Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Book Stands for Planners Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 05 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

From this thread

MicheleQ wrote:
I am very "out of sight out of mind" too. It took me some time to get used to using my planner. I keep it open on my desk right next to my monitor where I can't miss it. I use a book stand (just ordered a new pretty one!) and use sticky notes all over it as well. I have a wall file folder right in front of me and a bulletin board.

I'm intrigued, Michele. I've been thinking that's what I need to do, make a PLACE for my planner. It needs to be open and in a home for me to see. My counter is the obvious choice, but just lying out is not a good visual message.

Anyone else do this? Got other suggestions?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

WOW! I was JUST thinking this over the weekend and had dh check at the hardware store (no luck) for one. I'm looking for one that I can attach to the wall to put the planner in the place where my wall calendar used to be since I'm SO used to looking there when I need to "check my calendar" and it's somewhere little hands can't reach

God bless,
Christine

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I've always wondered about this under cabinet holder, but the cost has kept me from taking the plunge.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Oh Maryan,

I am sooooooo drooling over that stand!!!!!!!

I have a galley style kitchen and just under 6 feet of counter space so that would be heavenly!!!!!

I desperately need something to put my planner/notebook on....

off to daydream!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

How about a lectern?

Seriously, depending on your space, a separate piece of furniture might work better than something on the counter. I've always wanted a pretty lectern for a large open dictionary. Some day! Just one of those simple old wooden ones on a pedestal--not the big boxy Baptist preaching sort.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I guess it was years ago that I saw this Franklin planner holder. The idea that I could scoot some papers underneath would work. It's not pretty, but functional.

I'm have lots of counter space, but less wall and cabinet space. But Maryan, I LOVE that cookbook holder. I could find space for that!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

What about those music binders that handbell choirs use where the back bends to form a stand?

I googled and found a few here and here

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Jenn, you are right. You have luscious counterspace. I'll bet Dave could build you one out of wood and you could paint/stain it. Something with a lift top and maybe an open space below to store files?

Or maybe somebody makes something like that!? I don't recall seeing it.

And Lindsey, I have a dictionary holder. It has to be tucked in a corner or the boys climb it. (Mine looks like a cubicle. A stand is a great idea, but I'm afraid any type of stand would meet the same fate in my house.

Hmm... I wonder if a small Bible stand would work?

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I have a under-the-cabinet one sort of like this one. Mine is a very inexpensive one...just white wire....I think my MIL got it at Lillian Vernon when we first got married.

There are millions of these on the market! Holy Cow!

A taller, sturdier book easel also works, but maybe wouldn't be as much fun to write on...you'd need to hold it a bit more than you'd like. But, it'd be an inexpensive way to see if the concept works for your situation.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Wow Suzanne, that's way more affordable. How sturdy is it to write on?

And I still can't find what I mean. But Jenn here's a picture of a desktop stand (expensive), but doesn't hinge like the one you linked. He gives measurements for how he made it: Scroll down to see the Desktop Stand on the right

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

An oldfashioned lapdesk is the closest I can find (of course, this one is out of stock: Wooden lap desk (ETA: But Amazon has it.)

Something like this with the legs cut off and a couple of hundred dollars taken off would work: Levenger stand

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I am not going to embarrass myself telling y'all how long I have been searching and looking into bookstands! Let's just say I've stomped around a bit on the web and am very happy with what I found and what I'm using. Caveat...this is not a review of *pretty* bookstands, like Michele's. These are practical and unobtrusive...and inexpensive!

My requirements:

** inexpensive - I wanted to purchase several bookstands for propping and displaying picture books and reference books open as well as for practical work uses - like holding typing books upright and open, holding a poetry book open for copywork, etc.
** needs to hold a book upright and open - see above note
** not have a large footprint - horizontal space on counters and shelves is valuable!!

My success came in finding bookstands at library supply sites. I purchased bookstands from two different vendors - Demco and Vernon Library Supplies

Demco bookstands - has my favorite selection BUT...has extremely high shipping. You will need to be attentive to your order and the amount charged - they accidentally overcharged me what was already a high shipping fee, but their customer svc. is GREAT which is why I can recommend them. They corrected the problem easily.

Every time I try to link directly to a page on Demco, the link goes to a dead end, so if this link doesn't work type in the following terms in their search feature: Economical Wire Book Easel.

Of the 9 book easels featured on this page, I have 4. I'll review them for you:

(G) Large Folding Wire Easel (white) - I like this stand A LOT!!! It's great for supporting and displaying a tall picture book, but also works very well at propping up a single sheet of paper. This comes in handy if a child is copying from that paper, using that as a reference, etc. The plastic covered wire has just enough *grab* to hold the paper or book in place without it being slippery.

(H) Double Deck Folding Easel (white) - I like this bookstand...it's nice, but not necessary. I can display a couple of small paperback picture books together with this stand.

