Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Current Events Reading Recommendations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 22 2010 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'd like to subscribe to a magazine or newspaper for current event discussion opportunities as well as providing some writing opportunities (critique of articles, viewpoints, style, letters to the editor, etc.)

I'm not looking for political slant, but I do strongly prefer a Catholic source. Do you have a source you use that you enjoy sharing with your teen regularly?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 22 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm all eyes . Currently I'm pulling our current events from linked articles at myCatholic.com. I would love to have something in hand...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

This summer we are going to preview Catholic World Report and World Magazine.

The latter is a Protestant periodical.

We have had real trouble finding a news source that is not over sensationalist, all doom and gloom or have inappropriate material.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Jenn:

I have copies of Catholic World Report if you want to look at them, let me know and I'll bring them to the board meeting. You will probably want to preview issues before just handing them over to your dd. It is solidly Catholic and I appreciate it as a news source in our house.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

ALmom wrote:
Jenn:

I have copies of Catholic World Report if you want to look at them, let me know and I'll bring them to the board meeting. You will probably want to preview issues before just handing them over to your dd. It is solidly Catholic and I appreciate it as a news source in our house.

Janet

Thank you so much, Janet! I'd appreciate it if you could bring a copy to the school board meeting so I could take a look! Catholic World Report was one of the magazines I was considering as well as Inside the Vatican.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I'd like to know what you think about Catholic World Report as well. I've been considering it for a while, but I don't want to subscribe to anything until we have a new address.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

I just came across this thread when I was searching for a newspaper/magazine subscription for my soon to be 14 year old son. Has anybody used "The Catholic World Report" for or with young teenagers?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 03 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

pmeilaen wrote:
I just came across this thread when I was searching for a newspaper/magazine subscription for my soon to be 14 year old son. Has anybody used "The Catholic World Report" for or with young teenagers?

So many great periodicals and newspapers are going out of print. It makes me sad! I'm pretty sure that CWR is one of them. You can still read their great content online, but if you're looking for print sources, I don't think CWR is in print any longer.

I've been considering a subscription to National Catholic Register, but I haven't jumped yet. Possibly because we've found a way to make use of online articles for our current events. I really, really wanted a print source. I still would prefer it, but print media is dwindling markedly. Last year, I worked on cultivating some great Catholic news source sites that are online and I regularly email articles to my teen daughter. They either prompt discussions or sometimes spin off a writing project.

I recently signed up with Twitter, and I actually find that this helps me whittle through and find interesting articles on current topics pertaining to our faith very efficiently....which I then email to my dd for reading material.

Another tool we recently got is an ipad (we received one as a family gift from my in laws.) I'm considering some apps that will take online articles that I save, capture them, save them, and then I'd be able to collect them for my teen's reading on the ipad. Flipboard is an app I've been looking at for doing this. Just throwing that idea out there even though I haven't done anything with it yet...in case someone finds it relevant or useful for them.

We turn to print media for current events using local sources: in the area of natural history we subscribe to our state's natural history magazine (Outdoor Alabama) and a state gardening magazine as well as reading local events using our local paper.    

And, though not entirely current events, the articles in Gilbert Magazine are witty, timely, and often quite thought provoking and make great discussion starters. Really, really recommend this magazine for anyone with a teen, and there are some very good articles pertaining to current events, especially in the editorial section.

Do update and let us know if you find some other sources! I'm always interested!!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Mackfam wrote:

I recently signed up with Twitter, and I actually find that this helps me whittle through and find interesting articles on current topics pertaining to our faith very efficiently....which I then email to my dd for reading material.

Twitter is perfect for current event topics, often breaking news well before it hits any other source. It's one of the reasons I'm a fan.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm still using good ol' Google Reader, though I don't like that they have done away with the "like" and "share" button so i can't share with FB more easily -- so i just do the "share on FB" link to post stuff to my kids' FB walls.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Looking back on my experiences with my older children, one thing I wish I had done more of was inoculating them against media propoganda. By this, I mean reading and discussing articles written from viewpoints different than our Catholic one, and identifying the problems with these worldviews. We did do some of this, but I think I could and should have done more of it.

So, based on that perspective, with my current high school student, we are going to subscribe to The Economist as well as to either National Catholic Register or OSV. The Economist covers world events from a more global perspective and, while liberal in its editorial views, has factual articles that also are in-depth and explain something about the history of current events. The editorials and slant of some of the articles will give us some fodder for our discussions of worldview and help my dd learn to identify the techniques editors and writers use to push their own agendas.

If you take this approach, it is important to assign particular articles and then discuss them, identifying the flaws in thinking/perspective and comparing those flaws with correct Catholic teaching. I really wish there was some "canned" resource for this, but no. Don't just hand your student a secular news publication and have them read it without any counterbalancing input. It is too easy to accept as reasonable a persuasively worded article. Which is why I like to bring this whole area up to the level of conscious analysis and discussion...it raises awareness and produces a more cautious and less easily led citizen.

Again, I think this kind of exposure to general secular news media under your Catholic worldview guidance is very important to give your young adult both defense and ammunition against the prevailing cultural notions. It's definitely on my list of "what I would have done differently".

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

stellamaris wrote:
Looking back on my experiences with my older children, one thing I wish I had done more of was inoculating them against media propoganda.

