Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: maria rioux's syllabus Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Can anybody provide a link to this? I know I have seen it before but I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I had a link, but it's not pulling up the Rioux's right now. I've written to Maria to let her know.

I also know she's working on revising the syllabi and posting them, but not quite done.

this was the old link

I've been thrilled with her book recommendations and have had fun hunting down some titles.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

That is the link I had. I thought I had it wrong. I guess I'll have to wait until she updates.

Thanks,

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, gosh!
Please do share when she gets them back up!They are such a great resource!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

idahodebra
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote idahodebra

You can still it up in google, as it is cached.

Kindy

Fifth

First

Second

Third

Sixth

Gah! It ended up out of order. Also note that 4th grade is missing.

Debra
Back to Top View idahodebra's Profile Search for other posts by idahodebra

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, thanks Debra! I couldn't find it on web archive, but forgot about the Google cache.

She's thinking of putting this all on a blog, now, but each grade will be updated, like I mentioned. The changes are a wonderful improvement.

I'll keep prodding her.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I know that her suggestions have helped me tremendously make plans every year. Every time she recommends a book, I know it is a keeper. I can't wait to see what the revised plans look like, either!

I know her sister IRL and she says "You can't imagine the conversation around that dinner table, I can't keep up!" LOL She is a very sharp lady!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Debra,
How did you find these files? I am looking for the third grade syllabus but when I clicked on the link for third grade, grade five comes up. I tried "Googling"and then going where it says cached but I got the same "domain has expired" page.

idahodebra
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote idahodebra

Natalia,

How I found them is a bit convoluted and difficult to explain. I thought that I had verified that all of the links were correct before I posted them, but 3rd grade is no longer available, as well as 1st grade. I don't know how long the cache is stored. I have started copying the others into word docs to save. Also, I may have printed them all off, so if I find the 3rd grade one, I'll scan it or arrange to send you a hard copy.

Debra

edit: Sorry, I only have the plans up to 2nd grade :(
Back to Top View idahodebra's Profile Search for other posts by idahodebra

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks Debra but somebody else was kind enough to email me a copy of the third grade syllabus.

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Hi, guys!
I stumbled across this thread when I tried to find a talk I give and posted on the web! I guess I should try to pop over here more often, but I find the forum set up so hard to navigate, it takes me forever to figure out what is where, and I just don't have that much e-time.
I did want you to know that I am nearly done updated all grades, and this year all grades will be available online. (In the past I never got past uploading Grade 7. :( Techy things are a challenge to me...) I plan to be done by the end of this week...which is good because we start schooling on Monday. :) In addition to the syllabi, I am putting together a Juior Great Books program with my husband, Jean. I'm also thinking of putting together a similar thing but focused upon faith and reason. Jean already teaches a 3 semester class on that at Benedictine, and I think it could easily be adapted somewhat to suit high schoolers and better prepare them to handle objections to faith, skepticism, while also deepening their faith and better appreciating how reason serves that.

Anyway, that's a quick update on what I'm doing and when you can plan on checking out the updated syllabi. If you're on Facebook, you can see family pics. :)

It such fun to see old friends here, and to make new ones. God bless you!
Maria
Back to Top View Maria Rioux's Profile Search for other posts by Maria Rioux

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Oh, sad to say, I probably won't be very good about keeping up with you here, but if you write me personally (jrioux@bbwi.net) I'm pretty quick about getting back to you that way. :) If you desperately want to look at year X before I have a chance to post them, I'll try to find time to zap it to you.

God bless, Maria

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Thank you, Maria! I printed out your plans earlier this year and they were a great help while planning our year!
I'm excited to see the updates/ new years! Thanks!!!
Suzette
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Oh wait! I missed the link somehow! Is there a link to a new site? Or is it just on Facebook, alas I am not on Facebook.   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Is there a new link now?

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

mamaslearning wrote:
Is there a new link now?

Not yet. Maria is working to put it all together, but she's had some bumps along the road, and family comes first.

If you could say a prayer for her so she can get it done soon. She was hoping in the next few weeks, but no definites.

I have a few of the early grades, if you want to see her older versions. Just PM your email address.

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Thanks Jennifer! I went to the documents linked above, but I was going to see if there were changes in the new documents she is working on now.

I'll pray for her and her family and their "bumps".

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 04 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Do her plans only go through junior high level?

