Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Stephen Meader books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2010 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Have any of you read (or do you own) any books by this author?

I'm trying to collect some books that we can tie in to our big moving trip later in the summer. I ran across a few titles by Stephen Meader that sounded as if they'd be good... probably good read alouds for boys. But some of them seem to be OOP enough to be expensive used on amazon.

Googling around today I found this site where you can apparently order reprints - still pricey, but not as pricey as some of the rarer titles on amazon.

Anyway, they look like great boy books so I'm wondering if I shouldn't start being on the lookout for them...

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 04 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Yes, Angela, be on the lookout for them! Definitely two thumbs up. Stephen Meader is a great "action" writer for boys. And because they are historic time periods they are great for incorporating into history studies. They have been mentioned by a few members here throught the years for good living history for boys.

I have drooled over the site you linked to many times. My brother read many of these when we were growing up - I read a few. Those covers bring back lots of memories. With my older sons we got what we could from the library and we did purchase the 4 book sailing set reprinted by Bethlehem Books (Bargain Books) - which unfortunately looks not to be offered by them any longer on their site. Must not have continued with another printing. I do keep my eyes open for them but haven't had much bargain luck with that. I'm going to try harder now with my 10 year old as I'd like to get him reading those as well in the coming years.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 01 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary mentioned more about Stephen Meader in this thread about French Indian War. I'm so glad you did! He looks really exciting. I've pulling out authors that did regional and historical novels, like Lois Lenski and Marguerite de Angeli, and I'm so happy to find another.

(that Amazon link had a review that mentioned Howard Pease and Ronald Welch. Know anything about them?)

Anyway, I was compiling a rough draft of Stephen Meader's books in a timeline or subject of sorts. I'd love any input.

Some information was from this paper
Historical Novels
::River of the Wolves (French Indian Wars)
::The Black Buccaneer (Colonial, Pirates)
::A Blow for Liberty {Revolutionary War, Cape May, Naval)
::for the Saratoga (Revolutionary War, Naval)
::The Cape May Packet (War of 1812, Naval)
::Clear for Action!] (War of 1812)
::The Fish Hawk’s Nest (1820 Cape May)
::Away to Sea (1821)
::Buffalo and Beaver (1827 Pioneer, Rocky Mountains)
::Boy With a Pack (1837 Pioneer, Ohio, Yankee peddler, Underground Railroad)
::Keep ‘Em Rolling (Oregon Trail, 1840s)
::Jonathan Goes West (transportation in 1840s, rail, schooner, steamboat, horse-drawn canal boat, walking, horseback, horse-drawn wagon)
::Who Rides in the Dark (Stagecoach New Hamphire, 1850s?)
::Whaler ‘Round The Horn (Whaling, 1840s?, also includes Hawaii and Hermann Melville)
::Voyage of the Javelin (Whaling, 1850s)
::Down the Big River (life of men working on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers in 1800s)
::Longshanks (Abe Lincoln, 1828) life of men working on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers in 1800s)
::Phantom of the Blockade (Civil War, Confederacy, Naval)
::The Muddy Road to Glory (Civil War)
::Everglades Adventure (Reconstruction)
::Buckboard Stranger (early 1900s New England)
::Trap Lines North: A True Story of the Canadian Woods (1931-32) See background and history
::The Sea Snake (Nazi, World War II)
::Shadow in the Pines (World War II)
::Sabre Pilot (Korean War)

Regional?
::Blueberry Mountain (Poconos, Pennsylvania)
::Snow on Blueberry Mountain (Poconos, Pennsylvania)
::Stranger on Big Hickory (Pennsylvania)
::Behind the Ranges (Olympic Mountains)
::Lumberjack (New Hampshire)
::King of the Hills (New Hamphire hunting season)
::Topsail Island Treasure (New Jersey Coast)
::The Commodore’s Cup (Sailing, New jersey)
::Wild Pony Island (Ocracoke, North Carolina, horse story)

Animal Stories
::Red Horse Hill (horse story)
::Cedar’s Boy (sequel, horse story)
::Skippy’s Family (Dog Story)     
::Bat, The Story Of A Bull Terrier

Boy Adventure Stories
::The Long Trains Roll (railroad)
::T-Model Tommy
::Bulldozer (mechanical)

Sports Stories:
::Lonesome End (Football)
::Sparkplug of the Hornets (basketball)
::The Will to Win and Other Stories

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One of the best things I've drawn from this forum is the discussion of books and authors. The mention of different ones, in and out of print has really opened my eyes to books I might have passed up at some time.

So today, I found a Stephen Meader book at my local used bookstore. It's Bat: The Story of a Bull Terrier. When I was typing up the list above, this was the book that I considered last on my list of desired titles. But this will give me a taste of his writing, so I did snatch it (price was good, too).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angela

I saw a number here reasonably priced.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this old thread. Recently we visited Horseshoe Curve in Altoona, Pennsylvania.

The area is remembering and reenacting for World War II, particularly the German "Operation Pastorius" which tried to sabotage the Curve. See Wikipedia for more details...(sorry for linking to Wiki).

One of the displays at the Curve talked about this German attempt and mentioned how Stephen Meader wrote a book with this story, changing the names of people and locations, but it is definitely all about the Horseshoe Curve plot.

The Long Trains Roll by Stephen Meader

It was originally published in 1944, and then republished in 2004 by Southern Skies publishing, which is reprinting Stephen Meader's books.

I'm super excited about this connection! My husband is from Altoona, so to find an author we love on a subject that is close to home, perfect!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

What an awesome discovery, Jenn. That would make my day...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 23 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
What an awesome discovery, Jenn. That would make my day...

It totally has made my week!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version