Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: First Form Latin for High School? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 08 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Has anyone used First Form Latin as an alternative to Henle for High School? Memoria Press is also coming out with 2nd, 3rd and 4th Form to cover the 4 years of Henle. It seems to be to be easier for student who is learning on their own. MP says that it is not just for beginners that even students who have completed LC 2 would be okay with it.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Yes, we're using it.

I had originally thought that 1st Form + 2nd Form would equal one high school credit, but on their message boards they say that each "form" counts as a whole credit. I can't compare it with Henle, but it does seem to be fairly easy for the kids to complete on their own... although you may still need to help ferret out an answer or figure out why an answer is what it is. There are 4 or 5 workbook pages for every lesson, plus a quiz, with a test at the end of each unit. We have the DVDs, too, but my kids don't particularly like watching them; I think that's just personal preference, though. They'd rather read the text and figure it out themselves.

My kids had completed LC 1 when we started. My 13 yo goes faster than my 11 yo (he does a lesson a week, basically), but it seems to be ok for both of them.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Angela for the review.

I am looking at Latin Alive as a strong favorite- though I am also keeping First Form in mind - it seems to be a better fit for us than Henle from my reviews of both.

I like the Latin Alive more because of the classical readings similar to Wheelock.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I have seen that MP recommends Lingua Angelica and Lingua Biblica as translation courses to be used alongside First Form, Second Form, etc.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2010 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Angel wrote:
I have seen that MP recommends Lingua Angelica and Lingua Biblica as translation courses to be used alongside First Form, Second Form, etc.

Thanks so much for pointing this out Angela. That makes First Form more attractive to me. I have Lingua Angelica - I did not even know about Lingua Biblica. My dh is reviewing programs before our final decision and I think that he prefers First Form.

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

My dd 15 has enjoyed First Form so much more than Henle. We started with Henle last year and she hated it. We then took a long break and started back in with Latin for the last quarter using First Form. She was back to loving Latin! We're both looking forward to finishing up First Form this year and I hope to throw in some of the Lingua Angelica for translation work.

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

vmalott wrote:
My dd 15 has enjoyed First Form so much more than Henle. We started with Henle last year and she hated it. We then took a long break and started back in with Latin for the last quarter using First Form. She was back to loving Latin! We're both looking forward to finishing up First Form this year and I hope to throw in some of the Lingua Angelica for translation work.

Valerie - thanks for replying. Did you use the dvds? I am trying to figure out whether my dd needs them or not.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2010 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Marilyn

I nearly bought them last year but the boys lost interest in Latin and I need to put energy elsewhere at present. Having said that they are my first choice and if we go ahead we'll certainly be buying the DVDs.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

adnilpress
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote adnilpress

We have completed First Form Latin. I absolutely loved it. I found things began to 'click' - finally!

We had previously completed Prima Latina, Latina Christiana 1 & 2, and had just begun Henle when First Form was released.

I felt it explained things in greater detail than LCII, and that there were more practice exercises, which cemeted the information.

I had planned to move onto Second Form, but my teens tell me they have had enough Latin.   

Oh, well - time to begin the younger ones on Prima Latina - I was running out of hours in the day, anyways.   

God bless,

Homeschooling over 13 years.
Wife to Bill, Mother of 8, aged 8 to 18.
Back to Top View adnilpress's Profile Search for other posts by adnilpress Visit adnilpress's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I am going with Second Form. We have been DRAGGING with Henle and my kids say they will never finish the book! So we will do Second Form- the only thing that has kept me from it is that my son loves all the long translations in Henle, whereas second form has very short things!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2010 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Could someone tell me in what order we should use these resources. We began a few years ago with Latina Christina I but never finished. A local woman who teaches a homeschool Latin class highly recommended the program Seton uses, but when I went to their website it seemed they listed three programs (Henle, First Form, and Latina Christina).

I'm very confused at the moment! :) Are the Latina and First Form programs in the same series? I believe Henle is a separate program, correct?

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2010 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

The 'Forms' series was made by Memoria Press to replace the first book of Henle. It is more grammar heavy, with more grammar practice and such, and less lengthy translation work. It is also easier for the novice Latin teacher.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Teachin'Mine2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Teachin'Mine2

In it's regular Latin classes, Seton uses Henle, but they have all three mentioned available in their book catalog.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version