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 04 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Thanks, Jenn, both for giving an update and sending along posts...or maybe those just came to my inbox? I'm sorry to say I don't duck in here very often...or at all unless asked. I'm just not accustomed to forums and have little etime as it is, so learning how to navigate them is not on my radar. :)
By way of excuse...and also a bid for prayers...it's been a little medical around here for some time. Adrienne will need surgery but happily not yet, Tom(who has Down Syndrome) is having heart issues/vein problems, and Jean needed to have his head examined. It was actually his ear, but I thought the other way of expressing that was more fun...and when it come to medical stuff, relax as you can.
First of all, then, my apologies. I never dreamed it could take me so long to do what ought to be not so complicated. Part of my problem is that I'm a bit of a perfectonist and I would go over this or that year and think how fun it would be to expand the reading list, or include this or that which was so fun but didn't work well for every child...so it would be optional. Forget that.
The other part of my problem is that I really stink at techy things, I hate the very idea of blogging, and trying to learn WordPress et all was a major headache for me. I did try. I was found hugely wanting.;)Happily, with the help of a good and capable friend, I have found a much better solution. Our syllabi will be available, no charge, through Homeschool Connections. I am almost done with the reformatting, so a week from now is not unrealistic...unless Tom needs to have his veins mapped.
I spent most of today at the hospital, everything looks good so far...but that just means we don't have an answer for his problem.
Lastly, someone asked...
Our curriculum is K-12. It's what we use...though I will undoubtedly continue to add to the reading list, switch out a text or two if another better one comes along...and will also include recommends for audio courses which are hugely helpful not just to our high school students but to me...because there's so much I do not know, would like to better understand and work on all the time. And yet, among audio courses there are some real gems and some real dogs.
We have the advantage of being able to send our high school aged children to Benedictine for various courses...languages, advanced math, electives...which incline towards theology and philosophy...go figure. :)
Homeschool Connections is making that kind of thing accessible to every high school student...and to me, too. College professors teach in real time, interactively, but at a high school level. I'll include a review our daughter, Marie (then 14) wrote about two courses she took. The one (What Philosophers Do and How they Do It) will be offered again starting March 17th. I know Dr. Harris is teaching a personal finance seminar this summer sometime. Other than that, check the website for options.
Oh, I'll be speaking in Houston(UST..ARCH Conference) at the end of April. I'll bring my most favorite books, and will have nothing to think about beyond helping you get started, keep going, or get recharged. Been there, done that, happy to help as I can. Come by!
God bless,
Maria
A Touch of Class
By Marie Therese Rioux
     We don't often participate in a class, but this semester my brother Ben and I were able to take two internet classes through Homeschool Connections: “What Do Philosophers Do and How Do They Do It?”, and “Microeconomics.” I enjoyed both tremendously! My Dad taught the philosophy class, and it was more familiar. We often discuss philosophical questions during dinner and learn a lot that way. This was very different, though. Rather than have Dad introduce some logical conundrum, and then sit back with a contented smirk on his face while we consider it, this was a team effort. The whole class prepared a reading, and we discussed it together. And Dad helped us! He knows how to ask the right questions…the ones that lead the mind to the right answers. We read St. Thomas Aquinas' Five Ways in which he proves the existence of God, although these proofs do not identify Him as the Christian God. (That's a job for Faith, not reason.) We began by wondering if the existence of God was self-evident, but soon discarded that idea. The very fact that someone can object to the existence of God indicates that it is not self-evident. We then asked if the existence of God could be demonstrated, and, using Aquinas' arguments, showed that it not only could be done, it has been done. I loved the First Way (the “Unmoved Mover”) best because it's so simple. Understanding the First Way took a while, but it was interesting to see the insights of the other students, ones I had not considered before.
     Philosophy has the reputation of being difficult to understand and inaccessible to the average person but it's really not. In fact, part of the beauty of philosophy is that the arguments, once you understand them, are often surprisingly simple. In fact, philosophers, I learned, love simplifying things! They have a principle called “Ockham's Razor” to “shave” or eliminate unnecessary causes. It's exactly what Mr. Strunk insists we do when writing: “Omit needless words. Omit needless words. Omit needless words.” Not all arguments are simple of course, but even the more difficult ones can be distilled or broken down into parts. The class was both informative and fun. It helped me to ground my beliefs in logical argument that, in turn, helped me to hold them more firmly. It also helped to see more clearly why some arguments don't really work. For example, St. Anselm's ontological argument seemed quite persuasive when we began the discussion, but we soon saw significant problems. Using Anselm's reasoning, we would have to conclude that the most perfect unicorn must exist…and, well…it doesn't. Having my Dad as a teacher was wonderful, especially because we could continue the discussion when he came home at night.
     I was expecting Microeconomics to be fairly difficult, but I was pleasantly surprised. The teacher, Dr. Harris from Benedictine College, was able to translate the subject into clear and easily understandable terms, while still retaining the important concepts. I learned a lot, and enjoyed myself at the same time. Dr. Harris was humorous, and careful to make sure that everyone understood what he intended to convey, but not willing to squander time aching over every aspect. I knew economics was useful…somehow…to somebody, but I didn't expect it to be so useful, and interesting, to me! I learned about the inner workings of market forces and how these might practically impact business decisions. Dr. Harris didn't just teach the basics of economics, though. He showed us how the social teaching of the Church works for the common good by overcoming poor or immoral business practices. A fringe benefit, as an economist might say if he were unsparing in his words, is that my fantasy worlds are more realistic. I am an aspiring writer, but, until now, a comparatively poor economist. It's incredibly helpful to have a better understanding of how economics works, so that I can apply similar financial structures to my worlds. I am very glad that I had the opportunity to take these classes, grateful to those that made them available, and hopeful that I can do it again next semester!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Maria Rioux wrote:
Oh, I'll be speaking in Houston(UST..ARCH Conference) at the end of April.

Ah, the year I'm not attending.
Even though we've already met in person I would have loved to have spent more time talking.

I have a hs friend who's very interested in Benedictine. She graduated from Thomas Aquainas in CA. If she attends, I will direct her to you. Her name is Monica.

Can't wait to see the new-revised-improved syllabus. Exciting. I have an older stapled copy that I used w/ #3 and #4.

Hope everyone gets good health reports and your mind is put at peace.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version