Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Remedial Spelling for Teenagers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 31 2010 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Has anyone found a particular spelling program/method that has worked well with teenagers. I'm afraid my three oldest, 16, 15 and 13 are not the strong spellers I would like and need help. Has anyone done remedial spelling with the much older child with success?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Angel

I picked up the text The Spell of Words based on a recommendation from one of your other threads, Erin, but I don't know if you were going to try it or not?

I'm using it with both my 13 yo ds and my 11 yo dd (who is a better speller than my ds, but hasn't had much formal spelling instruction). It's the only book I've found that really lays out spelling rules in a logical fashion and isn't condescending to older learners (because it's designed for older learners.)

I can't give you a final verdict on how much it's helped, because my ds has just finished up the first 3 lessons and we're taking a break. But he *seems* to be doing well with it. (Don't get me wrong; spell check is still going to be his best friend, but his spelling is getting *better*.)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2010 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angela

I remember that thread and I bought the other book recommended, ABCs and all their tricks. But I think I more need a lesson format to do a remedial crash course. Had another re-look at Spell of Words, did you buy the student and teacher's books?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

We've found Spelling Power to be helpful. Probably we weren't using it as the instructions suggested, but it helped because the words are grouped by which spelling makes which sound. Also, we emphasized looking at words one syllable at a time. Long words are not mysterious; they are just made up of syllables and you can learn to spell each syllable. By breaking things down like this, spelling seemed more manageable. We used the placement tests in the book to decide where to start. Each day we dictated 1/3 to 1/2 of the words on the list we were using. If 3 words were missed before we got through the portion of the list we were working on, we stopped there. Each missed word was then written 3 times. At the end of the week we re-dictated the words missed on the previous days of the week, along with others from previous weeks that had not been spelled correctly. Sometimes progress seemed slow, but finally we conquered! Not that the child we used this with is a fantastic speller as the result, but definitely much more competent.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2010 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We used Writing Road to Reading (it goes from basic to adult or college) but again - doing it our own way. I had another book that described how to use it and that has placement tests - don't know if that is sold anymore or not. Without that, it would be a real pain to use this program.

First, we do a placement test at the beginning of the year. Then we do review phonograms - as needed and do some of the charts as needed. I basically cut out phonograms from the sample of cards in the back of my book and laminated them. The children can quiz themselves on these. Charts - we simply made a copy and filled it in. We did not make the notebook that she describes - too tedious for the benefit. I did have them keep their charts from year to year so we do not re-make them every year, but we do add to them particularly if there is a word that they misspell that fits on these charts.

If my children had some tendencies that were easily addressed by some of the charts/rules we did them and continued to add to them. We skipped the ones for things they clearly already knew. We did not belabor either the phonograms nor the charts unless it was an area of weakness. I dictated words, they syllabicated and marked the words - (we did not go nutty over marking, if they forgot, we'd simply talk about it and mark it).

When we got to the point that my teen (we were dealing with severe spelling things with an almost high schooler and early highschooler) was spelling significantly better, we began to keep a running list of misspelled words from his written work (I would look at his notebook in science, his answers to questions in workbooks as well as his essays, etc.) and use these for his spelling list when we had collected about 20 words. We would dissect these words in the Writing Road way, study them and then test. Then we'd go back to Writing Road until we had a collection of 20 words again.

The final, final verdict isn't in yet, but this child's spelling is very improved and he improved noticably the first year we did Writing Road. We were seriously behind.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Erin wrote:
Angela

I remember that thread and I bought the other book recommended, ABCs and all their tricks. But I think I more need a lesson format to do a remedial crash course. Had another re-look at Spell of Words, did you buy the student and teacher's books?

I did. But I haven't really used the teacher's book very much. My ds has really been working through on his own. I don't have him do the composition exercises. I give him a spelling test at the end of each lesson to assess how well he's gotten the rule.

I decided to go with Spell of Words because I needed something he could work on independently of me this year. I had not been able to get started on All About Spelling (which I think he would have found a bit babyish anyway) or Phonetic Zoo so I had to come to the conclusion that "imperfect" was better than nothing at all. Spell of Words fit the bill, and it was cheap.

