief. If you read a number of these reconstructions one after the other, you see at once that far from uncovering an icon that has become obscured over time, they are much more like photographs of their authors and the ideals they hold. Since then there has been a growing skepticism about these portrayals of Jesus, but the figure of Jesus Himself has for that very reason receded even further into the distance."
B-16 is devastatingly funny. :)

I have a lot of other books I'd like to comment on, but uppermost in my thoughts this day is still Angela and Tyler, and their wedding, which was beautiful. If we're friends on FB, I posted pics.
I have to say I think it especially....sweet?.... that Tyler and Angela sort of mildly fought over the perpetual adoration chapel. Each wanted time to pray before the wedding. Angela got to the church early to dress and primp but hoped and planned to have time to pray. Tyler also came early, to pray...thereby cramping her style as the groom may not see the bride before the designated moment. This little practical problem had not occurred to either. Tyler, very gentlemanly, deferred. Maybe he went to the Abbey church instead. It would have been a hop, skip, and a jump since the mass was at the original abbey and both are on the BC campus (For new members, that's Benedictine College where my husband has taught for 25 years.). In any case, they went to mass every day they could before the wedding, and set aside time to pray beforehand as well. What a great start! :)
The wedding mass was beautiful. I did think I might....would likely?.... cry, but I didn't even come close. I suppose I could be a cold-hearted sod, but I think not. I am, in fact, a happy mother: of both our daughter and our new son. It helps that they'll be living a mile away. :)
I don't really have time to tell you everything, and I doubt you'd like to hear all the details, but this much is true: Richard Berquist and Daniel Quinan are awesome and gracious dancers, and Sam (3) will almost certainly follow in their footsteps. We're calling him a Midwest Beach Boy, giving a hat-tip to the song, :"Two girls for every boy....." This is why:

First Tyler danced with Angela, then Jean with Angela and Tyler with his mom, Debbie. Then it was Jean and I, Tyler and Angela, Marlin and Debbie...at which point I hear Sam say...in a voice too loud to be ignored...."What's going on?!?" It didn't take him too long to figure out what was going on, apparently, because in no time he was "dancing" with not one but two little girls....then one...then two again...and then his cousin, Zachary? That might have been a consolation prize kinda thing since he had "cut in" on Zachary earlier and sauntered off with Celine. ;) At one point Celine (Tyler's niece...a very sweet little redhead)) cornered him and spent a decent amount of time fixing his tie, which didn't really need it. He was a little taken aback, but suffered it manfully.

For those of you so patiently still waiting on our updated curriculum, you'll be happy to know the last wedding guest was taken to the airport yesterday afternoon, and we're starting school on Monday, so I will be plowing through all grades, making additional corrections and changes. Maureen is way more efficient and techy than I so I imagine she'll get them posted on Homeschool Connections pretty quickly after I zap them to her.

Okay, back to work! I'll try to catch you up on a couple other fun books and interesting resources over the next few days/week.
Thanks for your prayers for Tyler and Angela, and for our family. :)
God bless, Maria

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Oh Maria,
It was so good to read this update from you! Congratulations on gaining a son-in-law! I do so miss reading your e-mails from when Michele still had the FCL e-mail list. I'm glad you poke your nose in here from time to time to give us all a glimpse on how you and your family are doing.

God bless,

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Great to hear from you, Valerie! I also miss email friends from former but now defunct egroups, and yet a good many are e-friends still, either on my own group (The History Place) or Willa's (CCE). A good many more have become friends IRL, and that has been such an unlooked for and yet tremendous blessing. Just a couple months ago Sabine (little Joseph) and Beate met me in Houston (I speak at once conference a year and this time it was ARCH's Houston Conference)and shared the lovely B&B that was provided for me. It had plenty of room for all of us, and we stayed up until waaay too long just delighting in being able to be friends in the same place and time. Such experiences have always made me more aware...and more grateful...for the Body of Christ and the family of God because I truly do feel the beauty of each through those who, though not blood-related, are yet sisters to me.