I think this brings up a good point, and I wanted to mention a resource we use with our teen and our middle schooler that helps them in this regard. We play The Propaganda Game. The game will require some studying because players must be able to identify various techniques of propaganda to advance toward their goal of "clear thinker", but it's a great way to introduce this idea, become familiar with the techniques employed in Propaganda, introduce them and be able to discuss them. An additional bonus of this game is that it will introduce many common logical fallacies, providing a great springboard for introducing logic as a more formal subject. The game itself is quite funny. Players use example cards with sometimes exaggerated, sometimes more subtle "examples" of propaganda. The goal of the game is to correctly identify the technique used. An extension of the game that can be played once all players are quite familiar with the techniques is the attempted persuasion of other players that your viewpoint is correct, with the goal of persuading them to change their view to yours.

I'm not sure our family goal is to prevent our teens from being exposed to propaganda through media, because as adults they're going to be hit with a wall of it. But I couldn't agree more, Caroline, that I want my children to have the tools and be equipped to call a spade a spade!!! After introducing propaganda techniques, I have actually sent my dd articles that are highly skewed so that we can discuss them.

By the way, a great course follow-up to Propaganda (the game) is The Art of Argument: An Introduction to Common Logical Fallacies. It fits almost perfectly with the game!

GREAT side topic which is very pertinent to the context of reading current events, Caroline!

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

These look like fantastic resources I will definitely check out, Jen!

Thanks!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

stellamaris wrote:
Again, I think this kind of exposure to general secular news media under your Catholic worldview guidance is very important to give your young adult both defense and ammunition against the prevailing cultural notions. It's definitely on my list of "what I would have done differently".

that's why i do it through google reader. you can subscribe to most Catholic newspapers/blogs/etc. so i've handpicked solidly Catholic ones. since it's current you don't miss anything, and you're presented the Catholic viewpoint right away. for instance, Fr. Zuhlsdorf or Thomas Peters or Jimmy Akins will blog about this and that article from a secular source, and you get their commentary, references to what the Church really teaches, etc. it's a great way to begin a discussion, and build readership also for faithful Catholic writers. (my kids, for instance are great fans of the Archbolds, American Papist, Jimmy Akin, Jeff Miller (Curt Jester) and Fr. Z.) doing it this way is like having an extra filter -- i don't have to read secular news at all to be informed, and when i do it's already been analyzed and critiqued. they usually provide a link to the original article so if you want to take the extra step (and we usually do) we then read that and add our own thoughts to the discussion. it's a somewhat lazy way for me to teach my kids about current events, but the additional perspective really helps.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Mackfam wrote:
pmeilaen wrote:

So many great periodicals and newspapers are going out of print. It makes me sad! I'm pretty sure that CWR is one of them. You can still read their great content online, but if you're looking for print sources, I don't think CWR is in print any longer.

I've been considering a subscription to National Catholic Register, but I haven't jumped yet. Possibly because we've found a way to make use of online articles for our current events. I really, really wanted a print source. I still would prefer it, but print media is dwindling markedly. Last year, I worked on cultivating some great Catholic news source sites that are online and I regularly email articles to my teen daughter. They either prompt discussions or sometimes spin off a writing project.

Another tool we recently got is an ipad (we received one as a family gift from my in laws.) I'm considering some apps that will take online articles that I save, capture them, save them, and then I'd be able to collect them for my teen's reading on the ipad. Flipboard is an app I've been looking at for doing this. Just throwing that idea out there even though I haven't done anything with it yet...in case someone finds it relevant or useful for them.

We turn to print media for current events using local sources: in the area of natural history we subscribe to our state's natural history magazine (Outdoor Alabama) and a state gardening magazine as well as reading local events using our local paper.    

And, though not entirely current events, the articles in Gilbert Magazine are witty, timely, and often quite thought provoking and make great discussion starters. Really, really recommend this magazine for anyone with a teen, and there are some very good articles pertaining to current events, especially in the editorial section.

Do update and let us know if you find some other sources! I'm always interested!!

I came across two other ones, someone recommended to me. The first is called The Remnant and the second one is called Catholic Family News. I'm not sure if they are good for a 14 year old, though. I've also been looking at Newsademic, which is secular and comes in a pdf format to print out. That one would be good for a 14 year old.

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

My eldest son (15) likes the Wal Street Journal. He is very careful about what he reads, as there is definately some adult material in there. He especially likes the little sports section, the economy and business news and the political pieces with the election coming up. He is quite aware of propaganda and this newspaper has led us to many, many discussions on all kinds of things. We have subscribed since November and so far it has been a positive thing. After they are read, the newspaper is great for our fireplace and puppy kennel.   

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Kristen in TN wrote:
My eldest son (15) likes the Wal Street Journal. He is very careful about what he reads, as there is definately some adult material in there. He especially likes the little sports section, the economy and business news and the political pieces with the election coming up. He is quite aware of propaganda and this newspaper has led us to many, many discussions on all kinds of things. We have subscribed since November and so far it has been a positive thing. After they are read, the newspaper is great for our fireplace and puppy kennel.   

God bless,
Kristen in TN

My husband sometimes has his students read that one and then we get it at home also. My son does read in the regular newspapers, but I wanted something that is sort of a transition between the big paper and children's news. We have decided to go with the Newsademic mentioned above.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version