So, basically -- I doubt if this is the "perfect" approach but for us, it's the "good enough" approach.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Teachin'Mine2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Teachin'Mine2

I'd also recommend Spelling Power.   They can each start at their own level, and work through at their own pace. The more they get right, the further they progress, and they don't spend any time studying words they already know how to spell - only the ones they don't know.   Great for multi-level work at all ages, including adults.   

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 02 2010 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angel wrote:

I did. But I haven't really used the teacher's book very much. My ds has really been working through on his own. I don't have him do the composition exercises. I give him a spelling test at the end of each lesson to assess how well he's gotten the rule.

Now you have me intrigued, what else is in the book?

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 22 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Belle

I've been noticing a backslide my older two's spelling of late also.

We're going with a spelling bee approach. (Not so much against each other, more against themselves....but, they just can't seem to help but compete!)

We pick a list based on words they are encountering in their school work. I really like throwing in words from their Math and Science work. (The math text books my kids use have a small unit in each chapter on Math literacy, as sometimes it really is a whole other language)

Then every Friday night we have a spell off. It's a lot of fun. We end up laughing an awful lot. We haven't been doing it long enough for me to say whether it's really working or not, but it has at least made spelling fun....well, we'll wait and say how long it takes for the novelty to wear off!

Otherwise I may have to look into some of these spelling books/programs.
Back to Top View Belle's Profile Search for other posts by Belle

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angel wrote:
I picked up the text The Spell of Words based on a recommendation from one of your other threads, Erin, but I don't know if you were going to try it or not?

I'm using it with both my 13 yo ds and my 11 yo dd (who is a better speller than my ds, but hasn't had much formal spelling instruction). It's the only book I've found that really lays out spelling rules in a logical fashion and isn't condescending to older learners (because it's designed for older learners.)

Angela

Just wondering if G has got back to using this? I have to make a decision soon and am debating between Spell of Words and Spelling Wisdom. So hard to make decisions at time.

At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2010 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

Hi Erin,

My eldest is only 12 so this might not be the type of reply you're looking for. DS12 is a rather poor speller. We are using The phonetic Zoo which is def. helping. I like it b/c it requires very little imput from me, but is definitely a solid programme.

If I had more time and energy I would go back to Spell to Read and Write.

Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Our Spell of Words has finally arrived Dd16 has had a quick look and already informed me it explains rules to her understanding really well, it's going to be great if she gets it at long last

I'll give more feedback when we've used it more, thanks Angela

Oh and I did also download Spelling Wisdom and am loving it and seeing a definite improvement, I raved about it here

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just wanted to update and share, you can turn your teens spelling around     We've been using All About Spelling for nearly a year now and our two oldest boys 17 & 15 have made MASSIVE improvements They would now get 95% or more of words correct

I suspect some of it is due to ABS itself, but some of it is also the fact that they are then consciously thinking about spelling.

So for anyone else out there pulling out their hair there is hope

Now if only I could find a solution to their handwriting, remedial handwriting for teens...

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Thank you for updating, Erin! I am so thrilled to hear about your great results! You give me hope for my spelling-phobic ds!!!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Did you start at the beginning Erin?

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Stacy
So wanted to give you hope keep up the fight

Kristie

I did. Initially I taught five of them together as a class, and moved very quickly, then as the younger children found it harder I split my 'class' into two for so I could continue at a faster pace for the older ones. I've made it all the way up to level 4 and I'm ready to 'graduate' the older 2 boys, 17 and 15 (actually I 'graduated' ds17 a couple of months back and I'm planning on concentrating on ds13 who needs me to slow down. Currently dd11 wants a break and as she is a good speller I will let her potter with some spelling workbooks. (a new try for us). Using AAS with older children I adapted it a bit.

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thanks Erin- it is yet another spelling program I have on my shelf. Spelling is just so boring compared with all those great books and math!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2015 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Revisiting this thread for my rising 7th grader...

His spelling tests scores have plummeted and we've always known he struggles with spelling.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has found any ONLINE spelling programs that are helpful?

I'd love to find something to just plug him into over this summer. Computer based learning is much more appealing to him than another workbork... I don't employ it for many things but thought it might be a great medium to address his spelling issues.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2015 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

We've used the online program, Spelling City, in the past.

Erin, I ordered All About Spelling Vol. 1 with the exact intention of using it for all of my kids this summer, a crash course of sorts (like I also want to do for history!). Even my college age daughter is excited, so I am glad it worked so well for you.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version