I thought you might enjoy the post which preceded the one I sent here...but I imagine I can only get away with doing that once or twice before the forum police (Hi, Jen! :)) make me aware of the appropriate place to post such things...which, for me, would be a death knell. :) I know it's me, but navigating forums always seems to take forever, and I just don't have much free time. You might enjoy knowing Angela and Tyler have been friends since they were nine. :) Tyler half-lived at our home for years...a decade, for sure. He'd come over to play after school and stay for dinner....then clean-up, prayers, and more play time. After we'd lived here for about two years his father called Jean at tax time to ask if we were going to claim him as a dependent, or should they? ;)
I hope you and your family are well and happy, and really enjoyed seeing your name in my inbox again. :)
Love, Maria
Old post:
Today is the day. :) In about 3 hours the rest of the fam will start to rise, by 9 am the girls will be off to get their hair happily arranged by Tyler's aunt...a hair dresser. Last night Adrienne had fun doing the nails of anyone who might like that in a style called, "French"...so appropriate given our family history, and also quite pretty and in no way garish. Richard Berquist, Daniel Quinan and Joe Brehany all got in without a problem (thanks for your prayers for safe travels!). Fr. Paul is here, Jean's brother flew in a few days ago, and my sister flew in yesterday...it is soooo fun to have her here! I finished my dress last night, proving, in case I was unaware, that I am a procrastinator. :) Angela's veil is also done, and worked out quite nicely. Everything is done, actually...her dress hemmed and tucked where necessary, the decorations in Benedictine's campus cafeteria (where the reception is) all done. I'm having fun making cinnamon rolls and omelets to surprise Angela on this, the last morning she is to wake up a part of our home as opposed to making her own.
Sam has been quite funny. Last night Jean told him it was time for bed and he responded, "But it's 9:32! I can't go to bed yet!!!!" About an hour later I told him it was time for bed and got the same response....which I ignored. I think it is funny that he came up with it as he has no sense of time at all. He must have heard Will say something like that some evening.

We went to the Omaha Zoo on Monday as a family...with Uncle Peter and Tyler coming along as well. It was a longer drive than usual because of all the flooding and the bridges that are out, but it was well worth the effort. Sam and Will especially had fun, and our delight was amplified vicariously....by delighting in them and through their eyes. Sam was, at points, naughty. While trapped in the car for 3 hours, he got a little nutty and nasty to Will. Jean told him there was no more arguing, which he argued about. ;) Jean responded, "That's enough!" in an authoritative manner. Sam then said, "Okay. Dat's it. I'm telling Mom. Mom? Dad is speaking nasty to me." I was kinda surprised he didn't throw in the suspicion that it was "irrespectful"...something he likes to bring up ever since I told him what he had just said to me was disrespectful.
We straightened him out and reestablished the order of command.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Wow, Adrienne is 14!!!!!! Hi Maria, so good to see you here again!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

She is...almost. :) Her birthday is the 27th of this month. She just posted her birthday list on our 'fridge...a family custom. I particularly enjoyed reading, "primping equipment." I feel certain this is not the technical term. :)
In terms of good health, she's doing great. We still go to Children's Mercy regularly, and she will have to have her shoulder bone shaved before too much longer, but, other than that, the chemo did exactly what it was supposed to do, and so far, no serious side effects. We'll/she'll always have to check for secondary cancers, but having come this far with only one minor side effect is hugely hopeful. If you saw her, you'd be amazed at how robust she looks. You'd never know she spent 2.5 years on chemo every day. I look at her and, almost immediately, thank God. I spend a little time just marveling at the blessing she is...but then quickly remember Who gave her to us and then allowed us to keep her. :)

God bless, Maria

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Great news! Maureen at Homeschool Connections is now uploading the new syllabi. ScribD will have all the files!

Thank you, Maria and Maureen!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Thank-you so very much!    

Congratulations!    I wish your daughter much joy!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

JennGM wrote:
Great news! Maureen at Homeschool Connections is now uploading the new syllabi. ScribD will have all the files!

Thank you, Maria and Maureen!

For some reason that site is misbehaving for me. Anyone else having problems?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just clicked and downloaded no problem.

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

I'm working on getting the last couple downloads sent. :) Angela and Tyler came home last night and I got a little distracted by happily welcoming them back home and today helping a bit with putting their house in order. Every Friday we have other kids over to play for the day, so it's a little dicey but not yet wacky. :) That's because I was able to put Sam down for a nap. :)
With regard to the link, so far, it seems to be working....
We're going to complete it tonight...or maybe early tomorrow. In point of fact, that's just the basic curriculum, not the schedules, tests, additional helps, quarterly tests, I plan to post, but it all takes time of which we each have little extra.
God bless,
Maria

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

JennGM wrote:
I just clicked and downloaded no problem.

