Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: need suggestions French/Indian war Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
robinhigh
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote robinhigh

Picture books, historical fiction... 2nd and 4th grade
Back to Top View robinhigh's Profile Search for other posts by robinhigh

LisaC
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote LisaC

I don't know if these are what you're looking for, but I'd also like to hear some suggestions.

I never knew much about the French and Indian War, much less about the history of the French in Canada. After learning some, I was a little sad that the French didn't take a stronger lead in the new world only because then Catholicism would have had a greater influence?

Anyway, I was teaching 3rd and 1st grade and I just tried to give them a good sense of what life was like for the French in Canada. So we read a lot of books and some had hints of conflicts with the English.

We are using How Our Nation Began as our spine and there is a chapter on how the "French Lose Their Land in North America."
Vision Books: Kateri Tekakwitha and Fr. Marquette.
Holy friends : Thirty Saints and Blesseds of the Americas by Diana M. Amadeo (Lots of French/Canadians.)
Madeleine Takes Command by Ethel C. Brill
Struggle for a Continent: The French and Indian Wars, 1689-1763 by Betsy Maestro (Nonfiction, with some good maps, illustrations and basic information.)
The French & Colonial Quebec, DVD series: Colonial Life for Children (They mention the French and Indian War.)

Back to Top View LisaC's Profile Search for other posts by LisaC

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2010 at 5:50am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Blue Feather's Vision

The Mathlock Gun

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2010 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

This book would be above the ages you're looking for Robin, but I'm going to mention it in case someone else might be doing French/Indian War across the ages.

Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare is a realistic historical book that is wonderful and is set at the beginnning of the French and Indian War. It is a true story based on the life of Susana Willard Johnson, whose family is abducted by Indians. The book is written from the perspective of her younger sister, Miriam.

This is a great book for 12+, mainly for intense themes as the family is abducted, jailed, and there is some romance (nothing naughty) as Miriam comes of age, seeks her true love and eventually marries. The context this book gives for the period of history is wonderful!

I'd second the Matchlock Gun for you, Robin. And, I really like Lisa's suggestions as well!! Hope it was ok to add an off-topic recommendation for the French and Indian War.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2010 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Struggle for a Continent: The French and Indian Wars: 1689-1763 (The American Story) Betsy Maestro

The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgleish

Priest on Horseback by Eva K. Betz

And don't forget to incorporate George Washington reading into this period. This is where his military experience began. I don't have my copy to make sure, but D'Aulaire's George Washington might fit for this.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just mentioned "Last of the Mohicans" by James Fenimore Cooper, but that's more adult.

The Massacre at Fort William Henry is pretty graphic, but an event of this war. A picture book or such would be really graphic, but a book depicting life in an early American fort would be good to have. If you have a local place to visit, that would be really good.

This past summer my son was reading Stories of Great Americans by Edward Eggleston

Preview it online

and we were visiting Fort Roberdeau where we saw grape-shot and other weapon instruments displayed. The book had references to grape-shot and other things that we were able to understand and visualize. One of those little moments! were reading

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

robinhigh
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote robinhigh

Mackfam wrote:
This book would be above the ages you're looking for Robin, but I'm going to mention it in case someone else might be doing French/Indian War across the ages.

Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare is a realistic historical book that is wonderful and is set at the beginnning of the French and Indian War. It is a true story based on the life of Susana Willard Johnson, whose family is abducted by Indians. The book is written from the perspective of her younger sister, Miriam.

This is a great book for 12+, mainly for intense themes as the family is abducted, jailed, and there is some romance (nothing naughty) as Miriam comes of age, seeks her true love and eventually marries. The context this book gives for the period of history is wonderful!

I'd second the Matchlock Gun for you, Robin. And, I really like Lisa's suggestions as well!! Hope it was ok to add an off-topic recommendation for the French and Indian War.

But, of course!! I'll just save it in my wish list for later reference.

robinhigh
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote robinhigh

JennGM wrote:
Struggle for a Continent: The French and Indian Wars: 1689-1763 (The American Story) Betsy Maestro

The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgleish

Priest on Horseback by Eva K. Betz

And don't forget to incorporate George Washington reading into this period. This is where his military experience began. I don't have my copy to make sure, but D'Aulaire's George Washington might fit for this.

Well, what I'm actually doing is making a timeline of books from Ancient Indians to the beginning of the 20th century... it's confusing because I don't know the content of the books and I've never really studied American History like this. I'll post my draft in a day or two and maybe I can get some of you to look over it and see if some of the books need to be moved around???

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was just looking through my George Washington books and two that draw on the War and are enjoyable:

Adventures of George Washington by Margaret Davidson

This one we bought from Mount Vernon which is a graphic (as in comic book form) non-fiction George Washington by David West.