(C) Large All-purpose Easel (white) - This is my favorite all purpose easel. It's large enough and has a high enough back to support a substantial size book. It has the lip in front that holds pages open. I use this frequently...to display a book open like The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady to the appropriate month and page...or to prop open a large field guide to a selection. It is backless though - just a wire frame which is sometimes an issue...this is why I also like the same basic bookstand in clear acrylic (review on those following.)

Extra Large Folding Easel (not shown) - This is functional and fine, but it's basically the Large All Purpose Easel minus the lip on front which I find very helpful. So...it's good, but not my favorite.

Medium Acrylic Easel with lip (if the link doesn't work enter these search terms on Demco's site: Medium Easel with lip) - This is my second favorite bookstand. It's solid acrylic so offers the back support needed for some books. Also, the lip is substantial on this bookstand so it keeps books open nicely. Because it is clear it is very unobtrusive - the book looks like it is just standing on its own. Great support! The medium is a good size and holds an average size book well. Because these are a little more expensive than the wire easels I only tried this one - I'm glad I did! It's a great multi-purpose bookstand!

IF you're considering the above stand for Michele's awesome planner...I tried mine in it --> the medium acrylic bookstand is not tall or wide enough to offer adequate support to keep a large size Family Centered Press planner supported. It would work fine for the smaller planner. For the large planner, this large acrylic book easel with lip from Vernon would do the trick nicely!

Vernon Library Supply - doesn't have as good a selection of inexpensive bookstands, but does offer a good acrylic option. Shipping is better though.

Front Lip Book Easel (7 1/4" high) - this is comparable to the medium acrylic book easel that I loved from Demco, but the price is much better!

Front Lip Book Easel (4 3/4" high) - I bought one to try. It's cute...but really too small to be multi-purpose.

Here are other choices from Vernon Library Supply.

I can't tell you how much I love using bookstands ALL OVER the house!!! I really would love to have a pretty one like Michele has for her planner...but if you're looking for some inexpensive all purpose stands I sure hope all my time spent stomping around online can help someone else besides me!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

SuzanneG wrote:

A taller, sturdier book easel also works, but maybe wouldn't be as much fun to write on...you'd need to hold it a bit more than you'd like. But, it'd be an inexpensive way to see if the concept works for your situation.

I just tried this out and it works GREAT!

:: I have one of those Large All-purpose Easels from DEMCO (that Jen linked above)
:: Put a sturdy piece of cardboard behind it....it could be decorated with pretty paper to make it look nice . I used a puzzle-back...we have lots of those that we use as writing surfaces.
:: Planner goes in front. It's GREAT to write on. It isn't HEAVY, of course, so you have to hold a part of the planner/cardboard.
:: You can't keep the planner open to "all week".....it has to be folded to see only 1 side.

This is a great inexpensive option!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

And, those book easels (Wire and Acrylic) are available at other places....you just have to look a bit. Even pottery, kitchen or book stores "use" them and they will sell them to you if you ask.   They are also at Joann's and Michael's. Just not as many choices as at the Library supply stores.

They are also available at "Display" stores in industrial districts. Places that sell coat racks, signs, mannequins, hangers, literature displays, etc.....to stores and merchandising and display stores....LOTS of them there.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I've just spent my whole lunch looking at Lindsey's tabletop stands, Suzanne's and Jennifer's! These are all great options!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

And, our Joann's (which is a mini-store) ALWAYS has these 13" Black Metal Stands ($7.99) that I buy with my 40% off coupons.

I originally bought a couple for displaying a couple pottery pieces....but I rotate them and use them for other stuff too.

This would work really well with that sturdy piece of "something" behind the planner. Very inexpensive and readily available. If they're at my Joann's, they are at anyone's.

It is DEEPER than the Acrylic or Wire Easels (about 4") so you could actually be putting other useful stuff there too. A great vertical workspace!

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

This may be overly simplistic, but my twin dds came up with an idea that has been working beautifully...
We had 2 hardware hooky things from Home Depot that we hung on the end of our black metal shelving unit at the end of the counter(it holds our dry goods) and it is right next to our mixer...it holds our recipe books so nicely. Maybe you can adapt this idea for your use...got a pegboard nearby?? there are a gazillion gadgets that you can adapt for use with a pegboard (which can be mounted almost anywhere) Think Pottery Barn...

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Maryan wrote:
I've just spent my whole lunch looking at Lindsey's tabletop stands, Suzanne's and Jennifer's! These are all great options!

I feel so understood!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Okay, so I got two new catalogs in the mail today, and of course one has a bookstand for Jenn and the other pajamas (going to post pjs next ).

Cucina Cookbook Stand

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

You know, I was a little apprehensive posting this, thinking I was the only one looking for options.

I'll be spending my lunchtime looking over the luscious options!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version