I was having some weird pop-up activity, but switched from Firefox to Chrome and it worked fine.
Thanks, Maria, for all your hard work. It all looks great!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Just FYI: All grades are done and sent on to Maureen. I don't think she's uploaded 11 and 12 yet, but she's so efficient, I'm sure they'll be up soon. I'll try to get the schedules, tests, additional helps sent along soon, but I need to refinish Angela's desk first, and only in between schooling the other kids and bringing Marie back and forth from her class at Benedictine, so don't hold your breath. :) Here's the link again:

http://www.scribd.com/homeschoolconnections.
If that doesn't work, try:

http://www.scribd.com/collections/3213645/St-Thomas-School-F ree-Curriculum

God bless, Maria

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

I just wanted to post the latest links so that you don't have to go through Scribd, which is no longer free (or it is a real pain to use if you don't want to pay.) Maria's husband, Jean, put them up at his site but you need to know the URL to find it. Here they are:

www.shirreware.com/Curricula/Grade11Schedule2011.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/Grade4Schedule2011.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/Grade9Schedule2011.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeEight.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeEleven.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeFive.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeFour.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeNine.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeOne.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeSeven.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeSix.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeTen.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeThree.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeTwelve.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/GradeTwo.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Curricula/K.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/ComedyofErrors.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/Hamlet.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/HenryV.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/IntrotoShakespeare.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/JuliusCaesarScript.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/Macbeth.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/MerchantofVenicePlay.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/MidsummerNight'sDreamNotes.pd f
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/TamingoftheShrew-Question.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/TamingoftheShrew.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/TheTempest.pdf
www.shirreware.com/Shakespeare/TwelfthNight.pdf

(Sorry I didn't get a chance to make all the links active--just copy and paste into your browser an the pdf will come up.)

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

jjmpfu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 26 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote jjmpfu

Oh thank you Kris! I was looking at those on Scribd and really liked the curriculum set up. Thank you so much for sharing!!
Back to Top View jjmpfu's Profile Search for other posts by jjmpfu

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 26 2012 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Hello. I don't do very well with the forum format, so I almost never duck in here, but I recently got a notification that Kris had sent along the links to my husband's website that also has our curricula. (Thanks, Kris!) Now that I'm here, I thought I try to quickly address some of your concerns/questions. It'll have to be quick, though, because our first little grandbaby is now home (our daughter and her husband live about a mile from here) and we're pretty busy delighting in her and getting ready for her Baptism on Sunday. :) I'm also majorly reorganizing for the coming schoolyear. It's coming along great, but if I sit here too long, I won't get much done!
Anyway, we now have 9 children (oldest is 28; youngest is 4). Three are college grads (2 TAC and 1 Benedictine), one is a sophomore at Benedictine, one is straddling high school and 6 hours at Benedictine/semester, 1 is a sophomore in high school, one a 5th grader, and one will be in kindergarten. We've been using this approach for 24 years, though it didn't look like this when we started.:) When we started there was almost nuthin' out there and we were stuck with science books that hoped we might one day go to the moon. The other option was science books that spewed all kinds of scientific garbage. Anyway, if we can do this, anyone can. :) It might not suit you, and you should always adjust and pitch as you please and as does suit you, but it sure helped me over the years to have it all planned out and scheduled. Did we always follow it exactly? Are you serious? There are clearly things in there that are bootable... and we gave them the boot whenever we needed to. I don't have time right now to more specifically tell you how we implemented this concretely, but I can tell you it saved our bacon when our 4 year old was diagnosed with leukemia. That was 1 year of intense chemo and 1.5 of maintenance level...chemo every day your liver can take it for 2.5 years. Adrienne was diagnosed mid-semester, and because we had a plan and every child had a syllabus and schedule, even when I was not there, they knew what to do. One of the ways they helped was to do what they could diligently...but they couldn't really have done that if we had not already had the year mapped out.
Anyway, I hope it's helpful to you. I am working on a FAQ's on how we implement it, sample tests, teacher helps, and also plan to post my five different homeschooling talks on Jean's website...but it's really busy right now. I don't think I'll get to updating the website until mid-July. The Shakespeare notes are my own from an independent study I took at Benedictine years ago. It's my notes for class/my papers and don't be a bit surprised if some Shakespearean scholars totally disagree with me. My professor certainly did here and there. :) I always backed my argument up with text, and I did great in the course, so it can't be total garbage, but I did think you should know this is ...what it is. :)

God bless, Maria
P.S. Since I find the forum means truly painfully difficult (techno-challenged), if you have questions and would like to correspond, write me privately: jrioux@bbwi.net.
Back to Top      View Maria Rioux's Profile

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Thank you so much for this Maria! How is your daughter doing now, if you don't mind my asking? I'll look forward to your homeschool talks! :). Thank you again!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version