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Here is a Canadian History Reading List, check under Seven Years War (the Canadian term for the war).

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm adding 3 more period books, but I haven't read them. They are in my library cart to be read the next month:

Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison by Lois Lenski. Based on the true story of the capture in 1758, and posed against the French and Indian War.

Skippack School by Marguerite d'Angeli, 1750 Skippack, Pennsylvania

Jared's Island by Marguerite d'Angeli, Story of a Scottish boy named Jared Craig who in the early 1700s shipwrecks on New Jersey's Barnagat Shoals, is rescued by a Quaker, but runs away to live with Indians.

Saints of Auriesville is the shrine of the American martyrs, but they were 100 years before the War.

Mary P. Well Smith Old Deerfield Series:

The Boy Captive of Old Deerfield
Boys of the Border
Boy Captive in Canada

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've been thinking about this time period quite a bit. Coming from different angles, this could be covered in a variety of ways.

One area that hasn't been mentioned is the Acadian connection, which is one of my personal favorites. I think I have family that might have been related to those original deported.

Longfellow's poem Evangeline would fit here (Evangeline Oak and other attractions in St. Martinville, Louisiana)

Marguerite de Angeli's Petite Suzanne

I have not checked out this book, but see it referred quite often:
Evangeline and the Acadians - Robert Tallant

Drawing an understanding of the French background, what lands they controlled (Louisiana, etc.). Acadia and Nova Scotia, Pennsylvania, and New York are key places. Dabble a bit in Pennsylvania Amish and Quaker backgrounds (William Penn, Pitt), Pittsburgh history.

And then, which tribes of Indians fought on which side? Understanding a bit more about the Indians. Chief Pontiac was a big player in the Detroit area during this war.

Faithr
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 25 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Faithr

We read Indian Captive by Lenski as a read aloud several years ago. We really enjoyed it.
Back to Top View Faithr's Profile Search for other posts by Faithr

robinhigh
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote robinhigh

What a good idea! I have a copy of the book by Tallant, but never read it... I'll have to pull it out and do a unit on the Acadians when we get to that period...after all, I am from Evangeline Parish (county in your part of the woods).

Thanks Jenn!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2010 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

robinhigh wrote:
What a good idea! I have a copy of the book by Tallant, but never read it... I'll have to pull it out and do a unit on the Acadians when we get to that period...after all, I am from Evangeline Parish (county in your part of the woods).

Thanks Jenn!!

The Expulsion of the Acadians is directly related to the French-Indian War, as it began in 1755 by the British.

I was surprised to see this hasn't been brought up before. Seems there must be some good picture books of Evangeline or related stories.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tired of me, yet? I just read in a book a reference for another living historical fiction book for this period. I haven't read it, but hope to track it down:

River of the Wolves by Stephen Meader (1948), story of a boy captured by Indians and taken to Canada after a raid on a New Hampshire settlement during the French and Indian War.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yesterday I found a book at the library used books section, A Critical History of Children's Literature, revised edition, which is extremely interesting, and helpful. So many authors and books are reviewed over the centuries, and while I am familiar with so many of them, there are quite a few I haven't heard of, and lots of ideas to add to historical or period reading lists. I'm really excited. The book I listed above was one I found.

The book also mentioned Altsheler, the first time I've heard him. Joseph Altsheler wrote several series, including a

The French & Indian War Series
Hunters of the Hills
The Rulers of the Lakes
The Lords of the Wild
The Shadow of the North
The Masters of the Peaks

Many are available online to read or download, so you can preview:

::Gutenberg
::Classic Reader
::purchase a cdrom

Already listed, but putting together, the Landmark books of this period are:

Landmark
::George Washington: Frontier Colonel by Sterling North
::Rogers Rangers and the French and Indian War by Bradford Smith
::Evangeline and the Acadians by Robert Tallant

Childhood of Famous Americans:
::Dan Morgan: Boy of the Wilderness by Bernice Bryant
::Israel Putnam: Fearless Boy by Augustua Stevenson
::Pontiac: Young Ottawa Leader by Howard Peckham

It seems like there should be more picture books.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2010 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The majority of picture books I've seen are of the factual non-fiction-y types. Not much that I would classify as quality picture book.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2010 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The majority of picture books I've seen are of the factual non-fiction-y types. Not much that I would classify as quality picture book.

Someone needs to get Deborah Hopkinson on that!!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Seems like there would be a lovely illustrated version of Evangeline to use. I saw this Evangeline for Children but it's not the original Longfellow's version.

Picture books of Indians? Which Indian tribes were dominant during this period?

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version